• Register
  • Help

Topic: a general plugin question - which is your fave and absolutely musthave

Share/Bookmark

a general plugin question - which is your fave and absolutely musthave

Heyho together,

after all this time on composing and music producing etc a lot of new plug ins were released for mastering, mixing etc and it got really hard to decide which one are the very cool plugs.

so generally it is the same like the old sequencer question but i think on plugins, eq, compressors, multibandlimitingwarmifyingspreadmotherfokkerators , ... there is just too much.

i never had some time to check out the voxengo stuff and i really tested a lot of plugins and in every studio i have been over the time i was asking holes in the stomaches of all kinds of sounddesigner and studio owners...

so here is my questions, which are your really favorite plugins and which one can let music sound better than other plugins???

i have the feeling that waves is no longer really the best or the overall winner in terms of directx plugins and even it is so expensive it doesnt mean it sounds best

what do you think ?

Re: a general plugin question - which is your fave and absolutely musthave

There's a million plugs out there that I haven't tried, but from my limited experience I'd have to say my favourites are..........

Freaky and fun : NI Spektral Delay, and Ohmboyz Quad Frohmage. You can get a load of interesting effects from these two plugins.

'Boring' but indespensible : Waves L2, Waves LinMB EQ, and UAD Cambridge EQ's. I use the L2 on everything. It's just about idiot proof, which is just as well in my case. Same with the two EQ's mentioned. They are so easy to use. There are many people who seem to want their EQ's to add some sort of character and overall magical sheen to their audio, whereas I just want my EQ's to.......well.........EQ basically!

Steve

thx steve,

yeh i mainly ment stuff like eq, compressors and mastering tools.

i found out that the voxengo elephant is as much powerful as the L2 or even L3 - if not better, compared to that the elephant2 is like 70$ and the L2 is much much more expensive.

also the eqs are really hard to decide. hearing the warmifier, curveeq or TLAudio EQ1, you get much better results as using L3 multimaximizer or even the wave eqs... but i am sure if this is a matter of taste or if i hear really more "cleaniness" and finer results.

Quote Originally Posted by Waywyn
    thx steve,

yeh i mainly ment stuff like eq, compressors and mastering tools.

i found out that the voxengo elephant is as much powerful as the L2 or even L3 - if not better, compared to that the elephant2 is like 70$ and the L2 is much much more expensive.

also the eqs are really hard to decide. hearing the warmifier, curveeq or TLAudio EQ1, you get much better results as using L3 multimaximizer or even the wave eqs... but i am sure if this is a matter of taste or if i hear really more "cleaniness" and finer results.
    You might want to look at the UAD-1 card. I've lost track of all the different pricing structures going on there, but they have a host of compressors, EQ's, delay units etc. etc. and I think they have a mastering limiter for it too now.

I think I could quite happily survive with a UAD-1 card provided it included the Cambridge EQ's and the Mastering Limiter.

Steve

RoomVerb M2 - SpinAudio - the 'best' algorythmic reverb out there IMO. It has a warm natural sound without oversaturating the audio (unless you like it verby.)

3D Panner Studio - SpinAudio - very good for pseudo 3D panning, but equally suited for normal orchestra panning work as well.

Ozone - iZotope - An excellent mastering solution. Period. The value for money is outstanding.

Trash - iZotope - An excellent Amp sim for guitars, but equally useful for trashing drum and keyboards. There's a lot this little plug can do. The speaker emulations are worth the money alone.

Elephant - Voxengo - A nice limiter. No noticeable artifacts in the resulting audio and it retains the dynamic level well.

Go Back to forum