• Register
  • Help

Topic: String Quartet Demo Piece

Share/Bookmark

String Quartet Demo Piece

Here is a four-piece string quartet done in GPO. I'm particularly interested in comments on sound and technique. Work on improving composition comes later.

Here's the link: String Quartet

Thanks.

Re: String Quartet Demo Piece

[QUOTE=PlayingAround]I'm particularly interested in comments on sound and technique. Work on improving composition comes later.QUOTE]
    Personally, I think the composition comes first, then the realism and sound quality.
    Well, your composition can't get much better, anyway!
    Terriffic job!!
    One thing I noticed (I don't think this is your fault) is that on sustained notes, the volume swells. I encounter this problem a lot and I cancel it out with the mod wheel starting a bit too high and coming down to the volume I want. This will give me a somewhat more steady volume level. Solo strings (in my opinion) are really bad with this, along with a couple of the woodwinds.
    Other than that, I really liked the attacks and releases being slightly off. It really huminized the performance!

Good luck in future works!
    Chris

Re: String Quartet Demo Piece

Personally, I think the composition comes first, then the realism and sound quality.
    You're right of course. I only meant to say that very little time was spent on the composition so it isn't worthy of feedback. Right now I am trying to learn sequencing and GPO.

Other than that, I really liked the attacks and releases being slightly off. It really huminized the performance!
    That comes from playing the notes using my keyboard, the mod wheel and pedal in real time. I tell myself that the "errors" make it sound more realistic, but I am probably just giving myself the excuse to move on to something new without cleaning things up too much

Go Back to forum