• Register
  • Help

Topic: Script to autostart Giga from a system boot

Share/Bookmark

Script to autostart Giga from a system boot

for those wanting to autostart gigastudio from a boot, you can\'t just place it in the windows startup folder as it needs 15-30 seconds initialising drivers before launching (otherwise you get an error). Here\'s the solution:-

1. Make sure \'Hide Extensions for known file types is switched off (explorer->tools->folder options->view\").

2. Create a text file on your desktop called \"gigastart.vbs\" (answer yes to change file extension)

3. copy and paste the following into this textfile (obviously changing the path if this isn\'t your default)

Set x = Wscript.CreateObject(\"Wscript.Shell\")
    Wscript.Sleep 30000
    x.Run (\"\"\"C:\\Program Files\\NemeSys\\GStudio\\GStudio.exe\"\"\")

4. Drag this file into your startbar->startup folder (or alternatively copy it to

C:\\Documents and Settings\\All Users\\Start Menu\\Programs\\Startup)

5. That\'s it! If you want to autoload your template from giga, just \"save settings as default performance\" after it\'s loaded it up the first time.

(for VSL users who want to autoload the vsl tool after giga\'s started and autoload up their own Tool Set (the performance tool currently has no \"autoload\" function), add this line to the script:-)

x.Run (\"\"\"C:\\Program Files\\VSL Performance Tool\\PerformanceTool.exe\"\" \"\"C:\\Program Files\\VSL Performance Tool\\Tool Sets\\blahblah.vlp\"\"\")

obviously replacing path/filename blahblah.vlp with your own default toolset.

Ian

Re: Script to autostart Giga from a system boot

Hi Ian,

I think your information may prove very helpful to anyone who takes the plunge and uses giga in a live situation with a desktop, so thankyou.

I\'ve often thought that if you have to plug in an external high end soundcard like an RME, and a firewire HD, and a midi interface to a laptop then you\'ve lost most of the convenience you were looking for.

What you\'re suggesting should work with a desktop with no monitor, obviously. Do you have any recommendations for shutting down properly in this situation? Alt-F4 doesn\'t always seem to work.

thanks,
    michael88s

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by michael88s:

I\'ve often thought that if you have to plug in an external high end soundcard like an RME, and a firewire HD, and a midi interface to a laptop then you\'ve lost most of the convenience you were looking for.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I agree with that. I use 4-space rackmount machines, which are not as portable as laptops, obviously, but which serve more ably and cheaply.

Hi Bruce,

For different musical needs, I was using a regular desktop in live situations for a while, inside an SKB 4 rackspace case, with an added case cooling fan.

It worked fine and was way economical, the only hassle being connecting and situating a 15\" flat panel monitor.

If there were a smaller and easier monitoring solution I\'d be a happy camper. I wonder if anyone knows of one?

michael88s

I think your information may prove very helpful to anyone who takes the plunge and uses giga in a live situation with a desktop, so thankyou.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I actually use it for my studio setup - kinda lazy I know but when you\'ve got 4 giga PCs to startup (with different boot times) there\'s a lot of waiting around having to launch giga and vsl on each one. Now I just hit the power switches and go and put the kettle on - when I come back everything\'s launched and loaded up.

Do you have any recommendations for shutting down properly in this situation? Alt-F4 doesn\'t always seem to work.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">hmmm...good question - not sure. I\'ve got power manamgenet switched off on winxp and in my bios so can\'t check this here, but I think there\'s a way of getting windows to shut down apps when you hit the power off button. Not sure if it prompts you for anything though so you may have to make a note of the key commands if it does.

Ian

Go Back to forum