• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Gigastudio causes my pc to restart without notice.

Share/Bookmark

Gigastudio causes my pc to restart without notice.

When I go through the initial setup up gigastudio 96 and click on finish, my monitor goes black and my pc reboots. Has anyone had this problem or does anyone know what causes it? Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance

Re: Gigastudio causes my pc to restart without notice.

heres a way arround it. I\'m on XP so I do not know if it works on 98 or 2000...
    Go to control panel , click on System, advanced, start up and recovery, and uncheck the box that says auto restart.

I tried your suggestion and instead of my pc rebooting i got a blue screen saying it had to shut down to protect system or something like that. Anymore suggestions? Anyone?.... [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Malinger, try disabling Filespy activies in GS. If that doesn\'t work, you could try removing MSG32.EXE from the automatic startup list and run it yourself before running GigaStudio.

I am running Windows XP Pro. I did I have SP1 until I descided to reformat and reinstall everything to see if maybe this would solve the issue. Sadley... no...
    I will list my specs so you guys may suggest or know of conflicts with hardware or software.

AMD Athlon XP 2800+

Soyo Ultra Dragon KT400 Chipset with latest updates for both chipset and bios.

Windows XP Pro. I installed Gigastudio before I installed SP1. When GS was not working properly I installed SP1 to see if this would fix problems. It did not so I reinstalled everything. Of course I formatted everything to completely erase any traces of GS\'s previous installation. As of now, I am not running windows with SP1.

2- 60GB Seagate Hardrives. 1 I use for internet and other stuff and the other I use for recording (or, I will as soon as I get GS to work).

2- 80GB Seagate Hardrives. 1 I use for streaming GigaSamples and the other I use for recordings.

1GB of Kingston RAM

Yamaha 44x24x44 with latest firmware.

Conexant 56k modem which I use for internet connection on both my daw harddrive as-well as my other one. I only connect to the internet on my music harddrive to update my files.

Highpoint RAID is installed. I don\'t have RAID ARRAYS but I had to install it in order to use the 80 GB drives that are connected.

Gigastudio 96 w/ 2.5 update

MOTU HD 192 Core System w/ PCI 424 sound card with drivers supporting Gigastudio installed.

I think thats it. I don\'t have anyother software installed on my daw hard drive except for some of the regular Windows XP stuff that I did not strip. The system is configured for recording.

I\'ve already ran GS in diagnostic mode and sent it to tech support. I\'ve been to the official GS forums and found nothing. I\'ve read that GS tech support is not \"supportive\". From what I\'ve read they tend to blame hardware that is installed instead of admitting to the problems with GS. I\'ve also tried disabling \'monitor file activity,\' no luck. I\'ve tried disabling auto restart in windows and instead of my system restarting I would get a blue screen say something about a GS driver failing or something like that. I don\'t know how to disable \'filespy.sys in GS, can someone tell me how? Thanks to all of you trying to help me out with this problem. Sorry this reply is so long.

Malinger, try disabling Filespy activies in GS. If that doesn\'t work, you could try removing MSG32.EXE from the automatic startup list and run it yourself before running GigaStudio.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">How do I do this?

It sounds like GS\'s kernel-level code is banging up against some driver. Do you have MidiOx? It\'s known to have problems. What other hardware is in the system? Are the drivers up to date?

This can also happen due to flaky RAM. Do you have Corsair, some brand name, or just the generic stuff? If you have more than one chip, try swapping them.

I had the same problem with you so I\'ll tell you what I did to repair it.

First restart your computer in safe mode and do a restore point (before you installed gigastudio) then install gigastudio 2.53 restart, then install 2.54 then in options and disable monitor file activity and you will have an non rebooting gigastudio machine.

enb141, I tried your suggestion but it failed to fix the problem.

Hmm, that\'s weird, did you installed the 2.54 patch?

Do you have installed windows xp SP1?, do you have the latest sound card drivers?

I also checked the \"optimizing windows xp/2000 for gigastudio\" http://www.nemesysmusic.com/pdf/optimizing-xp-and-2k.pdf at gigastudio\'s website, there\'s some settings that you should change for example the way you log on into windows xp, the way that the CPU uses their resourses (Application or Services in where Applications is the default but Services is the must have to be setted) and so on, check that file and probably the conjuction of those settings make you to not boot randomly

Malinger, there\'s some entry called \"Monitor file activies\" or something like that in Quicksound settings.

Go Back to forum