• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Once again the Keyboard question.

Share/Bookmark

Question Once again the Keyboard question.

I almost picked up the M-Audio Keystation 88 Pro until I head from a music storeowner that Edirol / Roland has an updated keyboard from the PCR line. The PCR-M80, 50 and 30. There seems to be no one who has it yet unless any of you know different?
    I went up on www.Edirol.com and read about it. It's USB or midi, has assignable 12 velocity curves, rounded keys, built in midi interface and more. But price? Haven't been able to nail down a price yet. Just wandering.
    Styxx

Re: Once again the Keyboard question.

The PCR-M80 seems to be around $300 but won't be available until April.

http://69.90.101.217/productinfo.asp?id=1106692327

I just picked up an M-Audio Keystation 88ES for about $325 (in the UK - availble for $250 in the US) and am very happy with it (I was previouuly using an antique Roland EP10 which had no mod wheel). The only criticism I have is that the keys are slightly on the stiff side - but then I am used to a very well run-in keyboard.

The 88ES does not have aftertouch, but the volume slider can be programmed to any MIDI controller including Channel Pressure, so I am hoping that this will work OK with the Big Band add-on which I have heard utilises this controller.

Thanks Richard, I am wondering though in this ad it lists the unit as a hybrid. Any idea what is meant or am I just reading into it too much?
    Styxx

Hi Styxx. Thanks for all the humor. You seem to always come through on the days I need it.

I purchased the M-Audio 88 Pro last week. When I got home the keys felt like I was hitting a brick. I thought it was because I haven't played a weighted keyboard in a few years. I also found it was missing some notes on fast runs. They did not even show up in Sonar. I went back to Guitar Center today for another reason and tried the store model again. The action difference is day and night. The store is actually a little too light. Before you think I'm just picky I found this discussion.

http://www.harmony-central.com/Synth...88-Pro-01.html

It seems there is a huge difference in opinion on the action. I'm bringing mine back tomorrow to exchange it. I want to love this keyboard. I like when you choose the NI B4 setup (an included preset) and use the sliders to control the drawbars.

John

Thumbs up Re: Once again the Keyboard question.

ghostwriter, thanks for the comp and always happy to brighten your day. Take some of the BS off your mind for a bit at least.
    So, are you saying I should reconsider or am I doing the right thang? After reading through the Harmony Central link you posted (thanks BTW) It would seem I should stick to my not buying. I did try it out at Guitar Center but there was something about it that wouldn't let go telling me not to buy.
    I talked to Chris at Edirol and he told me the PCR-M80 will not be available till this April and I should be quite happy with the feel and response of the keyboard overall. We shall see. I have called Guitar Center and informed them I want to be notified when the Edirol comes in. Again, we shall see.
    Styxx

Hi Styxx,
    I have the 88 Pro also, and I like it. For a semi-weighted board, it's not too bad! The keys do feel a little stiff right now, and I'm not sure it that's because it's new or if that's how it's supposed to be. For $250.00, I think that it was worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by moviemaestro
    Hi Styxx,
    I have the 88 Pro also, and I like it. For a semi-weighted board, it's not too bad!The keys do feel a little stiff right now, and I'm not sure it that's because it's new or if that's how it's supposed to be. For $250.00, I think that it was worth it.
    Hoooold on thar Bobbalouie! Where did ya get an M-Audio Keystation 88 Pro for "$250" and may I ask is that U.S. dollars?
    Styxx

Guitar Center, and yes US$. I bought the only one that they had, and spent mucho moola that day, so maybe they gave me a deal on it? I couldn't pass it up!

Thumbs up Re: Once again the Keyboard question.

I'll say, I would have scarffed it up as well for two and a half beans! Well, now that's a horse of a different color ya might say!
    Styxx

Sorry, didn't realize that I got for such a deal. I've been lucky lately when it comes to buying gear. Somebody up there must like me...

Go Back to forum