• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Orchestration

I didn't know where to post this question, so I thought I would run it by you kind folks....

Is there such a thing as a "Bilble" so to speak , for orchestration ?... Please shoot me some idea's on some good reads in the world of orchestration...I hear plenty in my head, and have a good knowlege of music, but would like to learn the PROPER way to orchestrate a piece ... I'm sure there are plenty of "Bibles" out there , but I don't know which one(s) would work best...Thanks for your time.....Sincerely, Jim

Re: Orchestration

Samuel Adler
    Nikolay Rimsky Korsakov

these are the most common

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Thumbs up Re: Orchestration

Quote Originally Posted by lulu
    Samuel Adler
    Nikolay Rimsky Korsakov

these are the most common
    The Adler is particularly helpfull because it comes with 5 enhanced CD's full of examples and videos.

Do a search with "adler" and you'll get several threads about this topic.

Adler's The Study Of Orchestration is the best book but it's rather expensive with the cds. If you are familiar with instrumentation you can get only the book. If you are not, then the cds are highly recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by brilohead
    The Adler is particularly helpfull because it comes with 5 enhanced CD's full of examples and videos.
    Not trying to jump on your case or anything.. just wanted to point out that the book does not come with the CDs. This is the mistake I made. Saw the price of approx $90 and figured that would be the CDs and the book. Wrong.. it was just the CDs. I have yet to buy the book.

They're sold separately, at least where I bought mine (Amazon). I'm sure it's sold as a bundle at some stores..just be sure you know what you're getting.
    Sam Hulick

I've got the Samuel Adler book and I'd highly recommend it. It teaches you about all the instruments in the orchestra and how each section works (strings, brass, etc). But I think the best thing about this book is that it gets you to think and write like an orchestrator instead of a pop songwriter.

I read the book and now Elfman and other hacks like him are constantly asking me for orchestration tips. Damn bums....I wish they'd get a real job and leave me the hell alone.

I have the Forsythe book. It's so-so. I found it to be very wordy and quaint. It's very interesting from a historical perspective, but I wouldn't put it at the top of the list.

Kent Kennan's Orchestration is exceptional. Except I don't currently have a copy. Just the Adler which is decent but the Kennan covers things like what sond a woodwind will make at a certain register and volume- it's even charted which is cool.

Thank's to all for the info....I'll do a search on Adler....It looks like an overall favorite, and I like the idea of having example CD's also ...Make's for a complete experience... When learning ANYTHING, to me example's do so much for the learning process... Thanks again....Sincerely, Jim

The CDs that can be purchased for the Adler book are a nice extra benefit. Unfortunately I've had trouble getting some of the CDs to play and the way the examples are arranged on the CDs doesn't make alot of sense. Still, hearing some of examples in the book is quite valuable.

Go Back to forum