• Register
  • Help

Topic: can't find timp roll

Share/Bookmark

can't find timp roll

I know this might seem like a stupid question, but where is the timpani roll? Or do we have to insert the notes manually? I've been through all the percussion instruments I think. Did I miss something?

Thanks
    Kin
    "Life is rarely fair..." - Garlan, of Thorandall
    http://pjdeakin.blogspot.com/

Re: can't find timp roll

If you choose the Timpani, KS from the instrument percussion list you should see on the left hand of the Kontakt keys three brownish keys, C C# and D. Press the D key and use the "Top" blue key section on any one note will give you a roll effect for that note. Pressing down is one stroke and release is another. In fast succession this gives you a roll effect. Note that the "Lower" blue key section still only gives you one stoke. My guess is there was no need to be redundant.
    Hope this helps.
    Styxx

Thanks Styxx, that's what I had used. It works I guess - just! Then of course, the CPU doesn't like it and the sound crackles a bit. Ah well, life is rarely fair.

Regards,
    Kin

I like to play my rolls in manually with the alternating left and right hand samples. Gives me good control over velocity and speed.

Thumbs up Re: can't find timp roll

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn
    I like to play my rolls in manually with the alternating left and right hand samples. Gives me good control over velocity and speed.
    Thanks Haydn I forgot to mention it as one of the better ways of playing rolls in on timps.
    Styxx

Yeah, thought of that too, but 2 channels just for timp rolls? Seems a bit of overkill. Hmmm, I will try it. Thanks Haydn

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Thanks Haydn I forgot to mention it as one of the better ways of playing rolls in on timps.
    It sure is. But for a long roll, do the alternate hand thing for a few measures, then copy & paste. I just did it, with good effect, for a soft timpani roll of 93 measures. I did the alternate thing for 4 measures, then pasted 23 times, sounded good. Actually, I used a paradiddle approach, which helped.

The cpu problem is still present - overload cpu, pop, silence, play normal. Repeat for ever. The work around is to mixdown everything except timp, then another mix with timp and the previous mix. Klutzy, but works.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Kinvint
    but 2 channels just for timp rolls? .

Just one channel! There are two blue colored key sectons, separated by some white. They are duplicates. Just alternate the same note, first from the left blue, then from the right blue.

Richard

I would also like to see sampled timp. rolls. Working from a notation program on Mac mostly make it possible to use rolls. Even if I play back the timp. only it will stop playing due to cpu oveload.

Björn

A timpani roll on my system rarely ever uses 10% CPU usage. I've done full orchestration using manual rolls as well as having harp arpeggios going! This is on a P4 2.8 GHz machine.

Go Back to forum