• Register
  • Help

Topic: Piano Concerto No. 2, 2nd movement preview

Share/Bookmark

Piano Concerto No. 2, 2nd movement preview

Here's the second movement for my new piano concerto.

http://www.swanswingpress.com/MP3/Pi...20preview2.mp3 (8.68 MB - 9 and a half minutes long)

In case you missed it earlier, here's the first movement:
    http://www.swanswingpress.com/MP3/Pi...%20preview.mp3 (11.8 MB - 13 minutes)

The third movement will probably be up sometime next week. Meanwhile, enjoy these!
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Re: Piano Concerto No. 2, 2nd movement preview

Looking forward to hearing the preview of the third movement.

Are you going to be able to post a recording of the performance?
    Trent P. McDonald

Thumbs up Re: Piano Concerto No. 2, 2nd movement preview

Wow Dan, here is another reason I'm decomposing! What the heck has gotten into you bud? This is great!
    Just one small request, maybe back off on the ambience on the piano a bit. It sounds too much like a saturated chorus effect. I would like to hear it a bit more upfront and less shadowed by the effect.
    Otherwise, extremely well written and emotional!
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    ...<edit>...maybe back off on the ambience on the piano a bit. ...a bit more upfront and less shadowed by the effect.
    Otherwise, extremely well written and emotional!
    Yes indeed, very well written and emotional. Dan, I do agree with Styxx about the ambience for the piano. Sometimes the string section feels closer than does the piano. Also the piano's effect gives me the impression that the reflections are bouncing off hard walls. The orchestral instruments do not give (me) the impression that they are sharing the same space. (Albeit you are probably using the same ambience for both of them, eh?) Well, these are just my impressions from your mp3. It could be a simple matter of making the piano a little dryer...or if that doesn't work, choose a setting that would imply soft materials are distributed in the 'room' (curtains, etc).
    ~Rudy
    helmproductions.com
    =====================
    Rock-a-doodle-doooo!!

I just noticed that about the piano ambience, too. I don't remember that being a problem while I was working on it. If I have time today, I'll go back over it and try to fix it. Thanks for your comments.

Trent, I won't be able to post a recording of the performance. My understanding with the THSO is that I can use the recording for promotional purposes, but can't otherwise make it generally available. At least, not without negotiating a license to do so, and presumably handing over a truckload of cash.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

--Ray Luke (1928-2010)

OK, I figured it out. The problem amounted to "Improper use of a reverb plug-in." I took care of it and I'm uploading a fixed version now.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

--Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Dan,

I'm getting a page not found error message trying to access the 2nd movement.

Apologies. When I uploaded the new file, I forgot to update the link in my original post. So many things to remember! Here's the corrected link (I'll fix it in the original post as well).

http://www.swanswingpress.com/MP3/Pi...20preview2.mp3
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

--Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by danpowers
    Apologies. When I uploaded the new file, I forgot to update the link in my original post. So many things to remember! Here's the corrected link (I'll fix it in the original post as well).

http://www.swanswingpress.com/MP3/Pi...20preview2.mp3
    Man, I really do love this piece!!
    But I'm gonna pick on ya, Dan, for a minute, so please don't be mad at me. And that is, I think the piano ambience still has reflections that...well,...it just seems like its not sharing the same acoustic space as the orchestra. But hey, that' just my ears.

Anyway, I'd pay money to see this thing performed. Did I mention that I love this piece? If it ever gets performed out in my neck of the woods, I'll be there!
    ~Rudy
    helmproductions.com
    =====================
    Rock-a-doodle-doooo!!

Go Back to forum