• Register
  • Help

Topic: Keyswitch plug-in

Share/Bookmark

Keyswitch plug-in

As posted earlier, whenever I load a KS instrument into the Player the instrument sounds (sometimes several times) when I start playback in Finale 2005a and again when I stop. This is regardless of whether the instrument is supposed to be playing! I've experimented further and this is really weird; I get a Bass Drum (or whatever) sound even when I simply click the mouse to minimise GPO or switch focus to Finale. This sounds like something wrong with my set up but before I go any further, I thought I'd try the keyswitch expressions that Jeff put together because these ought to work. However, I'm getting 'invalid file type'. I remember reading there was a problem with this but I can't find the thread. Can anyone help please. I'm using a PC. As far as the KS sounds playing at unexpected times, could this be something to do with midi settings? My first symphony is almost complete but without the bass drum and triangle....!!

Re: Keyswitch plug-in

Graham,

Sorry you're still having some problems. I don't have an answer about the bass drum sound you're hearing. Are you hearing this sound when only GPO standalone is open. (when Finale's closed) If you still hear it then, you probably have a setup problem.

As far as the keyswitch file. (It's not really a plug-in, it's a text library file) If you're having problems with that file, go back to the GPO/Finale webpage. Just beneath the keyswitch file is another option, a keyswitch library. The library is a text document, not a finale library file. So do this.

Right click on the link, save to disk. Open Finale and the file you want to put the library in. Under the file menu, choose load library. Only finale library files come up at first, change the selection box to show "all file types". Locate the keyswitch library file you downloaded and select it. Click OK.

This library add a group of text expressions to your current finale file. The new expression will automatically switch keyswitch instruments during playback. As long as you load the correct KS combo patch on the same midi channel that you want to trigger it. Click on a note, add "pizz.", it changes instantly. And so on.

Hope I didn't make this sound too complicted. It's not really that hard.
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Turner
    Graham,

Sorry you're still having some problems. I don't have an answer about the bass drum sound you're hearing. Are you hearing this sound when only GPO standalone is open. (when Finale's closed) If you still hear it then, you probably have a setup problem.

As far as the keyswitch file. (It's not really a plug-in, it's a text library file) If you're having problems with that file, go back to the GPO/Finale webpage. Just beneath the keyswitch file is another option, a keyswitch library. The library is a text document, not a finale library file. So do this.

Right click on the link, save to disk. Open Finale and the file you want to put the library in. Under the file menu, choose load library. Only finale library files come up at first, change the selection box to show "all file types". Locate the keyswitch library file you downloaded and select it. Click OK.

This library add a group of text expressions to your current finale file. The new expression will automatically switch keyswitch instruments during playback. As long as you load the correct KS combo patch on the same midi channel that you want to trigger it. Click on a note, add "pizz.", it changes instantly. And so on.

Hope I didn't make this sound too complicted. It's not really that hard.
    Jeff
    Thanks Jeff,

I've just downloaded the keyswitch lib, and looked at it with Notepad and I can see it is full of KS stuff (and a lot of other gobledegook). I've tried adding these to my current file but when I open up the expression selection box, I'm not seeing them. I'm assuming they should appear in the same library alongside all the other expressions?

This is a tiny portion of what I'm seeing with Notepad:

VL downbowTX #  d 

Is this right or has the file got corrupted when I downloaded.

Grahamn,

check your private messages.

Jeff

I've downloaded the GPOKeySwitch.lib -- but it does not appear to add any expressions.

I load the GPOKeySwitch.lib. In the status bar, Finale says it is loaded.

But there are no added expressions.

I'm using Finale 2005.br1 on Windows XP.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

I confirm that loading the library does not add any expressions. [F2k5]

Hi Everybody,

I am brand new with this. Got GPO day before yesterday and am still trying to set it up in Finale for my very complicated opera score. I did manage to get the keyboard expression library. this is how it worked for me:

1. Opened the file (double clicked it). It opened as a blank finale file.
    2. confirmed that the expressions were in the library when I used the expression tool (they were)
    3. Saved the library (file...save library)
    4. Loaded the newly saved library into my working file. it added in the instruments.

Since I am on a mac maybe you all already know this, but I was so happy to figure out how to do it I thought I would let you know. Because first I tried to load the downloaded file as a library and i got error messages.

Anna Dembska

Whoops in my last post I meant the keyswitch expressions!

Go Back to forum