• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Orchestral sample libraries in blockbusters?

Share/Bookmark

Question Orchestral sample libraries in blockbusters?

Hi all hard-working musicians!

I got an opportunity to write one or several related articles for a mainstream newspaper about the developments of computer music technology, and how it has affected the music and entertainment industry, as well as the home user.

I would like to include something about how, for example, orchestral sample libraries have been used in the movies. Does anyone happen to know some blockbusters (or at least movies well-known internationally) that to a great degree have relied on sampled instruments for the underscore? (I mean, not only used for mock-ups in the pre-production stage, but actually used in the final score.)

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated, as I have found quite limited information on this after searching the Internet.

Spectrasonics had some good credits
    (http://www.spectrasonics.net/companyinfo/film.php), but it would be valuable to be able to mention the movies that have used (orchestral) samples to the greatest degree.

Also read something about Media Ventures and Gladiator, but was not sure about the degree of samples that were used - except the real vocalists and Duduk flute etc.

Best regards,
    Anders

Re: Orchestral sample libraries in blockbusters?

You won't find many orchestral samples bein used in "blockbuster" films, as they typically have the budget for live players. The exception usually deals with time contraints. However, there's a ton of films on tiers below the A-list/tentpole flick that should be good fodder for your article - and of course television is rife with sampled orchestras.

Here's another place that should give another window into the use of sampled orchestras for film/TV/interactive media/live performance.

http://www.garritan.com/WhosUsing.html
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

VSL was used for the score of Underworld I believe. Anyonw know where that little tidbit is on thier website?

James W.G. Smith

Quote Originally Posted by James W.G. Smith
    VSL was used for the score of Underworld I believe. Anyonw know where that little tidbit is on thier website?

James W.G. Smith
    Here you go.

Not orchestral, but the boys choir and solo boy from 'Symphony of Voices' was used very prominently in John Debney's score for 'End of Days'. That solo boy 'Agnus Dei' is so distinctive I was surprised he used it unaltered.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Anders_Mahlen
    Does anyone happen to know some blockbusters (or at least movies well-known internationally) that to a great degree have relied on sampled instruments for the underscore?
    You mentioned Media Ventures, where the main figure is Hans Zimmer. Zimmer often relies upon computer generetad performance instead of real players, even when scoring for blockbusters. Check out some of the films he has been scoring lately.
    Kid: When I become an adult I wanna be a musician.
    Parent: Son, you cannot become both.

I'm convinced Troy's score is fake. The orchestral parts are written in a way to hide what a fake orchestra doesn't do as well. And I read that James Horner was given a month to do the whole score, which would make using an orchestral library sensible. Anyone know for sure?

EDIT: ok, i've found a couple places where they credit orchestrators and it's apparently "conducted by" James Horner. but i still think it sounded fake!

Quote Originally Posted by metrobot
    I'm convinced Troy's score is fake. The orchestral parts are written in a way to hide what a fake orchestra doesn't do as well. And I read that James Horner was given a month to do the whole score, which would make using an orchestral library sensible. Anyone know for sure?

EDIT: ok, i've found a couple places where they credit orchestrators and it's apparently "conducted by" James Horner. but i still think it sounded fake!
    Not to mention the fact that a couple of us saw Horner conduct the orchestra live on the internet. That is, until we took up their bandwidth and shut it down...

Quote Originally Posted by metrobot

Some of us here at NS where lucky enough to catch the live online broadcast of the score being recorded (only those with a password ). I got to see a little bit of some drum playing, not alot, but something... Basically we can confirm it was recorded with a live Orchestra, as some of us got to see it. There is no doubt the score was rushed and I think that's the reason you may not have been happy with the overall score. Listening to the score during the film I thought it was a good effort for 1 month and I did find things i liked about it. Sure, I've heard heaps of stuff better. But that's what you get when the producers stuff things up.

The movie "White Squall" in the late '90s use exclusively samples. Though the samples back then weren't very good and it's very obvious. I think the director wanted that electronic sound. I don't know why?

Actually many films with less than stellar music budgets use samples mixed in with live players. Many of these films are "A" list films. In speaking with a well know orchestrator he told me that if the music budget only allows for 30 players he'll write for 90 and fill in the missing parts with samples.

And of course almost any film that Hans Zimmer does uses not only 90 to 100 piece live orchestra, but he'll mix in his sample library to. That's how he gets that famous huge Hans Zimmer sound. Not all that is possible with live instruments.

Check out this link. It features how Zimmer used the Nuendo system to mix in his samples with live orchestra for "Arthur".

http://www.tcelectronic.com/Default....82&AjrThmId=11

Cheers,

Jose

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast