• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: WTF is with my drivers ?

Share/Bookmark

WTF is with my drivers ?

I'm really getting disgusted with PC ....I'm a Mac guy, and I have NEVER In my life had this many problems with my computers over the years....This PC thing with drivers and all the other F'n issues with PC is driving me NUT's !!....

I had a PC built for Giga3 ....I have a Gina3G card in it ....At one time it worked OK after dealing with so much crap....Now I'm back to square one again....

If I take out my Gina card, and install the F'n drivers, start the computer, and then shut it down again, and install the card, reboot, and then open Giga3 I'm OK ....As soon as I shut my computer down , and then come back to it to restart it , When I open Giga3 again, to get some more work done, it no longer works....My midi is gone....EVERY TIME I want to start this machine to get ANYTHING done, I have to take the card out, install in the drivers, and restart the machine, shut it down, put the card in , and reboot !!....This really sucks...... Where the F are my drivers going when I shut this thing down ?...
    I have installed, and uninstalled this card, and drivers, and also Giga3 so many F'n times, I'm gonna wear things out on this computer....What's going on with this thing ??....Why do the drivers take a walk everytime I shut the computer down ?.... It would NEVER work any which way when I had Tracktion software in the machine...I took Tracktion out , and reinstalled EVERYTHING , and then it worked for a while....Thinking that switching from the WDM drivers to Purewave drivers was the problem, I tried to re install Tracktion .....Tracktion started working right away.....I shut down Tracktion and went to Giga3 to get some work done, and that was it .....No more F'n GIGA!!...And that's where I am now....I UNINSTALLED TRACTION FOR THE LAST TIME ....
    Now I'm left trying to get this machine running again with ONLY GIGA3 ....Is there some kind of sequence or homage that I have to pay to Bill Gate's or something for this computer to run like it should ?....Please help ...Thanks, Jim

Re: WTF is with my drivers ?

I'm a mac guy too and I've had problems with PC audio as well. Sooner or later it all works out it just takes a little getting use to the PC.

Sometimes when you uninstall a program on the PC not everything gets uninstalled. Check the Tascam website for instructions on how to uninstall Giga completely then reinstall the software. Also check your other software to make sure all the .dll are gone from the registry. And that all the .exe are also gone.

Sometimes another prg. may claim the audio or your onboard audio card may be taking precident over your gina. Try disabling any other audio capabilities that may be built into your motherboard. This can be done by going into your control panels and double click on sounds and audio devices icon and setting gina as the default device. Then set your midi card as the default midi device.

It's not easy to make the change but it can be done and when you get use to the PC You'll see that both platforms have their strengths and their weeknesses.

Ease of use is unfortunately not a PC strength.

jose,
    I have already learned what your reply said .... I'm picking up a lot of info from Windows users, and have been corresponding with other forum members, who have helped me TREMENDOUSLY !!...I'm learning my way around Window's , and realizing how screwy it really is ...Screwy like , UNINSTALL is really PARTIAL UNINSTALL .... Driver conflicts out the kazoo !!.....Then you have to go online to register everything and PC's are notorious for viruses ...
    But you go online to register anyway, and then you are bombarded by pop up's from everybody under the Sun !!.... My computer is loaded with bare bones programming....Enough to get the computer running, and Acrobat so I can read my manuals that come with my hardware...It should NOT be doing what it does.... I can not believe all the hoop's that PC users have to jump through to get a good running system ... It's really is sad....It's even more sad, because I'm one of them now !!... ....

I am going to go through the COMPLETE re- installation of Giga again, and then also the intallation of the Gina3G card AGAIN FOR THE THIRD TIME , and then NOT and NEVER load Tracktion into my computer ... HOPEFULLY I can get it to run good again wth Giga3 ... I'm also going to get either an RME or an M-Audio sound card.... A lot of folks are having good luck with their products, so that's where I'm headed ....Gotta go ....Thanks for your reply
    Sincerely, Jim

I'm not sure why your drivers are disappearing. This is usually caused by another driver that is not compatible. These are usually drivers that have not passed Microsoft certification. If drivers are programmed properly following Microsoft's guidelines, this doesn't happen. I support over 500 PC's using Windows XP on various platforms and never have driver issues.

