• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Knotakt operating on Dual Xenon processors

Share/Bookmark

Knotakt operating on Dual Xenon processors

Hi,

I've purchased two Carillon audio PCs one with a standard P4 setup and one ultra fast dual Xenon processor - both have 2.5gig ram and same exact hard drives, monitors etc - both have Kontakt in its default directory- all well and good . BUt on powering up and opening kontakt as a stand alone, the basic machine does it in 4-5secs the high powered Dual xenon system takes 45secs !!! - Carillon sugested that this could be because of Kontakt doesn't work so well with the Xenon chips ?

It also takes Kontakt at least twise as long to boot multi's on the Xenon machine - Is there a problem with these Xenon chips or am I being conned by Carillon and have a bugged machine ?

Thanks in advance

Beer

Re: Knotakt operating on Dual Xenon processors

It opens standalone in 3 seconds on my dual Xeon machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    It opens standalone in 3 seconds on my dual Xeon machine.
    Just curious what the specs and componants of yur machine are Bill, and If there are any drawbacks (with VSTi`s, Sequencers etc..) I`m thinking of building a dual Xeon myself.. Best, Rich

Hi Rich,

I have a Super Micro X5DAE board with a pair of 2.4 CPUs. 2 GB of RAM in 4 512MB sticks. A 120GB WD IDE system drive and 2 WD SATA drives in RAID0.

Be sure to plan for everything you’ll need, especially if you’re thinking to use parts for other systems. Many boards are full size (12x13) and require a full size case. You’ll also need a special power supply, with an aux power connector with 6 or 8 pins.

Also, many boards have more 64bit PCI-X slots then they do standard PCI slots. Make sure any PCI cards are configured to work in those slots (they have the notch to the rear of the computer) if you plan to use them there

The biggest issue, though, is noise. These boards are designed to go in servers where maximum air flow is important, and being quiet isn’t a consideration. When I built my system a couple of years ago, there wasn’t much available from any of the companies that supply silent fans and power supplied, so I sort of cobbled things together. Hopefully there’s more on the market now.

Good luck!

Im running a dual xeon here, kontakt on it, and its running like a dream.

2 x 3 ghz Xeons/800 fsb
    Antec 1000 amg case
    Antec 550w true power supply
    Asus NCCH-DL mobo
    2 gb Corsair DDR400 matched ram
    1 X 40g Seagate IDE system drive.
    1 x 200g Seagate IDE system drive.
    Matrox P650 video card.

The CPUs barely hit 20% in Cubase
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com

Thumbs up Re: Knotakt operating on Dual Xenon processors

Wow , Thanks for the real-world info guys! Those sound like killer systems. My 2 P4 2.4 Comps still rock and i (knocks on large tree) havent had any showstoppers in the 2 years that Ive had them built, but I`m due this summer for and overhaul and a new system..Scott, looks like youve got a dream system going there. When you say 20% CPU in SX, do you mean fully loaded project with plugs and all? And since fan noise is a factor for me, How silent is your Zeon Scott? I`m running Giga3 and kontakt and SX3 and Samplitude 8. And Samp. is a bit of a CPU hog compared to SX and thats why I`m thinking of moving up to a dual system.
    Scott , Q: that maybe you can help me with...I`m using the Matrox 650 (with the 3 monitor adapter) too but SX and Samp arent recognizing it as a Video output in the Device manager so i cant send QT.mov or anything out to my external T.V. monitor (using the S-video out on the matrox). Ive been so busing writing i havent had time to fiddle with it. Any ideas? I think its something with the matrox..how did you configure it..? Best, Rich

Hey Rich, the 20% usage so far has been on a very big orchestral theme spread across 3 computers. It did include two convolution reverbs though.

I havent had a chance yet to load up a different style track - say dance or something, with lots of filter sweeps and stuff going on. In other words, I havent really had an opportunity to really stress test the system. Power wasnt my only reason for going Xeon though, these systems are used for mission critical applications and are extremely reliable. Ive spoken to some guys using Xeons in recording studios for a couple of years and they have not had a single incident with their machine.

Noise is a factor, once the machine warms up the fans get to over 6,000 rpms. Im looking at some coolermaster fanless heatsinks at the moment for a quiet cooling solution.

In regard to the video problem Rich, Im currently working on a computer game and havent had the need or the time to setup this rig for proper video out. I will need it eventually, but for now, I cant offer any solutions Im sorry.

HTH,

Scott.
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com

Wow ..20% with 2 convolutions eh.. i throw 1 IR-1 on and Im up to 25% on my 2.4. It wll be interesting to see what Kontakt 2 does to our CPU`s with the NI convolution. Giga pulse is a bit of a hog too and you cant really freeze it like a VSTi. I`ll pick your brain later about you fan solution when i get into pricing Zeons out..Mind me asking what you paid for yours now? BTW ,congrats on the game gig. Speaking of CGI ,I`m actually doing the music for all of Alias`s product reels right now (maya, motionbuilder etc...). I love making music like this.. Rich

Hi Rich, bear in mind Im based in Australia, so the prices may differ. I ended up paying around $2300 U.S for my system.

A couple of ways I saved money,

- the NCCH-DL mobo doesnt require registered or ECC ram
    - I went standard IDE for the hard drives, I dont need raid and SATA still isnt up to par in my books.
    - the case I got is sold specifically without a power supply so I didnt double up there.
    - I grabbed some parts from other systems (video card and cd burner)
    - I didnt go for the fastest chips, the Xeons get REAL expensive above 3ghz right now.

I can always upgrade the chips later, apparently the motherboard will support up to 4.4ghz or something, soIm good for at least a little while.

Oh, and the 20% usage wasnt idle - thats an entire orchestral piece playing WITH the two conv reverbs.
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com

Hey Scott, $2300 isn`t bad for a high end system like that. Dual 4.4ghz seems insane. Your chips would be as hot as the core of the sun
    But if your only at 20% for full orch. stuff.. QLSO Platinum?
    I`m expecting to spend about 4000$ CND anyways so I`ll look into a system like yours in the spring..thanks for your words..Rich

Go Back to forum