• Register
  • Help

Topic: timpani roll

Share/Bookmark

timpani roll

I can't get a timpani roll without pops surrounding a bit of silence. It is not a matter of too little memory. After about 3 measures, pop, silence for about 1 measure, pop, play continues normally. Repeat for 92 measures, good receipe for temper tantrum. Only 7 voices total, one gpo player, dry instruments. Sonar 4 Studio with FX reverb (not a heavy reverb being used). At the time of the pop, cpu surges to over 90 %, drops back when play resumes. DXi or VST, no difference. Solo timpani, runs normal. Altering parameters move the point of the pop by a half second or so, otherwise, no difference. Mute timpani, all is normal. Mute any other track, no change. No backgraound programs running except Norton antivirus. Disable it, no change. System restore disabled. No change. Tried playback length of 50 %, no change. If I had a thermite grenade handy, I would probably put it to good use on this computer. Lot of time down the drain in futile search for source of problem. Any ideas?

Richard

Re: timpani roll

When it does that, look at the CPU meter and see what it says. It sounds like it's using up your CPU. Try lowering the polyphony on it until it stops.
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Quote Originally Posted by jesshmusic
    When it does that, look at the CPU meter and see what it says. It sounds like it's using up your CPU. Try lowering the polyphony on it until it stops.

Yes, it is overloading my cpu. But reducing polyphony is not the answer. 7 voices, each playing only one note is not much. I can use more. Most of the time, cpu usage is around 35 %. Then, the pop, at which time the cpu surges to 90% momentarily, returns to normal for 3 bars or so, and repeats ad nauseam.

If 7 voices exceeds my capability, then I surely have wasted much time, effort,and money. But I do not believe that is the problem.

Richard

addendum:

solution: mix down all except timpani. Then mix down timp with previous mix down. There it is, no problems. I would rather have found a prevention than a cure, but that's the way it is.
    Last edited by rwayland; 02-09-2005 at 11:17 PM. Reason: info added

Richard,

Lowering the polyphony of the Timpani KS instrument to "13" significantly lowers CPU usage on my system while still sounding reasonably good. If all else fails, you could try using the older (non KS, prior to update) version of the timpani. It should be less CPU intensive.

Tom

Richard

I too have had similar CPU overloads, not necessarily with a timp but also brass and cymbols.

Someone suggested I turn off hyperthreading in the BIOS, which I think did help, but with a bit more loading it was soon doing it again. This might well be enough for your ensemble though.

Also, I noticed that whilst playing my entire ensemble caused popping - I could mix down everything in one mix and the resulting wav file had no popping - obvious when you think about it - but this might be less bother than the multiple mix downs you are doing at the moment.

Hope somebody comes up with something to fix all this stuff - it is a great product, if only it didn't pop.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    Richard,

Lowering the polyphony of the Timpani KS instrument to "13" significantly lowers CPU usage on my system while still sounding reasonably good. If all else fails, you could try using the older (non KS, prior to update) version of the timpani. It should be less CPU intensive.

Tom
    Thanks! That did it.

Richard

Go Back to forum