• Register
  • Help

Topic: Cubase SE vs SONAR 4 SE

Share/Bookmark

Exclamation Cubase SE vs SONAR 4 SE

spectrum:
    I wanted to say that I have a few of your older libraries and I very much appreciate the dedications. 'nuff said.

To everyone else (or spectrum as well):
    I'm pretty set on creating a little studio using at least Atmospheres and RMX, maybe Trilogy, as well as a few other toys: Absynth, Kompakt, Cameleon, maybe FM7 or Pro-53, and am torn between Cubase SE or SONAR 4 SE.

I've seen a few posts that indicate that all three VIs work well in SONAR, and a few other posts that indicate that they only have partial automation capacity, or that you have to do a few workarounds to get automation to work. I would think that Cubase, being a native VST platform, doesn't have these problems.

I'm also very interested in being able to use a 'freeze' function, and am wondering if the VIs can be 'frozen.' I should also note that most of my work will be very synth and sample based (pretty much entirely from the beginning) although I may be adding recorded vocals and such later on, but probably no more that 4-8 tracks.

So again my quandary is this: SONAR or Cubase? Current hardware is a P4 3.0 with a gig of RAM (probably will upgrade that to 2), 2x 200G SATA HDDs, and a SOundblaster Live card. Question about hardware: Is it possible to use the SOundblaster Stereo out or should I plan on investing in something a bit more pro?

Thanks for all your help....

IFly.....
    Last edited by I Fly C152s; 02-09-2005 at 03:54 PM. Reason: change email notification...

Re: Cubase SE vs SONAR 4 SE

hey there,

maybe this help is a little "unhelpy" but choose whatever you feel most comfortable with.

there is no best and no worst sequencer, every sequencer has it's advantages and disadvantages. no sequencer is perfect and no sequencer can do everything at best level.

each sequencer, sonar and cubase has demo versions. download them. use them both for a while and choose the one you feel most comfortable with.

i don't personally think that a few words like "yeh, sonar/cubase is best, because it has this/that feature(s) ..."

There are thousands of Sonar users, and there are thousands of Cubase users.

I agree that you should simply download demo versions and try each out.
    Given sequencers take a while to learn, once someone picks a sequencer, they tend to be very loyal to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Waywyn
    every sequencer has it's advantages and disadvantages. no sequencer is perfect and no sequencer can do everything at best level.
    Yes, you're exactly right, and that is the genesis of my questions. Simply stated, I'm building a little studio based around the Spectrasonics VIs, so I'm interested in know what DAW for WinXP has the best support for these programs.

If there are some cumbersome workarounds necessary to get any automation from them in a DXi-only platform like SONAR, I'd be disinclined to use that software. As it is, I'm leaning towards Cubase SX3, as I'm hoping that it's qualifies for a crossgrade from Steinburg. Currently I have a copy of SONAR 2.2XL, although I haven't used it for anything in a long time.

Again, any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by I Fly C152s
    If there are some cumbersome workarounds necessary to get any automation from them in a DXi-only platform like SONAR, I'd be disinclined to use that software.
    Again, any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
    SONAR is not a DXI-only platform. There is a VST wrapper in SONAR which takes care of the VSTi's.

SONAR lets you automate every single, individual, one-by-one feature that is available in the instrument/plug-in. The scope for automation is only limited by the plug-in or VSTi.

Try the SONAR 4 Producer DEMO, as well as the latest from CUBASE, and see how they feel.

Good hunting!
    Derrkins

Music is an exact, inexact, subjective, objective ArtScience.
    - Derrkins 2002
    -----------------------------------------
    Stepped up again ....
    New specs ....
    Core 2 Quad 2.4
    Intel Media Edition MoBo
    2x2gb RAM

I don't know Sonar 4 SE but I have Cubase SE and Stylus RMX. Stylus RMX crashes under Cubase SE when using the power filter. This doesn't seem to happen with cubase SX3 so it could just be on my pc but thought you might wanna know. I haven't got Trilogy and Atmosphere, so I don't know about compatibility in regards to those, but as they've been around for a while I presume they work fine.

Other than that I think Cubase SE is superb for the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Mosquito
    Other than that I think Cubase SE is superb for the money.
    How well does the freeze function work in SE, RMX specifically, but anything else as well....

Thanks.....

CAN one try out cubase? I've never found a demo before...

There's no freeze function in SE. SE is build upon SX1.
    EDIT: found the SX 1.02 demo HERE
    SE is just SX 1 without all the bells and whistles.

Go Back to forum