• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Top GigaStudio pet peeves

Share/Bookmark

Top GigaStudio pet peeves

Warning: venting follows

So... here I am, just trying to get some work done, and GigaStudio decides to act stupid again. Just wondering if anyone else here has experienced any of my top pet peeves of GigaStudio 2.5:

1) Tuning bug. Load up a .gsp, and one or more instruments are tuned down or up a couple steps. What the...?!

2) Complete death. MIDI signals sent to Giga do nothing. Clicking on the virtual keyboard in Giga does absolutely nothing, doesn\'t even highlight the key to show that it was clicked.

3) Let\'s fill every empty channel with whatever\'s in port 2 channel 16. When I load up .gsps that have empty channels, Giga decides to put whatever\'s in port 2 channel 16, in EVERY single empty channel. Thanks! Now I have to detach those as I add new instruments.

4) Simply not assigning an instrument to a channel. Sometimes, in certain .gsps, it leaves some channels empty. The instrument is loaded, just not assigned. Why?

[img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Can\'t wait for Giga 3.0... because 2.5 is really getting on my last nerve.

Re: Top GigaStudio pet peeves

Currently GS is only working the first time I fire it up, if I want to run it again, I need to reboot. The second time I hook it up, inputs don\'t work. (I\'ve even end-tasked msg32.exe and restarted it.) Also, one time it reset the polyphony from 160 down to 64. Odd. My 3200XP with 1GB of RAM and 2 seperate Giga drives (each on their own channel) should (and does) handle 160 without a problem.

Also, with your dropout problem, check your settings, make sure GS is set to 160 voices. It might be doing something like mine did. Since GS has been behaving so well lately (on XP), I\'ve since done away with 98, GS was the last holdover, and it\'s running GREAT otherwise), the only thing I\'m looking for under GS 3.0 is for it to be called Gigastudio 320. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Originally posted by MDesigner:
    Warning: venting follows

So... here I am, just trying to get some work done, and GigaStudio decides to act stupid again. Just wondering if anyone else here has experienced any of my top pet peeves of GigaStudio 2.5:

1) Tuning bug. Load up a .gsp, and one or more instruments are tuned down or up a couple steps. What the...?!

2) Complete death. MIDI signals sent to Giga do nothing. Clicking on the virtual keyboard in Giga does absolutely nothing, doesn\'t even highlight the key to show that it was clicked.

3) Let\'s fill every empty channel with whatever\'s in port 2 channel 16. When I load up .gsps that have empty channels, Giga decides to put whatever\'s in port 2 channel 16, in EVERY single empty channel. Thanks! Now I have to detach those as I add new instruments.

4) Simply not assigning an instrument to a channel. Sometimes, in certain .gsps, it leaves some channels empty. The instrument is loaded, just not assigned. Why?

[img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Can\'t wait for Giga 3.0... because 2.5 is really getting on my last nerve.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Yup, I get those bugs too! Solidarity brother!

Im not thinking the midi death thing is a bug.
    When ever Ive had that problem it means that I opened up aplications in the wrong order.
    Try shutting it down,open gigastudio, then open sequencer threw gigastudio via sequencer tab.
    Make sure your midi is properly configed under settings,hardware routing in gigastudio and in you sequencer.

As far as the tuning problem , Ive had that problem when the sampling rate is not the same in all aplications.
    Make sure your soundcards driver utility, your sequencer and gigastudio all have the same bit rate and sample rate settings.
    Good luck.

Sam! You lucky bastard! You\'ve only got those four? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Seriously, from time to time I have the bugs on your list and several more, and it\'s very tempting to throw that friggin PC out of the window! I guess I\'ve not been successful in choosing components for my PC.

Bring us Giga 3.0 (with new and improved bugs!) [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Sam,

Same here.
    If I close Giga and try to run it again, it just hangs at the splash screen.

About half the time I try to apply an ART file in the editor, it crashes.

It\'s been a pretty shoddy program wrapped around a kernel of an idea for what, 6 years now?

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Funny, I run GigaStudio all day long every day, and I guess I am just very lucky. I rarely see a problem.

The \"tuning bug\" sounds a little weird to me. The only one I have seen is the GSP bug, but I have never seen it unless I try to load a GSP over already existing loaded GIG files.

Please report all your bugs to Tascam, with clear, exact reproduction formulas. With a new version so close to release, now is the time to make sure things don\'t slip through the cracks.

Lee, do you just lurk and wait for opportunities to discredit anything Giga? Sure seems so.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by mitchb2:

If I close Giga and try to run it again, it just hangs at the splash screen.

About half the time I try to apply an ART file in the editor, it crashes.

It\'s been a pretty shoddy program wrapped around a kernel of an idea for what, 6 years now?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hi Mitch,

You won\'t have luck closing and reopening Giga after a problem. That\'s the Kernel level programming...blessing/curse. A reboot is almost always necessary, just as if a driver failed (because Giga is essentially an application fooling Windows into thinking it\'s a driver).

Per the \"shoddy\" comment, though, I don\'t think you are giving Giga its due. I say that because you and I go back a ways, and I know you respect innovation. I have set my studio up around GigaStudio, and when you know the program\'s quirks and you design your practice to accommodate them (or avoid them), it makes a person money. That\'s my pet peeve about Giga, I guess. It sits there and makes me work, because when I do, money appears in the mailbox. Oh, that cursed little box!!

By the way, did you finish up your degree?

Originally posted by Bruce A. Richardson:
    </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Originally posted by mitchb2:

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hi Mitch,

Per the \"shoddy\" comment, though, I don\'t think you are giving Giga its due.
    </font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hey, Bruce.
    I think I have had so many problems with Giga over the years, it\'s hard not to let my frustration (and skepticism)come through. I need to start sleeping on certain posts.

I have switched from the Bachelor\'s program to the graduate program, so I\'m now pursuing a Master\'s in theory/comp. I\'m taking this upcoming semester off in anticipation of carpal tunnel surgery on both wrists.

And still terrified of composing for orchestral instruments. I think I need hypnosis or something.

**Caution: rant to follow

I have read this thread with great interest. I have experienced some of these problems, but not all. The problem I hate the most wasn\'t even mentioned and I am wondering if it happens to others, and if so, have you found a solution? I frequently have to wait several minutes for some gig files to open. I never know which one might hang up the machine either - it changes, seemingly at the whim of the computer muses. Opening large gsp files is always a nerve-wracking experience. Often I have to end gigastudio with yask manager.

Regarding the comments about giving Gigastudio its due and respecting its level of operation made me quite angry. For the money, I think this program is atrocious. Granted, it has the horrible disadvantage of having to function under a microsoft product, but still, it is a pretty shoddy piece of work. Imagine if your car worked as poorly - you never know if the accelerator is going to function at the moment you need it, when you try to turn left your windshield wipers go off instead, and it just stops dead and has to be re-started frequently! I think Gigastudio is on par with a Yugo!

I hold out little hope for 3.0 being better - probably just bigger and more bogged down with new features that will cause even more problems!!!!!

OK - end rant - I need to go lie down now :-)

Mike

Go Back to forum