I'm using an older Echo soundcard without any issues with Giga 3. It sounds like your using a laptop though with a removable card which appears to cause more issues.

GigaStudio 3.0 bypasses many of Windows safeguards for better performance. Since your running Giga on it's own machine you shouldn't have that many issues.

There is a pop-up blocker in Internet Explorer in Service Pack 2. This will stop the majority of pop-ups. Also, SP2 has a firewall to cut down on the amount of virus attacks. I would also recommend having a hardware router between the internet and your computer. The routers allow you to shutdown most ports and also do not show your IP address to the world.

Then you might have to do what I did.

Wipe the harddrive; do a clean install of the OS. Then instal GS3 first. Then your sound card-- make sure that works fine over a couple of reboots. I waited a couple of days just to make sure. Then I started installing other programs on my PC.

I now have GS3, EWQLSO Gold, Reason, Live and many other CD ripping, programs running on the same computer without any problems. I also got virus protection and Spybot for spyware as the computer is connected to the internet.

I figured if I installed everything one at a time over several days, when if something did conflict then I would know what program caused it.

I love mac because for some reason I'm more musical and comfortable on them. But I started to love my PC, because it's the whore that can run anything. I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that I brought in everything one at a time and made sure that it worked before I added anything else.

Also, GS3 is a tempermental program. For me it has to the first program I open after a restart or it fusses. So I always restart when I need to use that program.

I think in order to make the switch to using PC's you have to take into account the different purposes of both platforms. Mac is an exclusive machine that was meant to be used for a specific purpose beit music or graphics or animation. PC is very open ended and made to be used for everything. Problem is with so many different manufactures and programmers for PC there's bound to be some compatability issues.

Jose

Haydn,
    I'm not using a laptop.....When installing the drivers that came with the Gina3G, it was noted in the installation, that the drivers were NOT supported by Microsoft...Many have told me that the majority of drivers that are not supported will STILL run fine ...You then have a choice of whether to install the 3G drivers or not to install the drivers....If you don't, you don't use your Gina3G ....If you do, I guess that may very well be what is happening to me....If I could get just one person who has a motherboard like mine, who is running a Gina3G and a Giga3 perhaps I could figure out what settings they are using ( if they would contact me on my dime ) and could get running again .. Look at the Giga forum....I have been trying to contact EVERYONE who has a setup like mine to see what they are doing that I didn't do.... There are MAYBE 2 people since I posted that have a machine like mine, and Gina3G, and Giga3 ....I have PM'd them as they say that they have good running machines... I can't do more than I'm doing ... Thanks for your reply, and thanks for your tip's on the router etc.....Jim

jose,
    I'm very much contemplating your suggestion ( clean install ) and just starting over ....I sure hope that if I do this procedure that it will wipe EVERYTHING that I need to wipe off this computer, and not leave anything behind .... I understand what you're saying too about the open end of the PC as opposed to the Mac... I guess I'm just spoiled to have been running so smoothly over the year's....I guess it's time to pay the dues so to speak....
    I waited a couple of years for Giga to go Mac , but it never did...This is the ONLY reason I went to PC was for Giga3... I'll keep plugging along !!... Thanks for your reply.... Your answers are always beneficial to me...Jim

Quote Originally Posted by synthnut
    jose,
    I'm very much contemplating your suggestion ( clean install ) and just starting over ....I sure hope that if I do this procedure that it will wipe EVERYTHING that I need to wipe off this computer, and not leave anything behind .... I understand what you're saying too about the open end of the PC as opposed to the Mac... I guess I'm just spoiled to have been running so smoothly over the year's....I guess it's time to pay the dues so to speak....
    I waited a couple of years for Giga to go Mac , but it never did...This is the ONLY reason I went to PC was for Giga3... I'll keep plugging along !!... Thanks for your reply.... Your answers are always beneficial to me...Jim
    Yeah, its a pain in the behind, but reformatting the hard drive will wipe everything off the hard drive even on a PC. I've done it twice due to some viral difficulty I had early on. It always worked. Though make sure that you go to the microsoft website to learn how to do it. It's not as cut and dry as doing it on the mac. And, if you don't have a version of XP that can be installed on a new computer I wouldn't attempt it with out doing a lot of research.

