• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GPO Winner of Orchestral Shoot-out and Tool4Music Awards

Share/Bookmark

GPO Winner of Orchestral Shoot-out and Tool4Music Awards

In a shootout between GPO, EastWest Silver and Edirol Orchestral; GPO emerged as the clear winner and walked away with the awards. Garritan Personal Orchestra also won the only Tools 4 Music Awards in both the Performance and Value categories.

The 6 page face-off praised GPO for its real-time controller system with its mod-wheel expression control, legato mode and variability controls. GPO also received high marks for the "Glissando Harp MIDI Packages", its "well coordinated sounds of orchestra", "simplest operation", the bundled sequencer and notation program", "instructive and equally worth reading" manual, and other features.

In all, GPO received a "total victory" in the shoot-out and "since the GPO is the lowest-priced product in the test, in addition it has secured the 'best value' victory - we congratulate!" writes Tools 4 Music Magazine.

Since its introduction over a year ago, Garritan Personal Orchestra has been receiving major industry awards and excellent magazine reviews worldwide for its superior sound quality, comprehensiveness, and unique capabilities. In addition to the two Tools 4 Music Awards, GPO is the recipient of the EQ Magazine "Exceptional Quality Award", the Game Developer Magazine "Frontline" Award, the Association of Independent Feature Film Producers "Recommended" Distinction, two Computer Music Awards and various nominations. The only other comparison I know of was PC & Music's March 2004 review of 19 orchestral libraries where GPO was deemed the bang-for-the-buck-winner alongside with VSL (I'm in good company). With orchestral libraries sometimes being debated with the vigor of religious or political debates, it is good to get objective and impartial report from highly respected publications.

I am very glad to see the prices of orchestral libraries come down as others follow our lead. More choices are good for the musician and things will get interesting as newer entries come to the market. The future will be bright with new innovations and more unique products.

We are proud to be honored for these achievements in providing quality libraries. These awards we share with our users who help us make better libraries and make the journey all the more worthwhile.

Gary Garritan

Re: GPO Winner of Orchestral Shoot-out and Tool4Music Awards

Congratulations on a job well done!!!

Well done! You've earned it!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Congrats Gary - it's been amazing to see this thing from the beginning and where it's gone since. Awesome job Gary, Tom, Jeff and the rest of the crew behind the scenes.
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

Congratulations Gary. I'll have my dad build you a shelf for all these awards.

Thumbs up Re: GPO Winner of Orchestral Shoot-out and Tool4Music Awards

Well done - congrats!
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

How interesting! I compared Edirol's HQ Orchestral to GPO back when I was fishing around for a good orchestral library and found there really was no comparison (and I normally LOVE Roland sounds...all the way back to the Roland RAP-10 sound card (anyone remember that little gem...heh heh...!)).

Fortunately most software libraries out there are waking up (or have already woken up) to the need for different articulations that the musician can control.

Now, if SOMEONE (maybe GPO can do this with the new morphing stuff?) could allow the musician to take, say, an Oboe, and have it be non-vibrato at first, but if you move a controller, it slowly adds vibrato (and you can control the amount and depth and all that) and it would actually sound REAL...I would be very happy! It would have to have some type of ability to crossfade between the samples because obviously you can't have it both ways, yet normal LFO isn't as realistic as a truly articulated vibrato by a true oboe player.

I know this has been hashed out elsewhere, so I'm not trying to start up another discussion (or hijack this one...sorry!), I just think we have to continue to press onward and upward in our quest for total and perfect control.

HOWEVER...congratulations...GPO deserves it and, while I haven't really tested out or listened much to the EastWest stuff, I am VERY glad I purchased GPO. In fact, I plan on re-arranging that old Billy Joel classic "Ballad of Billy the Kid" (for use in live performance) and GPO will be right there giving me those gorgeous bottom end horns, silky strings, and other "stuff" that will make "Ballad" shine. Can't wait to get to work!!
    Kevin B. Selby
    http://kevinselby.com <-- Public site
    http://kevinselby.com/gpo <--My music catalog FREE to GPO users: username: gpo - pword: garritan

Sweet! Just confirming what we already knew...
    Careful, man, there's a beverage here!
    www.stevegoers.com

Thumbs up Re: GPO Winner of Orchestral Shoot-out and Tool4Music Awards

Really ... Couldn't be any other way boss, hands down! Congratulations!
    Styxx

Congratulations! More well deserved recognition.
    Trent P. McDonald

Go Back to forum