• Register
  • Help

Topic: Dynamics in Sibelius

Share/Bookmark

Dynamics in Sibelius

I hope this is clear, but I barely understand what I'm asking, so forgive me if it seems to makes no sense what so ever.

I'm currently using Sibelius with GPO studio to write out a score. I have the studio set in default mode and I am using the ~C1,xxx command to imput mod data directly after the text (as shown in the gpo booklet and some tutorials). I am trying to get it to sound as near to how it would sound in a real preformance as possible (dynamics wise). So obviously for fff, the mod data should be about as high as possible (127). So...does any one know what the other dynamic markings would be as a modulation value? I thought that, since there are usualy 7 different levels of dynamics (ppp, pp, mp, mf, f, ff, fff), I'd just divide 127 by 7 which is roughly 18 to get ppp, and each time I go up a level (say from f to ff) i'd simply add 18. This gives a nice even set of dynamics. So my question is; what do people thing of this? Is this a good way of getting a farely acurate simulation of how the volumes of instruments in a real orchestra would sound with each other. Perhaps if there is someone here who works with real orchestras and uses sibelius/gpo to write out there scores, could you maybe give some advice regarding this subject?

I also noticed in the Sibelius mixer window that the volumes of each instrument is actually pre-set, but they are also pre-set in the gpo studio. Doesn't this mean that they will conflict. for example; if the flute in gpo is 100 but in sibelius its 60, doesnt this mean your gonna hear it at 80? The way niether program intends for it to sound.... Wouldn't it be more accurate if the volumes in sibelius where all leveled out at 100, so that the volumes you end up hearing are the proper ones from GPO, and not an evened out version of both?

Thanks in advance

Re: Dynamics in Sibelius

I'm not at my Sib computer right now, but there's a property page that lets you adjust the velocity for the various dynamics markings (ppp - fff). Of course, that's not correct for GPO's programming, but that window will show you the default settings for each mark. Write them down, then you can use them in your "C1,64" style notation.

Regarding the mixer, Sibelius will override GPO's volume. It's not like an analog chain, where two gain knobs of 0.75 each cascade to 0.5 (0.75 x 0.75 = 0.5). In a MIDI system the sequencer/notator sends the volume control to the synth/sample player, then the synth/sampler implements that volume level.

-JF

Thanks a lot for the information and advice!

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    I'm not at my Sib computer right now, but there's a property page that lets you adjust the velocity for the various dynamics markings (ppp - fff). Of course, that's not correct for GPO's programming, but that window will show you the default settings for each mark. Write them down, then you can use them in your "C1,64" style notation.
    -JF
    Do you soppose this will then give a pritty accutate prediction of how the dynamics will sound with a real orchestra? Or are they maybe some other factors that need to be considered?

Thanks,

Richard.

I think with GPO it will be pretty accurate, since GPO uses filtering/volume techniques to manage expression. For libraries with multiple velocity layers it's a bigger gamble, since there can be big jumps from one layer to the next if there are two through four layers involved. One layer never has that problem!

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Birdsall
    Thanks a lot for the information and advice!

Do you soppose this will then give a pritty accutate prediction of how the dynamics will sound with a real orchestra? Or are they maybe some other factors that need to be considered?

Thanks,

Richard.
    Richard,

If you are using Sibelius to score your winning entry there may be other considerations. What is done in MIDI may not always translate over to notation. Don't sweat the minute details. We will go over the score and the conductor and director may add their own markings.

Thanks for the replies.

Go Back to forum