• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Which to get for my needs - VSL or EWQL

Share/Bookmark

Question Which to get for my needs - VSL or EWQL

I need to start saving for my next upgrade and need to figure out what I should get. Now my question is not just which sounds better but what will suit me best. I need a lib that can be both lush and lyrical or really harsh and mean depending on what I am using it for. For example, if either of these has a nice attack before the note begins, that is great because I can just modify the attack before the note to make it sound less harsh.

With EWQL Gold, which mic set do they give you (hoping for dry). I am already leaning towards EWQL because Nick seems to have everything that I need (Choirs, Stormdrum, RA) while VSL only has the orchestra, and I am hoping that the EW stuff meshes with each other very well without too much trouble on my end. And with the pro upgrades they seem VERY appealing.

One thing I have heard is that VSL doesn't have a second violins patch and that could be the problem, as well as the whole Oboe thing. If I spend a ton of money on a lib I don't want to have to spend another $200 just to get the playing style that is more common in the first place.

I am looking for more of the "Hollywood" sound (if you know what I mean), so whichever is more geared towards that is great. I am not big on using a ton of different libs which is why I am asking, otherwise I would just get both. I just need one that is flexible in terms of the style of film it will be used on (anything from horror to drama to whatever). If either one of these is more geared towards classical let me know because that is not what I am looking for at all. Thanks,

James W.G. Smith

Re: Which to get for my needs - VSL or EWQL

Tough question there. Both these libraries are very good, lets face it these two are basically IT when it comes to choices for full orchestra in a single set - its either or.
    I myself am a VSL fan - I think the work they have done just exceeds everything else out there.
    You can get any type of sound you want out of VSL really, big Hollywood, pure classical - its all up to you using it correctly.
    In terms of basic sound, their strings are truly unrivalled. The woodwinds too. The oboe IS different from what one might be accustomed to, but I wouldn't say its a problem - an advantage that many don't think of to getting the second 'french' oboe is that you can get very nice doubled lines.
    Many say the brass isn't Hollywood enough, but again I just say you need to push it in the right way and you will get the sound you need.

I know you stated quite clearely that you don't want to bother with mixing multiple libs, but the SAM Project brass (and now their orchestral percussion) is something really special.
    My personal dream setup, that I hope to get together as soon as possible, is the complete VSL and SAM libs combined. And also the new E/W Symphonic Choir if it turns out to be as amazing as we are all hoping it will be.
    That is my view. Run all this through Gigapulse, and you will be unstoppable!

Banned

EWQLSO is great (lots to read elsewhere on this board). You get the Far mic position, which is in between Close and Surround. Great ambience, not over the top from the back of the hall.

- Stefan

In my ever so humble opinion, if you want that hollywood sound you'll need to go with EWQLSO gold or platinum.

Gold is not dry at all. It's got about 2 sec of hall ambiance. If you got a good reverb machine you can send a small amount of the signal to a plate style reverb with about a five second tail and viola, instant hollywood. This also makes it easier to blend with other libraries as the reverb can color the ambiance. Though I like the hall sound myself over any artificial reverb. If you want more control over the wet to dry ratio you'll have to go with the Platinum.

I've been the harshest critic of VSL in the past. Not so anymore, but I do believe that the VSL library is not very "Hollywoodie". Though you can get a big sound out of it, but you need one hell of a kick ~~~ studio with no less than a Lexicon 480 reverb to pull it off. But I don't want to be too much of a critic of this library because it is pretty good in a lot of ways.

Also, Sonic Implants has got their library out. They used the BSO. The Boston symphony is like a fine wine--bold, lyrical and sweet all at the same time. Can't wait to hear the demos of this one. This could be the middle ground between the to extremes--QLSO and VSL. If so, boy oh boy!!

But, if it's Hollywood you want. It's gold or platinum for you. A little bird told me that the orchestra they used to do this library also does a lot of movie scores. How many scores are they doing in Vienna these days? -0. Nick and doug of East/West knew their market.

I'd put my money into QLSO. Then I'd look into Sonic Implants.

Jose
    ewqlso gold lover

Mix n match - I genuinely believe that's the way. Look at the strengths of all the libraries out there and give them a good workout at a shop before you commit. SI strings are superb, EWQLSO percussion sounds rich, any SAM library will see you proud, VSL woodwind is just un-matched in terms of expressive performance - so many choices out there, each with their own sound and potential.

Someone played me a demo by a former NS member, Simon Ravn, a short while back and the legato strings were stunning - the best I've heard. Apparently they were stitched together from all sorts of libraries, including a custom one. No one library can offer you that selection (not to mention substitute all that effort to achieve) on a plate.

Thanks guys.

As I said, I am not looking for a stop all lib, just one that fits me. I have been stiching together different libs for ages, and am just not happy with it. I have wasted so much time doing that when I could have been working on my composing instead. I am not concerned entirely whether or not it sounds perfect, but rather gets the idea across. If a director or producer that I am working with wants it to sound absolutly real, they can chuck up the $ for a real orchestra. I just think I am wasting way too much time trying to get everything to sound real when I should be focused on the score itself.

The only problem I have with EWQLSO is the lack of demos (compared). VSL sounds good, but the brass sounded pretty weak, and about 75% of the time when I want my brass to be really powerful. So with the mic set in Gold, how far back are we talking? I like stuff to be fairly close... think Elfman's 'The Hulk' or Newton Howard's 'Signs'. How does it sound without the release tails (I found that on some libs that really makes it sound closer)? Oh, and as for the effects, does VSL have any, as in scary violin stuff and such?

Anyhow, thanks again,

James W.G. Smith

As for SI, I just think it costs too much. For example:
    EWQLSO Gold Pro + Choirs + RA + Stormdrum = $4,500
    SISS + Brass + Winds + Percussion = Approx. $3,500 (Unless they discount the package). And it doesn't have any form of "legato" mode.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by James W.G. Smith
    So with the mic set in Gold, how far back are we talking?
    This is the visual that comes in the manual. It doesn't answer anything about the sound, but it might give you an idea of what to expect. I guess you could say "Conductor's Perspective" or something like that. But it's "Conductor's Perspective While Conducting In A Big Ol' Hall" and not "Conductor's Perspective While Conducting In A Studio That Just Barely Holds The Orchestra."

Another thing you could do is check out the percussion demo from EWQLSO Platinum. You can hear the close, far, and surround mics on that quite easily (78MB download, btw):

http://www.soundsonline.com/demos/EWQLSO_Percussion.zip

- Stefan

I need a lib that can be both lush and lyrical or really harsh and mean depending on what I am using it for.
    GPO Advanced.
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

I need to start saving for my next upgrade and need to figure out what I should get.
    You need to listen to these new Kirk Hunter demos. Brass should be out in two -three weeks followed by woodwinds. Buy the whole library with about 160GB for $995. You have to spend over $6000 to get all this in other libraries. At least give a listen before you spend your hard earned cash. I'm confident you'll be happily surprised.
    Peter L. Alexander
    www.professionalorchestration.com
    www.alexanderpublishing.com
    Learn it right the first time.

James W.G.: So I also think that best way will be GOLD. You said you want somethning more Hollywood like and you will not be dissapointed.
    VSL OPUS is also great but brass is really week so you surelly will need SAM or other brass lip to add.
    SI will be expencive I thik and yes - not any legato support.
    Quote Originally Posted by Houston Haynes
    GPO Advanced.
    ............never mind.

Go Back to forum