• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: uh . . . oops

Share/Bookmark

uh . . . oops

I was closing Overture and it asked if I wanted to save the changes, and I accidentally hit "no" . . . well, there goes today's work

Although, it is kind of funny . . .
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Re: uh . . . oops

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin
    I was closing Overture and it asked if I wanted to save the changes, and I accidentally hit "no" . . . well, there goes today's work

Although, it is kind of funny . . .
    Happens to everyone at some point- turn that autosave on!! That way you only lose ten minutes work (or whatever you have it set for...)

I am a compulsive 'saver'. I save every few seconds, sometimes even if I haven't made any changes to the score. (no joke!)

After all, you never know when the computer will crash for no apparent reason!

Me too, with SONAR- I save after ever note almost It's cool these days because with older versions of Cakewalk saving wiped out the undo history. Well, heck, back then there was only one level of undo anyway...

I got burned myself today, in fact. I record with a Roland VS-2480, and it hardly ever does anything bad. But today I recoreded a bass track, and right while we were listening back to the final track the machine locked up complately and we had to restart it. Second time it's happened in 4 years. The bass player said, "well, you saved it, didn't you??" Uh.... noooooo... I was so into working on the track I never saved it. Had to start over from the top.

That's why I say, if autosave is supported on whatever you're using- turn it on!!

I also compulsivley save. If i minimize my seqencer for a few seconds and am about to open another project i save again even if i saved twice in the last minute, but thats a good thing since my computer randomly crashes and gives me the horrid blue screen

Quote Originally Posted by Kanjika
    my computer randomly crashes and gives me the horrid blue screen
    Sounds like you may have some software that uses PACE copy protection. Or possibly a bad CPU fan.
    -- Jeff Lee
    Etiam singula minima maximi momenti est - Even the smallest detail is of the utmost importance

Quote Originally Posted by Kanjika
    .... and gives me the horrid blue screen
    What's on this blue screen? Does the machine reboot spontaneously or just freeze?

Stevemitchell

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMitchell
    What's on this blue screen? Does the machine reboot spontaneously or just freeze?

Stevemitchell
    Actually, WinXP can now be set to do either on a critical stop (aka "the blue screen of death"). I just let mine spotaneously reboot- it saves a step.

Quote Originally Posted by FredProgGH
    Actually, WinXP can now be set to do either on a critical stop (aka "the blue screen of death"). I just let mine spotaneously reboot- it saves a step.
    Well, there's actually a third, if not more. If the BIOS detects a NMI or Non-maskable Interrupt, the OS simply drops out to a blue screen @ 80x25 text and passes whatever control to the BIOS. Most of the time, this means a multi-bit parity error in RAM. You'll only see this when there is no OS component in control and it'll say something about a "hardware error". This is what I was thinking Kanjika was seeing.

On a regular blue-screen, you'll see a portion of the kernel still in control writing the memory dump if you've so chosen.

Stevemitchell

Oh yes. The blue screen of death. I've seen it many times. It seems to happen to me when I draw too much from the CPU. I know that when the peak usage is over 100% that I only have a few seconds to stop and save or else...

Go Back to forum