• Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Topic: Any magic tips on getting a response from NI?

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Any magic tips on getting a response from NI?

    After yet another complete erase/restore of OSX and reinstallation of all my apps a couple of weeks back I've been trying to get a response from NI for a fresh reauthorization code for GPO with no luck. Maybe they're busy with shows or something.

    Not a big deal except that one can't upgrade to the newer version of GPO without this reauthorization. My other primary softwares are a piece of cake to reauthorize and I wonder if NI's process couldn't be simpler.

    Incidentally it looks like the problems I was having were related to bad 3rd party memory - thus far problems have disappeared after replacing it.


    Thanks and Happy Chinese New Year

  2. #2

    Re: Any magic tips on getting a response from NI?

    Why can't you do it remotely? Is there a problem with the online challenge/response tool? Just curious. If this is the case, then good luck my friend. My advice is to pester the snot out of them with emails until they send you the same generic email they probably sent me. Seriously, when I had issues it took a while to get them to respond to me. I just kept emailing them and praying that when I got home there would be a response waiting.

  3. #3

    Re: Any magic tips on getting a response from NI?

    Once you've registered and have to reauthorize, the system configuration apparently changes, and the original number obtained via the registration tool doesn't work. In the registration process on the NI website you get only so far and are left to start over with the process.

    Unfortunately this happened before and it took a long time to get response then. With Sibelius and other softwares I use I was ready to go the day I had to reinstall everything. NI took a long time but then sent me a very cordial email and re-registered my system.

    Thanks

  4. #4

    Re: Any magic tips on getting a response from NI?

    Yes, I understand that. But all you have to do is de-authorize the old system ID from their automated system and then re-authorize your new install. 'When' the process works, it works well.

  5. #5

    Re: Any magic tips on getting a response from NI?

    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    Yes, I understand that. But all you have to do is de-authorize the old system ID from their automated system and then re-authorize your new install. 'When' the process works, it works well.
    Thanks again - so maybe I'm missing something here. I was thinking that if I de-authorized the old system ID I wouldn't be able to re-authorize it.

    There's a note on that page that cautions

    "Please note that you cannot reactivate a hardware profile once it has been deactivated."

    That sounds like I won't be able to authorize GPO for use on this computer, and so I'm reluctant to take that little step. Am I reading it wrong?

  6. #6

    Re: Any magic tips on getting a response from NI?

    Yeah, you are. What that means is that if you de-authorize a PC that is running GPO/Kontakt and want to reinstall it and the System ID hasn't changed, you won't be able to register it since you've deauthorized it. This should never be a problem as long as its prompted you to re-register. I hope I don't confuse the matter more.

    Eh, how can I explain it...

    You had some hardware changes in your PC,
    It asks you to re-register,
    You try the old authorization code and it doesn't work,
    So... You de-athorize the old System ID at NI's website,
    And go through the process of getting a new one.

    The only time there would be a problem is if you de-authorize an old System ID inadvertently and then need to re-register the software.

    Its confusing I know. I don't really know how to explain it.

  7. #7

    Re: Any magic tips on getting a response from NI?

    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    Yeah, you are. What that means is that if you de-authorize a PC that is running GPO/Kontakt and want to reinstall it and the System ID hasn't changed, you won't be able to register it since you've deauthorized it. This should never be a problem as long as its prompted you to re-register. I hope I don't confuse the matter more.

    Eh, how can I explain it...

    You had some hardware changes in your PC,
    It asks you to re-register,
    You try the old authorization code and it doesn't work,
    So... You de-athorize the old System ID at NI's website,
    And go through the process of getting a new one.

    The only time there would be a problem is if you de-authorize an old System ID inadvertently and then need to re-register the software.

    Its confusing I know. I don't really know how to explain it.
    Thanks -

    I found the following language a bit confusing:

    You can complete the deactivation yourself via the link "Manage Registrations/Authorizations" on the NI registration page. Once you have successfully deactivated a hardware profile, a new authorization becomes free for you to use on the new/reconfigured computer. Please note that the deactivated hardware profile cannot be used again. This means you will not be able to authorize the product again on a computer with a deactivated hardware profile. According to the license agreement the product may not under any circumstances be used on a computer with a deactivated profile.

    and...

    4. You will probably see two entries for this product (since you already have two authorizations active). Here you must be very careful that you only deactivate the hardware profile that you will no longer need! The "Authorization Number" field tells you what order the authorizations were made in.
    For example, "Authorization No. 4.1" would mean: This is your fourth registered Native Instruments product, and it has been authorized one time. "Authorization 4.2" would mean: fourth registration, second authorization. The authorization date and the System ID indicate exactly which hardware profile is concerned. For example if you wanted to deactivate the very first profile you authorized, you could look for the oldest date, or profile "x.1". Important: The deactivation of a hardware profile can not be undone!

    ????~Be sure you're choosing the right one
    and click "deactivate"

    5. Be sure you're choosing the profile you no longer need! Then click "deactivate" for the profile entry you want to disable.
    Finished!



    To me this sounds as if you delete the authorization for your 'hardware profile' and you can't use the software on that machine thereafter. But I'm typically a little dense about these things.

    Also, when I'd registered before I had to repeat the process numerous times because the challenge and response process didn't work, so each time I opened GPO I got the same "unregistered copy" business.

    I just replaced some bad RAM which was like having a demon in your computer(and by extension in your life) and possibly this was also causing problems here, who knows. Some of the problems were almost comical.

    Thanks again

  8. #8

    Re: Any magic tips on getting a response from NI?

    Keep in mind that your computer generates a new profile anytime a change is made, so as long as your computer doesn't magically/intentionally revert to the state it was previous to the hardware change, then you're never going to have to worry about it. And if by some chance this did happen, there are ways around it (a forced config change for registration purposes.) I don't think its conceivable that you'd end up having issue with this unless you deactivate the wrong profile. Then you'll have some headaches for sure. Its nothing they can't fix though. If you feel uncomfortable doing this, though, maybe its best to let their techies get you sorted out.

  9. #9

    Re: Any magic tips on getting a response from NI?

    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    Keep in mind that your computer generates a new profile anytime a change is made, so as long as your computer doesn't magically/intentionally revert to the state it was previous to the hardware change, then you're never going to have to worry about it. And if by some chance this did happen, there are ways around it (a forced config change for registration purposes.) I don't think its conceivable that you'd end up having issue with this unless you deactivate the wrong profile. Then you'll have some headaches for sure. Its nothing they can't fix though. If you feel uncomfortable doing this, though, maybe its best to let their techies get you sorted out.
    Thanks again -

    For those of us who know little or nothing about these things, e.g. that "your computer generates a new profile anytime a change is made" the way can be rather rocky and tortuous. Maybe companies like NI should have altermate websites with simpler language and instructions for those of us who thrive on simplicity.

    P.S. I did find my way into the "manage authorizations" part of their website and deauthorized everything, was then able to register.

    Thanks again for your help

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •