• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Hard Drive and RAM questions

Share/Bookmark

Hard Drive and RAM questions

I\'m currently building a computer, and I\'ve got the hard drive down to 2 solutions:

1. Seatgate Barracuda 7200.7 120GB (Serial ATA, ATA/150, 7200 RPM)

2. Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 120GB (IDE, SATA, 7200 RPM)

Are these hard drives alright for running gigastudio and sonar on one comp.? Also, about RAM, I\'ve got it down to Kingston 1GB KIT 400MHZ DDR PC3200 DIMM 3-3-3. Is this alright?

Thanks!

Re: Hard Drive and RAM questions

If the machine will be in your listening area, get the Seagate - it\'s the quietest drive on the market. If the PC\'s in the next room, toss a coin.

You should be fine with those. I\'m a big fan of the Western Digital Special Edition\'s, but as long as the drives are 7200RPM and work...you\'re good. A gig of RAM is right at where you need. PC3200 will do just fine. One of my friends who\'s majoring in computer technology and network systems, says that when you use the 3rd RAM slot on your board, it can create all sorts of problems. Anything from long boot times to random restarts. If you have one of the N-Force 2 mobo\'s then you should be able to use the dual ddr function. And yes, running Gigasamples on a separate hardrive from the OS is a wise decision. It\'ll keep your polyphony and voices up (did I say that right?). Anyways, your setup should be strong.

I\'m going to be purchasing 2 Western Digital 120GB SE\'s, plus another stick of Samsung 512MB ddr333.

Jared

Great. Thanks a lot! My dad doesn\'t really like the Seagate stuff, but I don\'t see any reason why he wouldn\'t. I\'ll probably get a couple of those. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Originally posted by greatzed:
    Great. Thanks a lot! My dad doesn\'t really like the Seagate stuff, but I don\'t see any reason why he wouldn\'t. I\'ll probably get a couple of those. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Seagate hasn\'t had real issues since the days of 20 meg MFM/RLL drives that I\'ve heard of. Since then, they\'ve been quite solid drives, and haven\'t heard complaints about them. Why doesn\'t he like them?

Devon

I misunderstood him. He meant some drives that aren\'t meant for professional use are basically junk. I guess Seagate made some non-professional drives that were crap.

The only problem I have with Seagate is that their drives are rarely on sale at Frys. WD pricing has been much more aggressive.

Seagates are great. After having to live with noise problems with WD, so-called new noiseless Maxtors, IBM\'s etc, I am only buying Seagates these days. The only quiet drives around.

What about the 80 GB size limit per drive that Giga/Tascam recommends. Is everybody ignoring that?

------------
    Alex Cremers

Is that true?

Also, I\'m wondering when I buy a motherboard and a case, how do I know if the port slots on the case are going to match up with the ports on the motherboard? Right now I\'m looking at an Asus P4P800 Deluxe P4 and a LifeStyle Series ATX Midsize Tower.

Go Back to forum