• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Using GPO with Finale suggestion

Share/Bookmark

Using GPO with Finale suggestion

Hi,

I've finally gotten around to getting myself a decent MIDI keyboard with a mod wheel to use with GPO.

I've found a good way of using Finale to playback through GPO with my expression as opposed to human playback (no offence intended Robert) is to have two saves for each instrument both set to the same midi/GPO channel. I enter the notes as normal in the first staff and then use Hyperscribe to record Mod wheel and Sustain pedal continuous data in the second staff (see my separate post for a possible workaround necessary to record sustain pedal data).

I've only been messing around with this method for a few hours this afternoon, but I thought it was an idea worth sharing.

Any feedback or further suggestions on this would be welcome.

Cheers,

Richard N.

Re: Using GPO with Finale suggestion

Hi Richard! I'm a Finale 2005 user myself, and while I do choose to use Human Playback (mainly because it makes the harp roll the chords, and stuff like that), I have discovered a few little problems here and there: one is that Human Playback/GPO seem to work better with score dynamics when staves/instruments aren't bracketed together (If you compose for organ, for instance, putting a brace around the two "manual" clefs seem to mess up their HP independence -- at least I think that's what's going on).

I'm hoping that the Finale people will get the GPO/Human Playback interfaces even more extensive in further iterations of the software.... if they don't, they're making a dumb market decision, in my opinion
    Steve Main
    stmain@aol.com
    www.stephenmain.com

Steve,

Just a thought. If you want to make sure your "manual" staves will be independent, put them on separate midi channels. Each with it's own set of dynamics.

I don't see how the bracket could affect HP's midi playback. It's only a graphic onscreen and has no midi value.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Turner
    Steve,

Just a thought. If you want to make sure your "manual" staves will be independent, put them on separate midi channels. Each with it's own set of dynamics.

I don't see how the bracket could affect HP's midi playback. It's only a graphic onscreen and has no midi value.

Jeff
    Right, Jeff... When I had tried that in the beginning, it hadn't seemed to help -- but I think you're still correct, and that the problem was that my Layer 1 (Finale talk here, which I assume you're comfortable with) was separate channel for each stave, but then my Layer 2 was "full organ" (thus violating the rule you point out above, sharing and instrument over two staves). I suppose the way around this is to open up a separate instance of "full organ" or whatever for each stave.

I use separate layers so that I can mimic the changing "stops" on the organ. What's too bad about Finale is that it makes simply "adding" one instrument to another that's already playing so difficult. It would really help create what an organist naturally does in adding stops.

There are times I think I'll change from Finale, but I've gone too far into it over the years to risk switching (and I may not be smart enough for a different program!)

Steve Main
    Steve Main
    stmain@aol.com
    www.stephenmain.com

Quote Originally Posted by stmain
    There are times I think I'll change from Finale, but I've gone too far into it over the years to risk switching (and I may not be smart enough for a different program!)

Steve Main
    Steve,

I know what you mean. I keep wanting to try Overture, but I know Finale so well and everything about it is second nature to me, that I'm not ready to make the commitment and learn another program.

Jeff

Question Re: Using GPO with Finale suggestion

Alright, I'm having a weird related MIDI issue.

I downloaded and opened a MIDI file that was a two-track piano accompaniment. I wanted to use the HP feature, but was told that the two tracks were sharing the same instrument, which might (and did) cause problems in playback. I tried to assign the two tracks to two different instruments and ... I get only silence on playback.

So for example, if

* Both tracks are set to Channel 1 (Acoustic Grand). I hit play and get the warning about sharing the same instrument and asks me if I really want to play back with Human Playback. If I say "Yes", I get no sound. If I say "No", it plays.

* But if I set track 1 to channel 1 and track 2 to channel 2, I get no warning and no sound.

* If I then reset track 2 to share channel 1 (as I had before), I get the warning AND no sound, even if I say "No".

* If I then go to MIDI Setup... and select Default MIDI Output Device, then sound returns.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Jeff Cagle

Jeff,

Are you having trouble with only this specific midi file or the Finale/GPO combination in general?

Here's one link which discusses getting things working together.

http://www.keyboardmag.com/story.asp...&storycode=164

Also check out the Finale help page on the GPO website.
    If this doesn't help, let us know.

Jeff T

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Turner
    Jeff,

Are you having trouble with only this specific midi file or the Finale/GPO combination in general?
    Thanks, Jeff. I realized from your post that my issue is somewhat unrelated the the thread ... I'm not using GPO, only the standard SmartMusic SoftSynth (I'm assuming from the website that GPO is a sophisticated MIDI synth -- yes?).

This issue has occurred with several other MIDI files before, but I never pursued it because of the workaround and because I've never tried to use HP before.

If you like, I'll repost in a different thread, or I can just stick to this one.

Thanks for your patience,
    Jeff Cagle

Quote Originally Posted by jrcagle
    This issue has occurred with several other MIDI files before, but I never pursued it because of the workaround and because I've never tried to use HP before.
    Jeff, if you start from MIDI files, it is rather important for HP to have a clean instrumentation. For instance, a piano (or a harp or organ) needs to be braced and named properly, winds should have the right transposition, strings the right clef, and so forth. HP is quite sensitive to the notation.

Robert

Jeff,

If you're using the softsynth , you'd probably get better answers on Finale's Forum.

http://www.finalemusic.com/forum/

Good Luck,
    Jeff

Go Back to forum