• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Help Wanted Sound Designer

Share/Bookmark

Help Wanted Sound Designer

Job Title: Sound Designer

Job Summary: Waterford Research Institute, an educational software company in Sandy, Utah, is looking for a motivated, creative individual interested in becoming part of an exciting team developing innovative learning programs.

A Sound Designer at Waterford will develop music, sound effects, and voice-overs for educational software targeting elementary school aged learners. A strong ear for detail and a musical sense are critical. This person will work closely and collaboratively with interactive designers, artists, and animators to create engaging and educationally sound products.

Skills/Responsibilities:
     Recording session engineering – set up recording sessions, including music stands, manuscript, and microphone placement; recording multiple tracks and takes of parts of a song ensuring sound quality; ensure all recorded material is archived properly; advanced skills in multitrack recording software (Cakewalk Sonar preferred).
     Recording session producing – schedule talent for recording sessions; coach talent in recording sessions to enable them to achieve the best performance; ensure that the recorded performance is on-pitch and clearly enunciated; ensure that all recording is done according to spec
     Pre-production meetings – ensure that audio can be produced according to spec and deadlines
     SFX editing – edit previously recorded sound to fit the needs of a project
     Foley – create and sync sound to picture
     Music creation – create musical backgrounds using MIDI, audio loops, samples, or any other musical parts
     Design meetings – Work with a game design team to develop soundtracks, and document the sound pieces that need to be created

Qualified applicants should have:
     2 years professional experience in sound production. Completion of a sound recording, or recording engineer degree program is desirable
     Experience with 2-track stereo and multitrack recording and editing using digital audio workstations
     Have a good sense of visual as well as audible pacing when editing, and have a sense of the visual needs when producing audio
     Have a strong musical background, including the ability to read music notation

Please send resume and a demo CD, DVD, or website showcasing previous work to Ann Treacy at hr@waterford.org

Wink Re: Help Wanted Sound Designer

I'm from Poland... so The meetings would not be simple

Re: Help Wanted Sound Designer

A lot of companies don't specify if telecommuting is allowed or not. I wish they would say since in this day and age, a great deal can be accomplished without needing to be in the same building. In this case, I would guess that they would like an in-house guy so unless you're dying to relocate to Utah, I would say this is a gig reserved for those crazy Utahians!
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

Wink Re: Help Wanted Sound Designer

Quote Originally Posted by midphase
    A lot of companies don't specify if telecommuting is allowed or not. I wish they would say since in this day and age, a great deal can be accomplished without needing to be in the same building. In this case, I would guess that they would like an in-house guy so unless you're dying to relocate to Utah, I would say this is a gig reserved for those crazy Utahians!
    S*h*i*t I don't like airplanes

Waterford and surname of Treacy

i thought you were talking about Ireland ... and i was thinking WIT and wondering why I hadn't met you already..

was about to tell you about myself, but see you're in the States

good luck with it finding the right person

Claire

Smile Re: Help Wanted Sound Designer

Ann Treacy,

I think this sounds like an excellent opportunity. I will put my resume and demo CD into the mail tomorrow. Thank you for posting your ad at this forum.

Sincerely,

Todd Kinsley
    Sound Designer/Composer
    Todd Kinsley
    Sound Designer

http://www.toddkinsley.com

It does sound like a great opportunity. Telecommuting would be the only way I could do it at the moment but please review my samples. Thank you.

www.members.tripod.com/ditroiamusic

I mailed a demo that contained some movie files, only to find out that the movie files (in Quicktime) were actually dependent upon separate audio files stored on my computer! When I tested the CD before mailing it, I tested it on my computer, so it was fine. By chance, I tried it a few days later on a different computer, and discovered the problem.

I fixed the problem by saving the files as "self-contained" MP4 files, and I mailed out a new (working) demo the next day. Live and learn I guess.
    Todd Kinsley
    Sound Designer

http://www.toddkinsley.com

Why do you post your foibles on a public forum?

Lightbulb Re: Help Wanted Sound Designer

Perhaps he is a foibleholic?!

Then again, for the less expreienced, it is yet another example of how things can go oh so wrong. Always check out a new demo on various platforms just to be sure.

TOWER: Perhaps you should forward your concerns directly by the supplied email (hr@waterford.org), rather than trust this forum to get you message delivered. Posting here is of some voyeuristic diversion for us, but perhaps unhelpful to you. And good luck getting the gig.
    Doyle W. Donehoo, Composer
    Radar Music
    www.doylewdonehoo.com

Go Back to forum