• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Radio station no longer requires membership or login

Share/Bookmark

Radio station no longer requires membership or login

In my continuing efforts to bring new listeners to your music, I've decided to eliminate the requirement that people create a member account in order to listen to The Composer Channel. Hopefully this will bring us more people who might have hesitated to listen previously because they didn't want to sign up for something they thought would bring them spam. Now they can just go to the site and click on the listen link.

A member account will still be needed for contributing composers as it's tied in to the station database that provides all the info on composers, songs, etc. However, you only need to be logged in to update your info, not to listen.

Hope this will bring you a wider audience!
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Re: Radio station no longer requires membership or login

Sounds like a good decision! Thanks!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Duncan
    In my continuing efforts to bring new listeners to your music, I've decided to eliminate the requirement that people create a member account in order to listen to The Composer Channel. Hopefully this will bring us more people who might have hesitated to listen previously because they didn't want to sign up for something they thought would bring them spam. Now they can just go to the site and click on the listen link.

A member account will still be needed for contributing composers as it's tied in to the station database that provides all the info on composers, songs, etc. However, you only need to be logged in to update your info, not to listen.

Hope this will bring you a wider audience!
    Good idea!!

Richard

Thumbs up Re: Radio station no longer requires membership or login

Excellent idea Chris!
    Styxx

Good on yer. I think this should help. I'm reluctant to sign up for things, especially if I don't know the value beforehand. So for folks that just want to tune in, this is probably the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Duncan
    ...<edit>.... Hopefully this will bring us more people who might have hesitated to listen previously because they didn't want to sign up for something they thought would bring them spam. Now they can just go to the site and click on the listen link....<edit>...
    I hadn't thunk on that one before. But I'm glad you did, for now that you brought it up, I'm thinkin' you made the right decision. So, thanks for thinkin'!
    ~Rudy
    helmproductions.com
    =====================
    Rock-a-doodle-doooo!!

Thumbs up Re: Radio station no longer requires membership or login

EXCELLENT CHANGE, Christopher!

This will make sending out "promotions" a LOT easier. Strategically, I think you can "promote" signing up if the listener WANTS to receive promotional stuff about The Composer Channel and/or contribute to the Forum (and perhaps put a "Want to receive special info about upcoming events on The Composer Channel?" link right up there.

Related issue: I seem to remember a place where you published the content of the "editions" of the Programs, but I can't seem to stumble across in browsing.

I also tend to keep the smaller five "Listen" page on my desktop at pretty much all times. Although this seems to be a Javascript "OpenTccPlayer()" or "OpenTccLoFiPlayer()" invocation you might consider a "combo" page that is http-invocable for folks to bookmark. That small page could also have link(s) back to The Composer Channel pages and might develop into something that people leave on the desktop.

The only other "usability" suggestion I would make is to put the two "Click here to Listen" links on this page: http://www.ShowProgramming.com/TheComposerChannel.asp much higher up (like maybe even above the word "Welcome"). This would make folks sending out the link have to answer far fewer "confusion questions" (you know those!) from the folks that we want to PROMO to.

my $0.02 ... and thanks for all you do! KevinKauai

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    Good on yer. I think this should help. I'm reluctant to sign up for things, especially if I don't know the value beforehand. So for folks that just want to tune in, this is probably the way to go.
    Is that Brian Wilson lurking in your image?
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

No, its Tom Peters from 'Tom Goes to the Mayor,' an animated series on Adult Swim (Cartoon Network.) Yeah, yeah, I know. I should grow up already.

http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet.../showid-31027/

Quote Originally Posted by KevinKauai
    EXCELLENT CHANGE, Christopher!
    Related issue: I seem to remember a place where you published the content of the "editions" of the Programs, but I can't seem to stumble across in browsing.
    The schedule link is on the left menu,
    http://www.showprogramming.com/TccSchedule.asp

And by the way, I'd be grateful if you wouldn't make the source code of my web site public, even something as trivial as scripting calls. As a software developer yourself, I'm sure you can understand.

Thanks,
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Go Back to forum