• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Famous Drum solos.

Share/Bookmark

Thumbs up Famous Drum solos.

Found this website and thought some of you might be interested in hearing some of the famous drum solos. There is a battle solo between Buddy Rich and Gene Krupa you have to hear. For those of you that may not know these drummers it may be interesting to listen to the mp3. Other artist, Phil Collins, Chick Web, John Bonham, Ginger Baker and tons more. Check it out.

www.drummerworld.com/drummersolo.html

One note of interest - There is a lot of downloadable BIG BAND music to listen to hear!

Woe ... check out Keith Moon's solo.
    Styxx

Re: Famous Drum solos.

What? No Pierre Moerlen? He played drums in Gong during the '70s. The song Percolations is a ten minute drum solo of the gods. It's on the album Expresso in the US and Gazeuse in Europe.

BTW, Allan Holdsworth played electric guitar, acoustic guitar, violin and pedal steel on that album.

-JF

Angry Re: Famous Drum solos.

Not there? What the ... I think it's petition time!
    Styxx

Smile Re: Famous Drum solos.

The Blue Devils Drum and Bugle Corps drum solo at the DCI World Championships in 1984. Paradox by Kansas. The one handed accelerating drum roll. I was in the horn line and everytime I heard the solo it gave me goosebumps.

-LFO

P.S. Ok, it's not world famous, but in the drum corps world it's legendary.
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

I was going to send in my "one legged accelerated bass drum solo for the vertically challenged” but decided it was too complicated especially during the "toe nail" ostinato section near the finale.

Drum corps is so cool! I miss my high school days!
    Styxx

Talking Re: Famous Drum solos.

Ya wanna laugh, scroll down the left side menu of names and click on Ringo!
    Styxx

A fun movie for drummers is Drumline, a drama centered on the competition to get a position on a college marching band, and the competition between schools. I'd give the film a B- overall, but the music and musicianship is wonderful.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0303933/

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    A fun movie for drummers is Drumline, a drama centered on the competition to get a position on a college marching band, and the competition between schools. I'd give the film a B- overall, but the music and musicianship is wonderful.

-JF
    I've watched it about 4 times so far. Love the sticking but always hated the sound of the marching snares. For such a deep drum we always had the heaviest tightest skins tuned ultra high! But, I still love the stick control! In my teens I was able to do just about any of it. Now about the only stick I can control is the gear selector in my car!
    Styxx

Smile Re: Famous Drum solos.

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst

-JF
    Yeah, for drummers it was cool. But for the horn line I'd give it a D-. *No one* can march like that and play well. It's a shame becuase so many marching bands ruin their sound because they are stomping around so much they can't play their horns.

-LFO
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Go Back to forum