• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: How to tell how much RAM you're using?

Share/Bookmark

Question How to tell how much RAM you're using?

I'm just starting out with GPO and am wondering how to tell how much RAM you are using? I was loading samples and was surprised to get a message saying I was approaching my limit, but it didn't give any numbers.

I have 2GB of RAM. How much will be allocated to GPO, and is this something that can be adjusted?

Thanks for any help.

Re: How to tell how much RAM you're using?

Quote Originally Posted by aspenleaf
    I'm just starting out with GPO and am wondering how to tell how much RAM you are using? I was loading samples and was surprised to get a message saying I was approaching my limit, but it didn't give any numbers.

I have 2GB of RAM. How much will be allocated to GPO, and is this something that can be adjusted?

Thanks for any help.

Are you using Windows? You can bring up the task manager (right click tasbar, click "task manager") and then click the "processes" tab. Click the top of the memory column to sort by memory usage. On mine, the sonar process shows up there (something like SONARSTD.EXE) using 600-ish megabytes of memory on one of my projects.

How much RAM you use will really depend on which and how many instuments you are using. But if you're running out of RAM using GPO with 2 gigs, then you're either loading really large ensembles or you have other programs running that are eating up a lot of RAM. I'd try Thud's suggestion of using th task manager to while loading up your instruments to see how much memory is going towards GPO and your sequencer and how much is going to othe programs. It could just be that you have too many unnecessary background programs running.
    Tim

Question Re: How to tell how much RAM you're using?

Maybe I'm not using GPO correctly? I'm used to using Gigastudio, where I load the entire orchestra (many .gigs are keyswitched and quite large), so they are all available if I need them. I understand that GPO doesn't stream from disk, but are you just loading the samples you know you will need for the piece you're currently working on? It seems like that can lead to a lot of disorganized port assignments if you have to add something later.

I checked my RAM usage in task manager, and it showed 1.3 GB for Sonar. Nothing else but Windows was using very much RAM, so it seems that I should have a bit more still available. Does GPO have a setting to determine how much of the total system RAM it will use?

A handy application to download is Cacheman XP. You can set it to sit in the system tray (bottom right hand corner of windows) and it will tell you how much ram you have left.

Very handy when loading up a project.
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com
    ---------------------------

Lightbulb Re: How to tell how much RAM you're using?

The Windows Task Manager "Perormance" tab (look for "Available" under the "Physical Memory (K)" group box) is a good place to watch your RAM usage. I typically have it up when I'm using Cubase SX and VSTi's to gauge how much various samples take.

my $0.02 ... KevinKauai

Cool Re: How to tell how much RAM you're using?

Try Rambooster, it can even give You back some RAM sometimes - for example when using Stylus RMX.

just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by aspenleaf

Aspenleaf,
    Rather than re-invent the wheel, have a look at this thread over at KVR. I've worked out how to get more out of your >2GB of RAM.

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewto...=924100#924100

Question Re: How to tell how much RAM you're using?

John,

Thanks for the link. I read it, but I don't quite understand how you modified the Sonar executable. Maybe I'm dense, but could you please go into more detail and kind of walk me through it?

Go Back to forum