• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Alright people...

Share/Bookmark

Unhappy Alright people...

Well, I've been here for over a year and shared some ups and downs with you fine people and I've helped out as much as I can... What do I want in return? Now, its my turn. I'm having the worst day as far back as I can remember and I can honestly say, its all downhill from here.

So cheer me up!

Styxx, crack a joke or something buddy cause I'm gonna lose it.

Re: Alright people...

Long distance hug!!!

Is everything ok?

JB - we're here for you - give me a call if you need man - I hate to hear someone in this situation - I know we all have bad days - but it sounds like you're having the worse.
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

Rotten days suck but the "worse day in your life" sounds pretty serious - is there anybody around there you can talk to face to face? Might help more than anything we can do on line.

Not that that will stop us from trying - even if you hadn't done so much for the forum we'd still be pulling for you.

I'm not that great in the cheering up department so I'll try to call styxx -

Hey Styxx!!!

It's about 500 miles to Bison (the ones in America aren't really Buffalo, you know) from here - do you think he heard it?

Anyway, anything we can do just let us know.
    Trent P. McDonald

The man's nuts... grab 'em!!

That's always good for a smile, eh?

Sorry to hear you're so down, JB. Hope things pick up in a hurry.

Best,
    Shaz
    www.EricHermanMusic.com
    - Cool Tunes for Kids -

Hey, man.

We all know that sometimes life throws you situations that are just going to suck, and no matter how many sincere and heart felt good wishes you get from your friends, it still sucks. However, the gist of one article I wrote years ago when I was writing my Notes from the Road column is very pertinent. When life gets you down, it can take your attitude and perspective with it. What happens next is what I described in "The Whirlpool", where a bad thing puts you in a bad mood, which encourages the next bad thing to happen, the mood worsens, rinse and repeat. It's a dangerous place to be.

I've experienced it many times when I was younger (which is why I wrote about it), and the cycle usually got to crashing cars, failing health, financial disaster, etc. before I caught on to what was happening and took control. I never said I was a particularly quick study.

For what small bit that it may be worth, here's a very simple tactic I've taught students and clients over the years to help keep your grip during tough times so that you don't spiral into this destructive cycle.

First, I would simply remind myself that whatever unpleasantness I was enduring, this time next year it would just be another war story. Yeah, I know, seems extremely simplistic, but you might find it surprising how much that can give you the strength to make it through a sucky today.

The other thing takes a bit more effort, but is likewise profitable.
    1. There are a finite amount of actions you can take regarding this situation
    2. Analyze them all, and pick the best one
    3. Do it
    4. Is there anything else that can be done?
    5. Repeat from step 1 for each action until the answer is no
    At this point, you've done everything that can be done. Literally. Chewing over yesterday creates high antacid bills without changing today. Worrying about tomorrow is pointless since you've done all that can be done. Now comes the hard part. Since there's nothing left to do, and a dark attitude brings dark situations, let it go, and make a decision to simply be happy in this given moment. Not the flaky, shallow, phony spiritual guru "don't worry be happy" nonsense. Rather, a practical, "screw it!", life goes on perspective that there's nothing else to do, so you're going to move on with life and not let it spoil the rest of your day. At first, this will be an artificial decision. What happens, essentially, is that you just pretend to be happy, and give that pretending your best shot. As the day wears on, the good attitude becomes less artificial and more real. Before you know it, you're in good spirits again and creating good situations instead of bad.

Why does this stuff work, as improbable as it seems? Beats me. If you want the physics behind it, you'll have to find a rocket scientist and buy him a drink. All I know is that I spent many years as an extremely volatile creature, and it consistently worked for me. When I would put forth the effort to actually do it, that is. Nothing happens by magic.

Anyway, take it for what it's worth. All I know is that I've experienced some extremes in my life and figured out how to deal with them. If you're walking down the same road, the least I can do is show you how to dodge the potholes that I nearly broke a leg on. I mean, why should both of us have to learn the hard way?
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Talking Re: Alright people...

For cripes sake I was just in the shower when I heard some yelling at the top of their post "HEY STYXX" and I slipped on the soap, fell on the shower massage unit, it went squirting all over the bathroom like a drunk who can't find the toilet and to top it off ... my right foot hit the hot water and turned it off which left the cold water squirting up my, well, you know.
    Geezzz! What gives?
    Wait ... I can't see a damn thing with all this shampoo in my eyes. Oh carp! I must have shaved a strip across my head when I fell. That's what I get for holding a razor at the same time!

What, what's this I see? Why It's me Southern buddy in despair! Here is what I want you to do. Take di-spare and put it in the trunk of your car till ya really go flat! Expect contact from the North!
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    Well, I've been here for over a year and shared some ups and downs with you fine people and I've helped out as much as I can... What do I want in return? Now, its my turn. I'm having the worst day as far back as I can remember and I can honestly say, its all downhill from here.

So cheer me up!

Styxx, crack a joke or something buddy cause I'm gonna lose it.
    Well, when I am in such a situation, not much since 1974, I have always survived by telling myself "this too shall pass".

But for a qood belly laugh a minute, try the CD of South Park. I laughed so hard it set off an asthma attack!

Richard

yep, I agree Richard. This too shall pass, with the help of God!
    I use that one alot!

Hang in there Joseph buddy
    Dan

Hey Styxx, I knew you'd hear if I shouted loud enough. And just to make it clear, I have it from the highest authority that the name of the city in your neiborhood is misnamed -

"I prefer Bison"

I hope things pick up for you soon Joe.
    Trent P. McDonald

Go Back to forum