• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Dain Brammage

Share/Bookmark

Talking Dain Brammage

Stage fright? Never a problem for me! (Hell, I didn’t know there was an audience half the time). But public speaking??? AHHHHH!!!. I’m terrified.

I have been invited by one of the two major Texas Universities to be a guest speaker this week (just in one literature class – not that big a deal). The topics will include Syllable Structure, The Use of Symmetry and Asymmetry in the Writing of Poetry and Prose, Effective use of Rhyme Scheme, “Maintaining the Shape of the Language”, “Show don’t Tell”, Acceleration/Deceleration for Effect…and other crap. I have a nice set of notes (no pun intended) and a lesson plan. The problem is the public speaking part. If I take my anti-anxiety pill, I’ll just be a drone…soo any ideas on how to deal with this fear?

Terrified in Texas....ok..ok...2112
    "So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Re: Dain Brammage

Wish I could help buddy, but my heart stops when I even think of public speaking.

I'm not the greatest public speaker in the world, but from my experience giving presentations in high school (and one last semester), I'll try to help. Practice saying whatever you want to say, and rehearse a few times to become comfortable communicating the subject. And, from a college student's perspective, show no fear! I don't mean to make you more afraid, but it's really annoying when a speaker says "I'm kinda nervous, so forgive me." You can't let anybody ever know you are nervous!

Also, if you're not very interested in the subject you're speaking about, pretend to be. Pretend it is your life, and there is nothing you'd rather do but talk about it. Be so into it that everybody thinks you are a nerd (a smart nerd, that is). If you make a good impression, maybe they'll invite you back!

And practice, practice, practice . . .

And if you use any examples, try to make them funny, to help calm any tension.

Hope this helps!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Quote Originally Posted by Brian2112
    The problem is the public speaking part. If I take my anti-anxiety pill, I’ll just be a drone…soo any ideas on how to deal with this fear?
    Just picture the audience in their underwear
    (No wait, you'll be out of place or you may laugh too much)

Better idea. I'll be in Texas faster than a jack rabbit on a hot tin roof running from a twister! You can rehearse your talk and I'll be a receptive audience to practice with.

Gary Garritan

Hey Sean Thanks!!!!

Yea, now that you mention all that, I think I'll be o.k.

I love the topic - so that's easy!

I have heard enough..."uh...and.." speeches to know how annoying that can be

And humor...I guess I'll be o.k. (at least in my own mind).

I think it’s just the anxiety before-hand that creeps me out. I have so much to cover and I’m so excited about the topics that the real problem will be getting me to shut up at some point once I get started.

Dad does it every day so maybe it’s in the genes….hehe.

Thanks again! I feel better now!
    "So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Just picture the audience in their underwear
    That is my normal state of being...Nice try though....LOL!!!
    The speech is Thursday so I'll just have to tell you how it went over...heheh. If I show up in San Antonio with egg on my face, I'll be easy to spot.

Seriously, thanks Gary! Can’t wait to see you!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian2112
    Stage fright? Never a problem for me! (Hell, I didn’t know there was an audience half the time). But public speaking??? AHHHHH!!!. I’m terrified.
    Well, with me it is usually the other way around. Not much stage fright with organ, but with piano, I am every bit as calm as a butterfly in a hurricane! With speaking, no problems. I once gave an extended impromptu speech in German, (in Frankfurt) had a lot of fun. But a little later, when I played at a concert, I was a nervous wreck! Teaching was a delight, when teaching electonic theory, but giving private music lessons was an ordeal. Practice and confidence have nothing to do with it for me, it is simply the way things are!

Be sure to take the river cruise in San Antonio. I enjoyed it immensely.

Richard

...what I always did was recording my lecture. it won't make the stage-fright disappear...but at least you can hear, analyse and improve your speech.

so it's a kind of good practice and might make you feel a little bit more safe on stage.

Thumbs up Re: Dain Brammage

Brian, Being prepared is more than half the battle! If there is even one small doubt about just one section, then you'll be uncomfortable. Make sure everything is set in your mind and make a road map of the lecture. Go over it seven times seven until you can hear it in your sleep. That always works for me. Or, I just picture myself on stage behind my drumset with a mic.
    However, if anything goes wrong do what I do. Bring a 46" big fat piece of salami with you and start joking!

BTW - If you do visit Mr. G., please say Haallo for me, thank you.
    Styxx

Hmmmm. I'm a natural loudmouth, so I usually get the audience in stitches shortly after the start. However, the FEAR is still there at the beginning. I like a couple of beers before going on or at least a Valium.

Stevemitchell

Go Back to forum