• Register
  • Help

Topic: Does anybody know how to..?

Share/Bookmark

Does anybody know how to..?

I asked this in the Gigastudio forum but didnt get an answer, I hope somebody can help me here.

Im a SONAR user, and i need to work in a project that somebody else left unfinished in PERFORMER, I tried saving it as a MIDI file in performer 6, thinking that I"d be able to open it in SONAR, but I cant, it tells me that it is a MAC BINARY something... Does anybody know if that is possible?

I already tried MIDI 0 and 1, i made sure the flie extension was corrrect (.mid), i dont know what else to do... Im not a PERFORMER user, nor a MAC user, so probably Im doing something wrong... Any ideas?

DanielT

Re: Does anybody know how to..?

Quote Originally Posted by DTrevino70
    I asked this in the Gigastudio forum but didnt get an answer, I hope somebody can help me here.

Im a SONAR user, and i need to work in a project that somebody else left unfinished in PERFORMER, I tried saving it as a MIDI file in performer 6, thinking that I"d be able to open it in SONAR, but I cant, it tells me that it is a MAC BINARY something... Does anybody know if that is possible?

I already tried MIDI 0 and 1, i made sure the flie extension was corrrect (.mid), i dont know what else to do... Im not a PERFORMER user, nor a MAC user, so probably Im doing something wrong... Any ideas?

DanielT
    Since you didn't say, I'll have to ask: did you use a PC Windows formatted diskette?
    I use an older Mac system for file transfers, so for me, I place the PC formatted diskette into my Mac's diskette port. I would then export the file from DP as a standard midi file onto the PC diskette (and although it may not be necessary these days, give the file an 8.3 name scheme). Following that, close the apps, remove the diskette from the Mac port, re-insert it into your PC, and I would expect it to work in any PC seq that can import standard midi files. (Actually these days, I do it all over ethernet.)
    If it does not work, I would expect that there is a problem with the export-to standard midi file routine. It may be your booboo so study the manuals (or manufacturer's web support sites if you don't have manuals). Could be a DP bug, but I doubt it.
    ~Rudy
    helmproductions.com
    =====================
    Rock-a-doodle-doooo!!

I did not try that, what I did is that i saved the file as midi in the mac, and then e mailed it to me... but now that I remember, is an Imas, so theres no floppy drive available.. i will ask for their manual, i hope they have them, is not my computer, thankyou

Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by DTrevino70
    I did not try that, what I did is that i saved the file as midi in the mac, and then e mailed it to me...
    Daniel
    Dang, that SHOULD work... it gets around the disk format problem entirely. It seems what Performer considers a standard .MID file is not what SONAR considers a standard .MID file. I wish I knew what to tell you... you need to talk to a PERFORMER user!!

Quote Originally Posted by FredProgGH
    Dang, that SHOULD work... it gets around the disk format problem entirely. It seems what Performer considers a standard .MID file is not what SONAR considers a standard .MID file. I wish I knew what to tell you... you need to talk to a PERFORMER user!!
    Hmmm...yup and if you're going to email the file to yourself, another thing to try before you actually fire it off to email-land, is to use a data compression program (think Alladin Stuffit and PC WinZip). Get a similar app that understands both compression formats. I think I've heard it said that you can email your file from a Mac environment (which, of course, began as a Mac Binary), but you must first convert the file to a text-compression scheme. Then, on the PC side, have a utililty that understands the text data started out as a Mac Binary but needs to be translated into a PC file. Once you've completed that much, you're good to go.
    (I use Timbuktu to this transparently, but via ethernet).
    ~Rudy
    helmproductions.com
    =====================
    Rock-a-doodle-doooo!!

Go Back to forum