• Register
  • Help

Topic: Cell phone MIDI problem Help please =(

Cell phone MIDI problem Help please =(

Hello all I recently started my first cell phone gig and I'm using general MIDI through a external program called Simple synth. I load each patch up in that program then I assign it in pro tools but once I export the file its not keeping the patches. The song will play using all Piano sounds as the default channel. My question is how do I tell pro tools to keep the patch for exporting? I am a bit confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Cell phone MIDI problem Help please =(

In Logic, one of the last steps I have to do is "insert instruments as midi events". You might have to do something similar. You have to have the midi events prefixed with an identifier to tell it what instrument to use on the phone.
    Eric Doggett
    MoonDog Media

Eric is correct. You need to actually write the instruments in as "program changes". I doubt that SimpleSynth has a way to "pass" this info to ProTools, but if ProTools has built in MIDI sequencing support, I would assume there is some way to manually enter the program change values. So for a basic Piano, you would use program change value 001. Here's a list of all the patches - each track will need at least one of these inserted at the very beginning of the song.

ahh thanks alot guys, with your help I figured out the problem and how in pro tools to assign the patches! Thanks a ton!

Hey guys I ran into another problem, I've got the instrument patches changed fine but I can't change the Gm drum set sounds on. On the patch listing it has the drum sounds listed as the same as other sounds already on the list. For example in simple synth I"m using the patch called standard it has a full kit and I"m using that bass drum. and then I'm using another patch for high hats called electra. How in the world Do I find thats assignment? I'm lost now hehe

Go Back to forum