• Register
  • Help

Topic: Piano Concerto No. 2, 1st movement preview

Share/Bookmark

Piano Concerto No. 2, 1st movement preview

I've mentioned my new piano concerto several times on the forum, and I now have a GPO version of the first movement posted on my website.

Be aware of a couple of things. First, this is a large download--almost 12 megabytes. The first movement is 13 minutes long. The whole concerto is close to 35 minutes, my longest piece to date.

Second, this is not really a definitive version, and was not intended to be. My main goal was to provide a "practice tape" for the soloist and conductor, and for that purpose it's sufficient. Most of this comes straight from a MIDI file generated by Finale, with human playback turned on. I did a little tweaking on the file in Sonar, but due to time constraints I didn't polish it as much as it needed. The piano sounds stiff in places, and the pedaling could definitely be improved. So if you approach this as a "preview" of the concerto, it will make more sense.

If, after reading all that, you still want to hear it, you can do so here:

http://www.swanswingpress.com/MP3/Pi...%20preview.mp3

Enjoy!
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Re: Piano Concerto No. 2, 1st movement preview

I took the time and am impressed. Actually, I'm on my third time through.

I know you put it on another post, but when is this going to be performed? Not as if I'll be able to make it to Indiana...

Well, good luck. I can't wait to hear the "definitive" version.
    Trent P. McDonald

Dear Dan,

You have no business makin' such great music.
    Why, there oughtta be a law ag'in it!

But no, really, this is (only) the first movement? How many mvts will it be in the end? The first mvt has so many ideas goin' in it, I don't where your gonna come up with any more for the other mvts.

Well, dang! I'm impressed,
    ~Rudy
    helmproductions.com
    =====================
    Rock-a-doodle-doooo!!

Quote Originally Posted by trentpmcd
    I know you put it on another post, but when is this going to be performed? Not as if I'll be able to make it to Indiana...
    Shame on me for not mentioning it before.

The premiere will be on March 5, at Tilson Auditorium here in Terre Haute IN. My wife, the amazing Martha Krasnican, will be playing the solo part. The orchestra will be the Terre Haute Symphony Orchestra, conducted by David Bowden. I know it's a long trip for most of you, but if anyone decides to come, let me know and I'll have them hold some tickets for you.

And Daag, there are three movements altogether. The second is a quiet, somber piece for piano and muted strings. The third is a bit livelier, but very melodic. I'm well into the GPO version of the second movement now, and it should be up sometime next week.

Another thing I should have mentioned before is that the piano is not the GPO piano. It's the PMI Bosendorfer 290. (I've always liked the sound of Bosendorfers.) Everything else is GPO.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

[QUOTE=danpowers]Shame on me for not mentioning it before.

The premiere will be on March 5, at Tilson Auditorium here in Terre Haute IN.

well hey that was fun I listened to the whole thing
    I hope your permiere is a super success, and I think the strings in GPO sound great and brass

Quote Originally Posted by danpowers

The premiere will be on March 5, at Tilson Auditorium here in Terre Haute IN. My wife, the amazing Martha Krasnican, will be playing the solo part. The orchestra will be the Terre Haute Symphony Orchestra, conducted by David Bowden. I know it's a long trip for most of you, but if anyone decides to come, let me know and I'll have them hold some tickets for you.
    Dan,

We're eager to find out how the performance went. Mostly likely your music and your wife's performance brought the house down. Wish I could have been there to hear it. It must have been an amazing experience. Looking forward to hearing about your experience.

All the best,

Gary Garritan

Go Back to forum