• Register
  • Help

Topic: Me keyboard took a turn for the worst!

Share/Bookmark

Red face Me keyboard took a turn for the worst!

Yup! Turned the sucker on tonight and ... nothing. No LED, no midi transmit, no coffee, no popcorn and worst of all ... I CAN'T WORK ON MY MUSIC TONIGHT!
    Time to really look at the options. So many and so little time to learn what's the best. Ya know, I don't think there is one keyboard out there that all of us would be satisfied with. That's leads me to turn to my only option. The town church organ. They'll never miss it and I can hook some pizza transducers up to the keys and midi it to my PC, right? No? Hmmmm, how about I just get the organ grinders from the corner (less his monkey of course)? No again? Then what do you suggest? Or is that, what do you have for me to digest?
    M-Audio Keystation 88 Pro? OK.
    Styxx

Re: Me keyboard took a turn for the worst!

Make sure you check all the power leads before you give up on the current keyboard. Power supplies go bad, your outlet strip could've tripped the breaker, even the power switch on the board itself could go south!

- m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

Thanks Mr. Mark, I just tested the unit and the power supply is good. I can use my Roland FP 8 for now but with no mod wheel it kind of sets you back a bit.
    I found an M-Audio Keystation 88 pro for $469 on line, printed out the info, called me buddy at Guitar Center and he said they will match the price. So, I save $30.
    Styxx

Before I put myself into hock, anyone have any experience with Edirol controllers or Roland?
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Thanks Mr. Mark, I just tested the unit and the power supply is good. I can use my Roland FP 8 for now but with no mod wheel it kind of sets you back a bit.
    I found an M-Audio Keystation 88 pro for $469 on line, printed out the info, called me buddy at Guitar Center and he said they will match the price. So, I save $30.

Styxx!

I've got a Keystation Pro I'll sell you for $350 - save you a lot more than $30...
    Careful, man, there's a beverage here!
    www.stevegoers.com

Quote Originally Posted by stevegoers
    Styxx!

I've got a Keystation Pro I'll sell you for $350 - save you a lot more than $30...
    Hmmm, how come you are selling?
    Styxx

I have an Edirol PCR-30. Needed something USB-powered that I could plop on my lap when in front of the PC (rolling over to the Kawai is an annoyance!). Pretty good feel, seemingly good construction, and lots of progammable knobs, sliders, and buttons, and even Expression pedal input (hold pedal, too).

Edirol just re-released the PCM series at NAMM with a few nice improvements. I'd suggest them to anyone with similar needs. Then again: not weighted, and the pitch-mod wheels are in the springy Roland "wangbar" configuration (didn't matter to me: I just assigned another slider to CC#1).

- m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Hmmm, how come you are selling?
    As a pianist, I HATE the action.

But, come to think of it, false alarm. I no longer have the original box, so shipping would be too dicey.
    Careful, man, there's a beverage here!
    www.stevegoers.com

Quote Originally Posted by stevegoers
    As a pianist, I HATE the action.
    Now that you mention it, I did try this unit out at Guitar Center while there buying a bass drum pedal. I noticed the black keys are kind of low. Almost half the height of a normal piano and other synths. There was a "bounce" back to the keys upon release that is more prominent than on my Roland FP 8 (which I am selling). So, that is why I am looking into others. Oh, and there is no after touch.
    I really don't have time to look in depth right now. Just can't stand buying something in a hurry then winding up with regrets later.
    Styxx

Go Back to forum