• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: making loud, hard, intense brass sounds

Share/Bookmark

making loud, hard, intense brass sounds

greetings!

i own ewqlso silver and gpo.
    any advice on how to make hard, loud brass music?
    like 'army fighting' or 'victum escaping' film music (alan silvestri, john frizzell).

here are some examples from movies.
    is it possible to do something like these samples on my pc?

if you recommend me buying additional librarys i don't mind at all, but if i can do it with what i have that's better

Re: making loud, hard, intense brass sounds

Hehe....you and the rest of this community wants to know!

I have used this old Roland Orchestral library that has some of those stabs that come in handy when layered with more tonal samples.

Other than that, I would refer you to my main man Dan Dean and his Brass Ensembles....the staccato low brass make great hard stabbing material.
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

Quote Originally Posted by FireRaven
    greetings!

i own ewqlso silver and gpo.
    any advice on how to make hard, loud brass music?
    like 'army fighting' or 'victum escaping' film music (alan silvestri, john frizzell).

here are some examples from movies.
    is it possible to do something like these samples on my pc?

http://www.geocities.com/fireraven231/hard_brass.mp3
    http://www.geocities.com/fireraven231/brass_perc.mp3

if you recommend me buying additional librarys i don't mind at all, but if i can do it with what i have that's better
    Hello Graham,

Although it's very difficult for a sample library to reproduce the dynamic and nuance of a real group of instruments, some can bring you close. As far as brass is concerned, I personally would recommend you take a look at Sonic Implants' Symphonic Brass Collection and also the Project SAM Brass. Both will help you achieve the aggressive sound you're interested in and both have many articulations, all of them very well captured, aiding in recreating a convincing brass performance.

Best,

Kaveh

www.kavehcohen.com

You won't find many "classical" libs that delivers this - not many at all. Overblowing a brass instrument to the degree where the tone .. ehm ... "cracks up" into "blaaat" or a "screaming tone" (in lack of better describition, I am not natively english speaking) is not customary for a brass player in a classical orchestra, it is not a part of the classical idiom - which is more kind of "mastery within moderation". So the brass never play their instruments that way no matter how loud they play - unless called for by the conductor or style in question. That's is also why classical libs don't deliver much of those types of samples.

But if needed, I agree with Midphase; Dan Deans brass (solo or ens) are the only ones I've heard so far that delivers screaming fff in a good way. Check it out
    Kid: When I become an adult I wanna be a musician.
    Parent: Son, you cannot become both.

Think Jazz. I use Gold. In the first example those are just horn rips, then horn rips with bass drum hits underneath. I'm doing something similar for a movie I'm working on.

I don't know if silver has horn rips, but if so, then use those with the bass drum hit hard so you get the slap of the beater hitting the head of the drum. Also I might use a whip sound, but maybe not.

In the second example I would use brass accents with a fff snare drum hit to accentuate the highness. Also, I've been adding the Doubel bass slaps to bring out the bite.

Midi orchestration is a bit different than "regular orchestration", but if you know how to orchestrate those hits for live orchestra, you can find ways to get the same effect midi wise.

Just start with the basics of the rips and accents then see what you can add to make them hit even harder.

thanks for your replies!

i will look into it

You may want to check out VSL Epic Horns. It has lots of blaring french horns (8 of them actually).

-T

will do!

i found that adding overdrive distortion to the brass gives a nice hard sound.

Quote Originally Posted by FireRaven
    will do!

i found that adding overdrive distortion to the brass gives a nice hard sound.
    ? I've never heard of that, but if it works for you that's great.

Cheers,

Jose

I nice touch of dirtotion can add a good bit of "bite" to something, if you have it kick in only on loud transients. Its been suggested numerous times around these parts.

Also another good idea is to eat alot of bean burritos and take a mic into the restroom with you hehehee
    Operation Mindcrime 2, in stores now.
    or go here...
    The Digital Bitphonic Orchestra
    -Ashif "Ash" Hakik

Go Back to forum