• Register
  • Help

Topic: Replacing old motherboard

Replacing old motherboard

Hey folks, I've got a giga system that died today (it won't even boot), and we believe the culprit is the motherboard. So I'm gonna buy a new mobo, but would like to make it work with the other stuff I already have. After scouring the forum, I've seen the recomendations for the Asus P4C800-E Deluxe, and am considering that one. But other than the chipset, I don't see significant differences between that and the P4P800-MX, which is a heck of a lot cheaper. Anybody know if there's a reason to choose the P4C800-E Deluxe over the P4P800-MX?

P4P800-MX: http://www.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=P4P800-MX&langs=01
    P4C800-E Deluxe: http://www.asus.com/products/mb/sock...d/overview.htm

Fwiw, the board it's replacing is the Intel 845GBVL:

From what I can tell, either of the ASUS boards is a little bit of an upgrade.

Possibly relevant info: This is a dedicated Giga machine, 2.54, though I will likely upgrade to GS3 sometime this year. I've got three hard drives attached, all Seagate Barracudas, 40Gig, 80Gig, and 200Gig. I'm using the RME9636 for my soundcard.

Thanks a bunch for your help!

Re: Replacing old motherboard

The MX mobo is based on the 865GV chipset which has integrated graphics. If you DO choose the 865 chipset, I would recommend the P4P-800 which is based on the 865PE chipset.
    The P4C-800 mobo is based on the 875P chipset. Either the 865PE (P4P-800) the 875P (P4C-800) chipset would be your best bet.

Thank you. I was wondering why it was never mentioned here.

I use both a P4P800 SE and a P4C800 E Deluxe -- the only thing that the P4P800 doesn't have enough of is IDE disk connections. Otherwise, it is my favorite of the two, it is quieter, requires less power, generates less heat, and works just as fast with equivalent processor and memory. It may not have Firewire or wireless, I think.

Using SATA drives, P4P800 SE has enough disk connections for most people: IDE primary (2 drives max including CD/DVD), IDE secondary (same), and 2 SATA.

By comparison, the P4C800 E has 2 more IDE's optionally in a raid configuration. But look carefully at the Asus web site, all the information is there though difficult to encompass because there are so many variants.

Thank you so much. I was looking at the P4P800 SE just now and had noticed the difference in drive capacity. Right now I've got 3 drives, and lots of room. So I figure if, eventually (and that should be quite a while) I ever need more than 4 drives I can just buy a PCI raid controller. The SE should save me about $100 now, and given how technology drops in price over time, I think that's a better investment since I don't need the extra space now.

I really do appreciate all your advice, it's a big help.

Off to ZipZoomFly to make a purchase.

Go Back to forum