• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sibelius to GPO

Share/Bookmark

Sibelius to GPO

As a Sibelius user, I am very interested in exploring GPO. I realize that there are some hurdles to getting GPO to be the playback device in Sibelius - that's not really my issue. I want to use Sibelius as the composing/arranging/notation program, then use GPO to work on playback. So my question is this (and forgive me if this is so obvious as to not warrant mentioning): is is possible to import MIDI files into GPO, and tweak/modify etc.? In other words, save my Sibelius file as a .mid file, import it into GPO, and work form there.

I know the whole integration of the two is a.) possible, and b.) at times difficult. Until they are, could I do what I am asking above?

Also, as a practical matter, I have a Mac G4, 700 Mhz, 256 Ram. I suspect the memory is much too small, but is the processor fast enough?

Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions. I have been reading the board for a few weeks, and have been very impressed by both the helpfulness and civility.

Thanks.

R.P.

Re: Sibelius to GPO

Quote Originally Posted by rpearl
    As a Sibelius user, I am very interested in exploring GPO. I realize that there are some hurdles to getting GPO to be the playback device in Sibelius - that's not really my issue. I want to use Sibelius as the composing/arranging/notation program, then use GPO to work on playback. So my question is this (and forgive me if this is so obvious as to not warrant mentioning): is is possible to import MIDI files into GPO, and tweak/modify etc.? In other words, save my Sibelius file as a .mid file, import it into GPO, and work form there.

I know the whole integration of the two is a.) possible, and b.) at times difficult. Until they are, could I do what I am asking above?

Also, as a practical matter, I have a Mac G4, 700 Mhz, 256 Ram. I suspect the memory is much too small, but is the processor fast enough?

Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions. I have been reading the board for a few weeks, and have been very impressed by both the helpfulness and civility.

Thanks.

R.P.

I suspect you have a fundamental misconception of GPO. You don't import anything to GPO. You use it as any other instrument, whether your application is Sonar, Sibelius, or ?? GPO is a set of instruments. Quite good, but that is what it is, nothing more.

I also think your memory is rather limited. I got by for some time with 512 Mb, eventually went to 1 Gigabyte. I am not sure enough about your clock speed, to comment, but someone surely will! Any time you are dealing with audio and graphics, more is better! You set it up in Sibelius much the same way as Kontakt Gold or Silver.

Richard

With your current setup, GPO will be crippled running, but it will run. A possible scenario... You compose in Sibelius using whatever (Kontakt Silver/Gold, soundfonts, etc.) and then export the midi file. Then bringing that midi file into a sequencer you mix down using GPO. With your current setup you may have to mix down a track at a time due to the CPU being underpowered. You should still be able to load a fair sized chamber set in your RAM but without DFD you'll never be able to load the full piano or a full orchestra for sure. If you don't mixing down with GPO a track at a time until you get a more capable setup, then I don't see any problems. If you don't have a sequencing program, what you can do is use the standard Sibelius sounds and then when finished, load up GPO studio, set Sibelius up to use it as the sound output, and then mix with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    With your current setup, GPO will be crippled running, but it will run. A possible scenario... You compose in Sibelius using whatever (Kontakt Silver/Gold, soundfonts, etc.) and then export the midi file. Then bringing that midi file into a sequencer you mix down using GPO. With your current setup you may have to mix down a track at a time due to the CPU being underpowered. You should still be able to load a fair sized chamber set in your RAM but without DFD you'll never be able to load the full piano or a full orchestra for sure. If you don't mixing down with GPO a track at a time until you get a more capable setup, then I don't see any problems. If you don't have a sequencing program, what you can do is use the standard Sibelius sounds and then when finished, load up GPO studio, set Sibelius up to use it as the sound output, and then mix with it.
    Thanks to both - much clearer now. Yes, I suspected that my RAM was far short of the mark; that is one of the first things to address.

I'm sure I'll have more questions; this was a big help.

Thanks.

R.P.

R.P:

I tried using a Mac of your size and it was absolutely hopeless to be truthful. I then purchased a Mac PWRBOOK 1.5 GB with 1 GB of RAM. Now, I can honestly only load about 8 instruments for simultaneous playback without pops and clicks.

If I convert my MIDI tracks into AUDIO tracks, this lightens the CPU load and I could possible do more. So, if you try this procedure, you may be able to accomplish GPO orchestrations for small ensembles.

Please pardon my direct assessment in this matter, but I thought you would like to hear of my experience with a similar, first, Mac computer.

John
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhap2
    R.P:

I tried using a Mac of your size and it was absolutely hopeless to be truthful. I then purchased a Mac PWRBOOK 1.5 GB with 1 GB of RAM. Now, I can honestly only load about 8 instruments for simultaneous playback without pops and clicks.

If I convert my MIDI tracks into AUDIO tracks, this lightens the CPU load and I could possible do more. So, if you try this procedure, you may be able to accomplish GPO orchestrations for small ensembles.

Please pardon my direct assessment in this matter, but I thought you would like to hear of my experience with a similar, first, Mac computer.

John
    Thanks - I thought as much. Even though it lists 256mg as a number on the requuirements, I figured that would really be scraping the low end. Glad to know that before I dive in."Running" a program is different than being satisfied with it.

I really appreciate the input.

R. P.

Go Back to forum