• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: OT Melodyne, Does anybody recommend it????

Share/Bookmark

Question OT Melodyne, Does anybody recommend it????

I am not a strong singer. I have pitch problems. I've invented keys and scales that are not known to man kind. Sea lions complain when I go for F#. The bowling alley asks me to keep it down and for some reason cats cross the street when they walk past my house.

OK, I'm not that bad, but I really think Melodyne Celemony (or is it Celemony Melodyne) could help me out. I have Akai Pitch Right and it sounds too robot like. I have downloaded the demo of Melodyne and I like the way you can see where you go sharp or flat. It seems to handle pitch correction without adding too many artifacts.

I could only affford the Cre8 version (8 mono tracks, etc) Does any one out there use this? Does it work well? Is it worth the $309 bucks at audio MIDI?

Any info, alternatives or feedback would help out a bunch! If you can't do it for me, do it for those poor sea lions and cats!!!!

All the very best,

Darren

Re: OT Melodyne, Does anybody recommend it????

Darren,

I use the Studio version of Melodyne. I highly recommend it. You have total control over how much or how little you want it to do. I bought it because I wanted that kind of control, and I couldn't be happier.

Be advised, if you're looking for a "quick" fix, or to spot fix a note or two, Auto Tune is probably a better choice. But based on your description, you want total control.

It can be fairly time consuming, especially when you're first learning it, but the results are more than worth it.

As always, there's no software (yet) that can aid in the tone or timbre of a vocalist, nor can it add "emotion", or "vibe", or" believability" to a performance. These absolutely need to come from the singer. But pitch, and even timing, can be totally controlled in Melodyne, and with results that sound completely natural.

Best bit of software designed in recent times, IMO. There's nothing else like it although it is a bit of a brain-number to learn!. Sounds like just what you need.

I'll make this simple for you ---- buy it. There is a bit of a learning curve to get the best results but it is well worth it. Make sure you go through all the demos and tutorials to get a real feel for what is possible with Melodyne. It'll amaze you! (FYI, I use the Cre8 version and it is more than suitable for most applications.)

Chris

YES
    Operation Mindcrime 2, in stores now.
    or go here...
    The Digital Bitphonic Orchestra
    -Ashif "Ash" Hakik

Quote Originally Posted by Jaimo
    As always, there's no software (yet) that can aid in the tone or timbre of a vocalist, nor can it add "emotion", or "vibe", or" believability" to a performance. These absolutely need to come from the singer. But pitch, and even timing, can be totally controlled in Melodyne, and with results that sound completely natural.

TC Electronics/T.C. Helicon has some stuff, but they have more hardware based voice manipulation stuff.

I got some nice results out of the voice prism + T.C. Helicon voice modelor card

you can add breath, change tone, and even add some "fairly realistic" vibrato and portamento.
    Operation Mindcrime 2, in stores now.
    or go here...
    The Digital Bitphonic Orchestra
    -Ashif "Ash" Hakik

Hi Darren ,

Well there is an alternative you might like to check out , it's called
    'Rephrase' by Leaping Frog Audio >>> http://www.leapfrogaudio.com/Rephrase.aspx

The advantage over Melodyne is that it is a VST plugin and also less expensive = $199 / €159 / £109

Check out the mp3 demos and the 14 day trial version

Thanks for the tip off regarding 'Rephrase', which is new to me. Is it a known and serious competitor to Melodyne, as I don't recall reading about it?

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Hardy Heern
    Thanks for the tip off regarding 'Rephrase', which is new to me. Is it a known and serious competitor to Melodyne, as I don't recall reading about it?

Frank
    Hi Frank ,

Rephraze has not been out very long and AFAIK has not had a lot of publicity, I have not used it or Melodyne so I can't really comment
    but if I had a choice I would and probably will when finances permit
    go for Rephraze .

There is some talk about Rephraze in this thread @ Kvr >> http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=71643

and Leaping Frog also have their own forum @ Kvr >> http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=27

Two questions:

1) Didn't Celemony announce a new (third) version of Melodyne at NAMM, that worked as a VST and was very affordable? (A few hundred dollars?)

2) I seem to recall that early releases of the Cre8 version were only 16 bit, as opposed to the Studio version that was 24 bit. Is this still the case?

Go Back to forum