• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO and GS3 in Sonar 4?

Share/Bookmark

Question GPO and GS3 in Sonar 4?

Could GPO be used with GS3 in Sonar 4 on the same computer? I am thinking of buying GPO because I'm intrigued by the controller functions. But I have GS3 and some favorite samples I use. I'd like to be able to compose in GPO and add some tracks from GS3. Is this possible?

I have an Athlon 64 3000+, 2GB of RAM, 200 GB audio drive.

Re: GPO and GS3 in Sonar 4?

I've mixed the two. It can be done, but it's best on separate computers.

The key is to load as much as you will need in GS3, then load the GPO samples that you want. After than, GS3 believes that it is starved for memory, and doesn't want to load any more instruments.

I ended up printing stuff to audio, rebooting, and then going to the alternative sampler. Then I print that and go back.

Two machines would have been much more efficient. That way you can mix and match at will. With them both on one machine you will find yourself working everything in one context or the other, then going to the alternative context just for that one instrument that wasn't so good in the first. A case in point: the harps and celesta in GPO are much better than anything I have in Giga, so I just gotta have GPO for those. But I've got lots of good Giga samples, and realliy like GigaPulse, so that's my primary.

I've been meaning to get fx-max's VST over Ethernet software. Then I can steal some cycles from my kids' best computer to host GPO. (Bwa, ha, ha!)

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by aspenleaf
    Could GPO be used with GS3 in Sonar 4 on the same computer? I am thinking of buying GPO because I'm intrigued by the controller functions. But I have GS3 and some favorite samples I use. I'd like to be able to compose in GPO and add some tracks from GS3. Is this possible?

I have an Athlon 64 3000+, 2GB of RAM, 200 GB audio drive.
    I'd bounce the tracks to audio first.

How do you like the Athlon 64 so far?

Thumbs up Re: GPO and GS3 in Sonar 4?

I like it a lot. It's considerably faster than my Athlon XP 2600 and runs about 10C cooler. The prices have come down enough that the upgrade was a real bargain.

I prefer to run GS3 on it's own machine. It doesn't always play friendly with other apps.

I've run GS3 (Loading Old Lady and GOS Lite patches) GPO, and Gold all at the same time in Sonar 4 without having to bounce or freeze anything on my P4 2.8 ghz, 2 gig RAM machine. So I think you should be able to use both GPO and GS3 at the same time if you have GS3 running well on your computer.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tgfoo
    I've run GS3 (Loading Old Lady and GOS Lite patches) GPO, and Gold all at the same time in Sonar 4 without having to bounce or freeze anything on my P4 2.8 ghz, 2 gig RAM machine. So I think you should be able to use both GPO and GS3 at the same time if you have GS3 running well on your computer.
    Are you using GS3 in rewire or as a vst?

As a vst, I've found that I get better performance when using it as a vst. Plus I can control more than 16 instruments...
    Tim

Go Back to forum