Jose

Jim,

A few thoughts.

PROBLEMS
    ----------
    1. You can't get GS3 and Tracktion to work with your Gina 3 card at the same time.

This is strange, given that:
    - others are having no problems with Gina 3 and GS3
    - the Tracktion you are using is part of the Echo Audio Gina 3 bundle. Given Echo wrote new GS3 drivers AND include Tracktion with Gina 3, one would assume THEY can get these to work on their computers

2. You can install Gina 3 GSIF-2 drivers and get GS3 to work if you pull out the Gina 3 PCI card and install the drivers, but everything stops working if you power off your computer, then power up again.

3. You had this system custom built and "pre-configured" for audio, and you don't really have many programs yet installed.

4. It is a brand new system and since you haven't been Internet surfing with it, one can rule out virus/spyware problems.

POSSIBLE REASONS
    -------------------
    1. Bad Gina 3 audio drivers
    2. Bad/Incompatible computer hardware
    3. Computer configured in some way that causes a conflict

SUGGESTIONS
    -------------
    1. Try Echo for suggestions (again).
    - There must be some way of documenting your problem (or capturing error information) so they can assist you. Given your "it works until I reboot" problem, they should be able to research and tell you what the possible causes could be

2. Try another Audio interface
    - This of course bites, since you have to buy another interface. If you can get GS3 and other programs to work on this computer, then you probably could conclude the problem is with Gina 3 drivers.

3. Talk with the person who built your system, and see if you can "re-install" the Operating System WITHOUT any of the special OS tweaks or BIOS modifications. The idea would be to set up a more "normal", generic computer system and see if things run OK. If SO, then you could conclude the problem was due to some system setting.

The important point is you shouldn't be having so many problems. Since Windows PCs have over a 90% market share, they really are generic devices which work fine for nearly all people (ignoring any impact from viruses, Web surfing, etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by synthnut
    I'm really getting disgusted with PC ....I'm a Mac guy, and I have NEVER In my life had this many problems with my computers over the years....This PC thing with drivers and all the other F'n issues with PC is driving me NUT's !!....
    Well, you are probably mistaking Windows with Gigastudio 3. Even that some users in this forum will not agree with me, Gigastudio doesn´t work. Even the more experienced people I know are getting serious problems with it, so don´t be surprised that your system doesn´t work, and before you get more angry with Bill Gates try these simple steps:

1 - Give your system a clean install. Install windows again, then your sound card drivers. A clean install is seriously needed, because once GS3 f*cks up your system, there is no recover.

2 - Install a simple audio editing software like Sound Forge, Wave Lab, Samplitude, etc. Then try simple operations and see if your sound card is working properly. If you can play back with other aplications as well, there is nothing wrong with your soundcard or your system.

3- If everything works now, you should NOT install GS3 again unless you want your system to stop working again.

And some reminders from an ex-macintosh user:

1 - Macs also have drivers for every component installed, although not always they are visible to the user. Updated drivers always improve the comunication between your hardware and your OS, so always keep an eye open for updates in the manufacturer website

2 - Uninstall is only a clean install if you are using a clean software! Many programs leave behind traces in the windows register that can cause problems, and that only happens because of lazy programmers that didn´t take the proper time to work in a decent uninstall procedure.

3 - Both in PC and Mac world you will find two kinds of developers: The good ones and the bad ones. The good ones know how to take advantage of your system to make you satisfied, and the bad ones don´t really care at all. In PC world you will find tons of software AND hardware that will never ask you to reboot or deal with low level OS issues, basically because they were well designed. So, be careful with your choices and you will have no headaches at all.

4 - There is a large number of reasons that can take a Macintosh user to PC, but Gigastudio 3 is not one of them!!!

Good Luck!

Go Back to forum