• Register
  • Help

Topic: I am going...

Share/Bookmark

I am going...

...to buy the GPO on this week. I will also buy a new soundcard to use with. Wich soundcard would you suggest, so that I can upload a large orchestra (around 30-35 tracks) without having problems? I thought an Emu 1820m or a M-Audio Firewire 410. Has anyone experience with these cards and GPO? Another question: do you think my 2.8 GHz Pentium IV processor and 1 GB Ram are enought for my pourpose? Thanks.

Re: I am going...

I not familiar with those sound cards so no recommendations there. For a full orchestration, 2 GB of memory is recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by Leonardo
    ...to buy the GPO on this week. I will also buy a new soundcard to use with. Wich soundcard would you suggest, so that I can upload a large orchestra (around 30-35 tracks) without having problems? I thought an Emu 1820m or a M-Audio Firewire 410. Has anyone experience with these cards and GPO? Another question: do you think my 2.8 GHz Pentium IV processor and 1 GB Ram are enought for my pourpose? Thanks.
    Your 2.8 machine is probably enough. It all depends on the polyphony of your material and the latency of your sound card. Other opinions may vary on this forum, but I'd recommend at least 1.5GB if you want to load a large orchestra and still have real memory available to run something else. Memory's still pretty cheap. But I'm with Haydn. I've got 2GB. I can load it up with memory to spare for other things.

I have an EMU 1820. The 1820M has the same top notch converters as are found in the ProTools HD 192 I/O interface, a fairly good recommendation in my opinion. But for about $100 less, the 1820 is excellent. You get 2 midi I/Os on the EMU, 1 on the M-Audio units. Otherwise I think the 410 or the EMU units are more or less comparable.

Many folks on this forum are very happy with the M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 at a much lower price than either EMU unit or the 410, but it has fewer I/Os.
    Bill

Thank you for your answers.

Quote Originally Posted by Leonardo
    Thank you for your answers.

The 410 is certainly worth considering IF

You don't need a card with mic pres or MIDI I/O
    and
    You are not bothered by the rather bulky breakout cable.

That said, I have 8 of the little buggers at home, 3 to a machine. M-Audios monolithic driver makes this no problem. It's essentially one big card to the computers and they will play just fine with other M-A products.

They are now a discontinued item, but readilly available, and again suported my the master Delta driver so the discontinuance is not a prob.

Newegg has them for $77.99, which come with Delta versions of Reason adapted and Ableton Live.

I don't know of another way to get that many outs that cheap at ANY quality, let alone the excellant sound these provide me.

As always YMMV.

Michael

Are we talking about the same M-Audio FireWire 410, MAS?

I got it about 15 months ago and I love the fact that it connects to the PC with ONE SINGLE wire, thereby leaving all those other wire connections (S/PDIF in/out, MIDI in/out, 2 audio in, 8 audio out) on a convenient little box that sits on my desk and is easily accessible for any changes. Here's the M-Audio product page: http://m-audio.com/products/en_us/FireWire410-main.html (I couldn't find it on NewEgg.com and there don't seem to be signs from M-Audio on their site that it's discontinued or replaced, so perhaps you were thinking of another box.)

And Leonard -- in general MORE RAM is always better. I ran into a situation where my first 2.66 gHz system was limited to 1 gig of RAM, so I found another system (3.2 gHz) that could go up to 2 gig of RAM. Soon we'll have 64-but Windows XP and will be able to do more than that (hopefully, depending on what you box will hold) so more is, in audio circles, MORE.

i hope this helps ... KevinKauai

About the RAM thing....
    (just my personal opinion)
    I think that a large amount of RAM is a waste. I could probably even function on 256 meg if I didn't use the Steinway piano. What I would do is cram as many instruments as I can into 256 meg and work with them and export the audio. Then I would cram another set of instruments and so on. In the end, I would take all of the audio tracks and mix them into one. That's what I do with my 1gb.
    Although if you want the Steinway grand, that's about a gig in itself.

So anyways, if I were you I wouldn't stress over the RAM thing. The processor sounds fine (I get by with the minimum of 1.8 ghz and it's great!) and I think you'll be fine.
    I know I'm not helping all that much in terms of a sound card, but this is what I have and it works great for me:
    Since I have a laptop with a crappy on-board card, I got a Creative Sound Blaster Extigy external card. It's cheap!!! That's the word for me. And my ear isn't all that well trained, so I wouldn't be able to hear the difference! And it's surround sound, but that won't have much to do with GPO, but it's great for movies!

Hope this helps!

Best reguards,

Chris

Well, I think you'll do fine with your current setup (excluding loading the piano). Your processor is meatier than mine so you should get the amount of instruments you're aiming for. Keep in mind that there's a lot of factors that come into play though.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinKauai
    Are we talking about the same M-Audio FireWire 410, MAS?
    NOT the Firewire 410. The original M-Audio Delta 410 PCI card. 2 Analog in, 8 Analog out, SPDIF I/O. No MIDI. No bells 'n' whistles.

And DEFINITELY not svelte in the cable girth dept. The usual rats nest breakout cable, unless you modify 'em. BUT...

at that price a danged cheap way to get multiple outs and low latency.

Also an affordable way to get GSIF and GSIF2 compatibility for those so inclined. Hey, this used to be a 250 buck card.

Worked out to be a perfect option for me, as this particular set of computers is an ongoing experiment. A project in development. I'm trying to make the transition from 30+ years of hardware based synthesis into the 'soft' world. Until I work out my ideals, I'm disinclined to pour a fortune into interfaces. I still prefer to mix at a console, but the console is analog. Eventually it may be digital (another decision to be made ) in which case a rack full of high end analog would be gathering dust with some other ill-timed aquisitions. Something might sound familiar about a tricked out Triton Studio that gets used as nothing but a controller (We won't discuss the TR Rack units that I haven't touched in months ) I'm trying not to do it again!

Michael

And yes it's there.

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...121-105&DEPA=0

so much for staying in bed and off the computers...oh pneu-mo-nia here I come dah dah dah...

Go Back to forum