• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Topic: Steinway questions

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Question Steinway questions

    I'm brand-spanking new to MIDI and GPO. I've been recording audio in various Cakewalk products for three years. Currently on SONAR PE4.

    My machine:
    P4 3.0 ghz
    Intel 865Perl 800 fsb
    1 gig RAM

    Now my questions...

    I'm going be recording a class of young piano students. Should I record them using the audio outs of my Yamaha P-60 or use it to trigger the Steinway in GPO?

    Do I have enough RAM to run the Steinway by itself?

    Thanks,

    Earl

  2. #2

    Re: Steinway questions

    1 gig of RAM should certainly be sufficient for the GPO steinway piano.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

  3. #3

    Re: Steinway questions

    Wow! Thanks for the speedy reply!

    Muchos gracias!

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Kauai, Hawaii, USA
    Posts
    685

    Exclamation Re: Steinway questions

    The big difference between "recording" your piano students from the audio outs and in a sequencer will be that you can store a LOT more MIDI on your computer hard drive than audio.

    my $0.02 -- KevinKauai

    [wish I'd had MIDI when I was slogging through all that early Bach and stuff in piano lessons -- think of all the "bloopers" I could have fixed in the "piano roll" editor is somethingl ike SONAR or Cubase!]

  5. #5

    Re: Steinway questions

    I have 300 gigs of storage in the machine and another 240 in external drives so that won't be an issue. But as I've been learning, I can tweak the MIDI notes much more efficiently and precisely than I can the audio.

    Is it everyone's consensus that the Steinway in GPO will sound much better than the Yamaha, which sounds quite nice?

  6. #6

    Re: Steinway questions

    Quote Originally Posted by eclark
    Is it everyone's consensus that the Steinway in GPO will sound much better than the Yamaha, which sounds quite nice?
    A man walks into the Coca Cola Bottling plant, stands on top of a desk, and asks the workers, "What do you guys think tastes better, Coke or Pepsi?"
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com


  7. #7

    Re: Steinway questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Duncan
    A man walks into the Coca Cola Bottling plant, stands on top of a desk, and asks the workers, "What do you guys think tastes better, Coke or Pepsi?"
    Point well taken.

    However, humor me. I played pedal steel (C&W) for 27 years and now playing bluegrass mandolin for the last three years and am looking for opinions of those who have a better ear for sampled instruments.

    Hep a brutha' out...

    *On edit - I've been listening to the Composer Channel all afternoon. AMAZING!!!!

  8. #8

    Re: Steinway questions

    Quote Originally Posted by eclark
    Point well taken.

    However, humor me. I played pedal steel (C&W) for 27 years and now playing bluegrass mandolin for the last three years and am looking for opinions of those who have a better ear for sampled instruments.

    Hep a brutha' out...

    *On edit - I've been listening to the Composer Channel all afternoon. AMAZING!!!!
    Check the banjo samples at:

    http://www.frontporchbanjo.com if you want to hear some realism. One of my banjo compositions, "Bantar", is on the page.

    Regards,

    Larry Alexander

  9. #9
    Senior Member rwayland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    California Redwoods
    Posts
    2,937

    Re: Steinway questions

    Quote Originally Posted by eclark
    I'm brand-spanking new to MIDI and GPO. I've been recording audio in various Cakewalk products for three years. Currently on SONAR PE4.

    My machine:
    P4 3.0 ghz
    Intel 865Perl 800 fsb
    1 gig RAM

    Now my questions...

    I'm going be recording a class of young piano students. Should I record them using the audio outs of my Yamaha P-60 or use it to trigger the Steinway in GPO?

    Do I have enough RAM to run the Steinway by itself?

    Thanks,

    Earl

    I would certainly use the XP-Custom Steinway of GPO, which has nice shadings. That is, depdnding on how velocity sensitive your Yamaha is. I am not familiar with that model.

    Is there still a brick highway in the area around Weatherford? I think it used to be between Mineral Wells and Weatherford, but that was long ago. Bricks were spaced like a driveway, with the space between unpaved. The idea adhered to by the governor (Ma Davis?) was that the wheels only used part of the road, so why pave the whole thing. I still have quite a pile of sheet music that I bought in Fort Worth in the early fifties. Lots of good memories of the area.

    Richard

  10. #10

    Re: Steinway questions

    Quote Originally Posted by eclark
    Point well taken.

    However, humor me. I played pedal steel (C&W) for 27 years and now playing bluegrass mandolin for the last three years and am looking for opinions of those who have a better ear for sampled instruments.

    Hep a brutha' out...

    *On edit - I've been listening to the Composer Channel all afternoon. AMAZING!!!!
    I tease everyone else here, figured if I didn't do the same for you it might make you feel less than family.

    Bluegrass? Yikes. I've got 30 years of rock & roll behind me, and I still can't keep up with you guys. Great stuff. And the Grateful Dead stuff I like the best is when Jerry Garcia was playing pedal steel (Working Man's Dead, American Beauty, Europe '72).

    Yeah, the Composer Channel has been a lot of fun. These composers here are really an inspiration, aren't they? Can't wait to hear what you bring to the party.
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com


Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •