• Register
  • Help

Topic: Dropout out the wazoo

Share/Bookmark

Dropout out the wazoo

I\'m getting some serious dropout problems in Sonar. I\'m not quite sure why. I\'ve got 17 MIDI tracks, and one audio track. The 17 MIDI tracks are pointed to, of course, 17 instruments in Giga. I get a lot of crackles/pops on recording, and frequent dropouts. Surely this can\'t be a processor overload? Is there anything I can do to remedy this?

Sonar help says it could be due to an excessively fragmented hard drive, or incorrect latency settings. I just did a check for fragmentation.. I definitely need to defrag. But I figure, might as well check out my latency settings and report those, because I have no clue what they should be set to.

Latency for my Delta Audiophile 2496: 512 samples
    Latency for Sonar: Buffers in playback queue=2, Buffer size=96msec

Machine stats:
    Athlon 900MHz
    512MB RAM
    WinXP Pro

Re: Dropout out the wazoo

Originally posted by MDesigner:
    I\'m getting some serious dropout problems in Sonar. I\'m not quite sure why. I\'ve got 17 MIDI tracks, and one audio track. The 17 MIDI tracks are pointed to, of course, 17 instruments in Giga.
    Machine stats:
    Athlon 900MHz
    512MB RAM
    WinXP Pro
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">You do not mention if your have a 2 hdu system or not (it is better to stream from the second HDU (D). Also at 900MHZ with 512 ram on memory hungry XP, well, I would say no wonder. I used to have these problems, all of which went away with more memory, 2 HDUs and a faster system. You have reached the wall.

Try raising the Buffers in playback queue to 3. You\'ll then need to play around with the buffer size. Try lower at first and then gradually raise it. This takes quite a bit of messing around with to get it right.

Doyle: Just a single HD. I strangely have had zero issues until just recently. Maybe it\'s just time for a reformat to clean things up.

Haydn: I\'ll try that and see if it helps..thanks!

Go Back to forum