• Register
  • Help

Topic: Another Trumpet Piece

Share/Bookmark

Another Trumpet Piece

Well, it seems that I have been doing a lot of trumpet work lately. Here's another, as I am still working with GPO trumpet and Steinway.

After hearing a pianist in a church in San Franciso do some really thumping, foot stomping hymns, it occured to me to do this arrangement, so, I did, and here it is, after about the 5,000th revision (of the midi performance, not the arrangement). This is a later version than Chris Duncan has for his Internet Radio.

When the Saints (trumpet)
    http://www.sibeliusmusic.com/mp3/4/5/5/45572.mp3

I have one more trumpet work that I would like post here, but the length is about 8 minutes, and without broadband, that would be a time consuming operation.

Re: Another Trumpet Piece

This was enjoyable, but I felt like the trumpet stays too much in the same register. I'd like to hear some upper register work, particularly on the flourishes and bugle calls. Also (though this would make both Bach and Louie Armstrong roll over in their respective graves) I think harpsichord would provide a cleaner and brighter accompaniment for the trumpet. Why not do a little time-travelling?

Oh no, I missed the mariachi picture of you! Fantastic! Bravo, hombre!

Quote Originally Posted by danveach
    This was enjoyable, but I felt like the trumpet stays too much in the same register. I'd like to hear some upper register work, particularly on the flourishes and bugle calls. Also (though this would make both Bach and Louie Armstrong roll over in their respective graves) I think harpsichord would provide a cleaner and brighter accompaniment for the trumpet. Why not do a little time-travelling?
    Well, good points, and in some other works, the trumpet stays up there a bit more. The harpsichord sound interesting, but here I was concerned with a real thumping piano accompaniment. And, I wanted it to be sort of easy, but it really is not. I probably will raise the trumpet part where it has the brief accompaniment figures while the piano does the solo.

My cats love to wrap around the brim of that sombrero -- when I'm not wearing it.

Richard

Well, I have prepared an alternate version, which takes your suggestions seriously, regarding register of the trumpet. Probably in a day or so, I will upload the alternate version MP3, and will include also a parts extraction for the alternate trumnpet version. The piano part remains unchanged. This is going to need a really good trumpet player. Actually, intended for cornet, the first instrument I ever owned. If I don't wear myself out tomorrow assembling some easy assembly computer furniture, I will do it in the evening. Looks like I may have to drill some holes for cables.

Richard

Okay, you asked for it. Here it is. The trumpet part has been transposed an octave in some places. Piano is the same. GPO Trumpet (Dry), Solo Trpt Nr 2, and GPO Steinway X-Custom. Sonar FXReverb.

The new mp3 is (proably the same id)

When the Saints Trumpet
    http://www.sibeliusmusic.com/mp3/4/5/5/45572.mp3

The full score, if you are interested, can be viewed at:

When The Saints Trumpet
    http://www.sibeliusmusic.com/cgi-bin...?scoreid=45572

The score does not reflect the changes. I have added extracted trumpet parts, the alt trumpet being the new one. The piano part remains the same for either version. The score and parts can be downloaded free. You will need Scorch, which you can easily obtain from Sibelius when you click on view the score. When you view the score, you will also hear a midi version, not the GPO version as above.

Richard

Listened to the new version -- sounds very good. One might do more with some of the longer trumpet tones -- crescendo, diminuendo, change in pitch -- perhaps. But it hops along quite well already.

Go Back to forum