• Register
  • Help

Topic: Vivaldi's Bassoon Concerto in Eb Major

Share/Bookmark

Vivaldi's Bassoon Concerto in Eb Major

Hey gang,

I just finished this orchestration for a Ohio Northern University's upcoming concert. As far as I can tell, it has only been published as a Bassoon Solo with Keyboard accompaniemnt. So, it was cool when they asked me to arrange it for String Orchestra and Continuo.

Anyway, here's the link for the MP3:

http://www.jonnylostinc.com/Vivaldi%...20Concerto.mp3

...And here's the score.

http://www.jonnylostinc.com/Vivaldi'...Eb%20Major.pdf

Let me know what you guys and gals think. This is my first attempt at ensemble building. Here's the instrumentation used:

Solo Bassoon
    Violin I (5 Players)
    Violin II (4 Players)
    Viola (3 Players)
    Cello (4 Players)
    Double Bass (3 Players)
    Harpsichord

It's probably a bit bottom heavy for the time period but, oh well, you'll have that! :-)

Thanks,
    Jonny
    For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Re: Vivaldi's Bassoon Concerto in Eb Major

Excellent job, Jonny! Old "Tony" Vivaldi would be proud. I wish that I could hear the performance in person.

My best,

Larry A.

Jonny,

For your first go at it with the ensemble building you did an extraordinaryjob. Excellent orchestration. This is going to sound fanatastic live. Being able to do mock-ups for live orchestras is one of the reasons GPO was developed. I hope you record the live version. When will the concert be?

Gary Garritan

Gary,

I hope you are feeling better, my friend!

Thanks for the encouragement. I've played around with the ensemble building concept a bit, but this is the first time I've used it.

The Concert, I believe, is in March. I will definately be recording it, so I'll make sure to post it for you to listen to.

I hope things are going well in Texas. Be safe and have a great time.

Jonny
    For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Very good enseamble building!
    I'm still trying to figure out how to do it right myself and am still in the experimental phase. I'm a bassoon player, so it was interesting hearing a GPO bassoon concerto and playing the bassoon myself. (I'm a beginner, so I'm nowhere near as good as a virtual bassoonist!) Some of the rapidly repeated notes got the machine gun, but that was quite rare and I just barely noticed it. Maybe you can try tweaking the mod wheel and velocity levels for each of the different notes making each one different? Or (this could ruin it) switch rapidly from basson plr1 to plr2 to plr3?
    Just guesses on what I would try, 'cause I've never tried anything like that before. But if all else fails, don't worry, it wasn't screaming machine gun like a fff timpani roll or somehting.
    Other than that, I must say--the strings were VERY good! Right now I'm experimenting with enseamble and solo strings layered (I like large strings sections) and I haven't gotten very far (I just started experimenting this morning!

Anyways, great job!

Chris

Go Back to forum