• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Steinway questions

Share/Bookmark

Question Steinway questions

I'm brand-spanking new to MIDI and GPO. I've been recording audio in various Cakewalk products for three years. Currently on SONAR PE4.

My machine:
    P4 3.0 ghz
    Intel 865Perl 800 fsb
    1 gig RAM

Now my questions...

I'm going be recording a class of young piano students. Should I record them using the audio outs of my Yamaha P-60 or use it to trigger the Steinway in GPO?

Do I have enough RAM to run the Steinway by itself?

Thanks,

Earl

Re: Steinway questions

1 gig of RAM should certainly be sufficient for the GPO steinway piano.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Wow! Thanks for the speedy reply!

Muchos gracias!

Exclamation Re: Steinway questions

The big difference between "recording" your piano students from the audio outs and in a sequencer will be that you can store a LOT more MIDI on your computer hard drive than audio.

my $0.02 -- KevinKauai

[wish I'd had MIDI when I was slogging through all that early Bach and stuff in piano lessons -- think of all the "bloopers" I could have fixed in the "piano roll" editor is somethingl ike SONAR or Cubase!]

I have 300 gigs of storage in the machine and another 240 in external drives so that won't be an issue. But as I've been learning, I can tweak the MIDI notes much more efficiently and precisely than I can the audio.

Is it everyone's consensus that the Steinway in GPO will sound much better than the Yamaha, which sounds quite nice?

Quote Originally Posted by eclark
    Is it everyone's consensus that the Steinway in GPO will sound much better than the Yamaha, which sounds quite nice?
    A man walks into the Coca Cola Bottling plant, stands on top of a desk, and asks the workers, "What do you guys think tastes better, Coke or Pepsi?"
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Duncan
    A man walks into the Coca Cola Bottling plant, stands on top of a desk, and asks the workers, "What do you guys think tastes better, Coke or Pepsi?"
    Point well taken.

However, humor me. I played pedal steel (C&W) for 27 years and now playing bluegrass mandolin for the last three years and am looking for opinions of those who have a better ear for sampled instruments.

Hep a brutha' out...

*On edit - I've been listening to the Composer Channel all afternoon. AMAZING!!!!

Point well taken.

However, humor me. I played pedal steel (C&W) for 27 years and now playing bluegrass mandolin for the last three years and am looking for opinions of those who have a better ear for sampled instruments.

Hep a brutha' out...

*On edit - I've been listening to the Composer Channel all afternoon. AMAZING!!!!
    Check the banjo samples at:

http://www.frontporchbanjo.com if you want to hear some realism. One of my banjo compositions, "Bantar", is on the page.

Regards,

Larry Alexander

I'm brand-spanking new to MIDI and GPO. I've been recording audio in various Cakewalk products for three years. Currently on SONAR PE4.

My machine:
    P4 3.0 ghz
    Intel 865Perl 800 fsb
    1 gig RAM

Now my questions...

I'm going be recording a class of young piano students. Should I record them using the audio outs of my Yamaha P-60 or use it to trigger the Steinway in GPO?

Do I have enough RAM to run the Steinway by itself?

Thanks,

Earl

I would certainly use the XP-Custom Steinway of GPO, which has nice shadings. That is, depdnding on how velocity sensitive your Yamaha is. I am not familiar with that model.

Is there still a brick highway in the area around Weatherford? I think it used to be between Mineral Wells and Weatherford, but that was long ago. Bricks were spaced like a driveway, with the space between unpaved. The idea adhered to by the governor (Ma Davis?) was that the wheels only used part of the road, so why pave the whole thing. I still have quite a pile of sheet music that I bought in Fort Worth in the early fifties. Lots of good memories of the area.

Richard

Point well taken.

Hep a brutha' out...

I tease everyone else here, figured if I didn't do the same for you it might make you feel less than family.

Bluegrass? Yikes. I've got 30 years of rock & roll behind me, and I still can't keep up with you guys. Great stuff. And the Grateful Dead stuff I like the best is when Jerry Garcia was playing pedal steel (Working Man's Dead, American Beauty, Europe '72).

Yeah, the Composer Channel has been a lot of fun. These composers here are really an inspiration, aren't they? Can't wait to hear what you bring to the party.
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Go Back to forum