• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Win XP serious Giga errors

Share/Bookmark

Win XP serious Giga errors

When my PC starts up, every now and then it hangs. I have to force a reboot, and when it starts successfuly next time, I get a message:

"Your system has recovered from a serious error
    Would you like to disable all drivers associated with the Giga technology?"

I have been getting this for the last two years with ALL versions of Giga, from 160 through to the latest GS3.

I see a few others have posted about this problem. I really want to nail this once and for all. Could anyone else who has had the problem please add to this thread, so we can gather as much info as possible?

My system is:

- WinXP home SP2
    - ASUS P4P800S
    - Intel P4 2.6 GH
    - 1Gig RAM
    - Various HDs/CDs etc (changed over time, but hasn't affected problem)
    - NVidia GeForce 4 (ditto)
    - Cubase SL3 (Ditto)
    - Yamaha 01x (had various soundcards in PC, but problem still occurs)

One poster suggested that the timimg of loading msgsvr32.dll might be creating the problem. If this is the case, a bit of tweaking the service startup might fix it?

- thanks in advance.

Re: Win XP serious Giga errors

I get this occassionally and have just learned to live with it. XP tells me it is caused by a device driver, but that's about all it tells me.

I had an Asus PB4 with P4 1.8 MB, 1 gig PC133, Win XP and GS2.54 and had the problem occassionally. Now I have an ASUS P4G800-E with a 3.0 intel and 1 gig DDR-400 Ram running G3 and latest patch. I seem to get it more frequently now that I've upgraded

Also:

Nvida Vanta 16mb video
    3 Hard Drives

This machine is seperate from my DAW computer which runs Cubase CX3.01 with similar specs.

I have Windows XP and GigaStudio 160 (v 2.54)... yeah, I also get that pop-up window occasionally, during start-up.

I just click "no" and go on with my business as usual.

I don't know what would be causing it, but (like Sporter), I just kinda live with it..... Gary

Forgot to add: the problem doesn't seem to be affected by hyper-threading: it happens whether I enable hyper-threading or not.

Thanks for the responses already posted. Yeah, I have been living with it, but it is starting to annoy me. What with problems with mLan dropping out now and then, and my wireless network not always starting properly, I am losing valuable music making time just getting the PC started.

I AM NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANY MORE!!!!

(just kidding ....)

I used to have that problem regularly with GS2.5. Thankfully, it went away for me with GS3.

-JF

Not sure if this is your problem, but with gigastudio 2.5, you MUST wait until the windows xp "userinit" process is completed after starting the system and logging on as a user. You can watch it with task manager, takes about 45 seconds or so to complete (on my system). If you start gigastudio before it finishes, you get a crash. Gigastudio 3 seems to be better, just waits until userinit is finished, and does not crash.

In GS3, I would suggest turning off the QuickSound DB "Monitor file activity" function. My system would lock sometimes (even when GS3 was not loaded) and I had to be "careful" during Windows startup about waiting for all apps/drivers to load.

After I turned this off, my system hasn't locked anymore.

From what i can tell, when this function is enabled, there is a small chunk of GS code ALWAYS running in the background on your computer, regardless of whether GS is running (I assume it is part of the GS driver software). Since this function's job is to monitor ALL OS file activity (open, close), I think it interjects itself into the OS and can cause lockup.

Of course, the down side is that you need to re-build the QS database more frequently, since GS is "not aware" of file changes.

Quote Originally Posted by gugliel
    Not sure if this is your problem, but with gigastudio 2.5, you MUST wait until the windows xp "userinit" process is completed after starting the system and logging on as a user. You can watch it with task manager, takes about 45 seconds or so to complete (on my system). If you start gigastudio before it finishes, you get a crash. Gigastudio 3 seems to be better, just waits until userinit is finished, and does not crash.
    No, this is not the problem. The system hangs when it is started, then gives me the error message after I force reboot. I don't even get to the stage of trying to open Gigastudio. Bear in mind that GS seems to start its drivers at WinXP startup, so the drivers are always there even if you don't start the application itself.

Thanks for posting this though!

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Hines
    In GS3, I would suggest turning off the QuickSound DB "Monitor file activity" function.
    Sounds promising. I'll give this a try and report back.

I got the same problem immediately before my machine died. It ran for months without a problem, then suddenly went into a spiral of crashing and rebooting, showing the message about Gigatechnology drivers every time it rebooted. Eventually the cycle stopped and I managed to run some diagnostics, to find that my RAM was blown. Whether this had caused all the crashing or was blown as a result of it I don't know.

Go Back to forum