• Register
  • Help

Topic: 11-year-old's work scored with GPO

Share/Bookmark

11-year-old's work scored with GPO

Friends of mine who retired years ago from dot.com-land are raising two wonderful, precocious children. Gus is 11; Lurana is 9. Gus prides himself on his songwriting and piano compositions. I told his parents I'd be happy to transcribe for him.

Yesterday I received a cassette from them, and went to work. But I couldn't just leave it at a mere, simple Finale transcription. I had to do a full, GPO-realized symphonic mock-up.

Here, then, is the triumphant Fairy's Frozen Fountain ; first, the original piano-four-hands version (performed by the composer and his sister), then the GPO orchestration.

I am thrilled to have been able to tickle these kids' ears.....

Re: 11-year-old's work scored with GPO

Wow, you did a great job! What a talented kid, hopefully he himself will be a GPO user in the future. You really made his composition sing with great orchestration. Thanks for sharing!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

It sounds great. It's a nice thing that you did.

Toonyfish

Wonderful. I wish I had GPO when I was at that age.

Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by ixm
    Wonderful. I wish I had GPO when I was at that age.

Thanks for sharing.
    You might be interested in this site.

http://www.vtmidi.org/

See "student work" link at the top of the page.

These kids don't have GPO (yet?), but they are composing on their own (with Sibelius). I'll be using GPO to "spice up" some of the MIDI files for an upcoming 10th Anniversary CD.

JP

I'm getting this:

Unable to process request at this time -- error 999

This is the type of presentation I wish was required in all grammar schools. Shows the move from concept to realization (youth to maturity of vision) with exceptional clarity -- and shows the power of collaberation, master ans student.

I have saved a copy to share with my grandson....who wants to compose, perfect and play all at once -- at age 8.

GC

Jeeze, people. Thanks for the kind words.
    I agree completely: kids, when turned loose with software tools like ours, should have the chance to create fun stuff, too.

David,

This is one of the best gifts you can ever give a child. Children are so filled with wonder and imagination and to take a creative work and bring it to life is magical. This is something Gus may remember his whole life. What encouragement and inspiration!

We hope to be hearing the Gus' symphonies someday. Thanks for sharing Gus' work and tell him he already has some fans.

Gary Garritan

Go Back to forum