• Register
  • Help

Topic: Power usage problems

Share/Bookmark

Power usage problems

Hi everyone! I'm blurry eyed this morning after a VERY long night (and several days) of working with our Composer-In-Residence of our local symphony, and we needed to do a thorough mock-up of a new piece for Alberta's 100th Birthday (in front of the Queen, no less!). He's blown away with the GPO, and he knows Orchestras!!

Anyway, I'm running this on a P4 3.2 GHz with 1.5 gig of Ram. I've been amazed at how much power I've got from previous projects of all types (using amp plug-ins, FX, etc.). However, I was dismayed that loading up 4 Players brought my machine to it's knees. We were never able to work with more than two Players at once, which was a major drag. After MANY hours of working on this, I discovered that MOST of the instruments showed Reverb in KP at 100%. I'm POSITIVE that I loaded all Dry instruments, so I think this MAY be a bug. Has anyone noticed this? Returning the sends to 0 re-gained a LOT of the power, but I still had crackling at the full passages. I've checked all the needed polyphony for each instrument as well.

Also, I'm using a Yamaha 01X: I've been hearing that a new driver for XP is on the way, because there is a very large CPU overhead from the current driver. Perhaps this is also related to the problem.

Lastly, I read in someone's post that Hyperthreading needs to be off. Earlier versions of SampleTank had a problem with HT so it was off, but since reformatting just before Christmas, it's been back on, and things seemed OK. I didn't know that KP didn't like HT on; is this part of the problem? (so many problems, so few answers? )

Thanks in advance,

Marcel

Re: Power usage problems

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel
    After MANY hours of working on this, I discovered that MOST of the instruments showed Reverb in KP at 100%. I'm POSITIVE that I loaded all Dry instruments, so I think this MAY be a bug. Has anyone noticed this?

Lastly, I read in someone's post that Hyperthreading needs to be off. I didn't know that KP didn't like HT on; is this part of the problem? (so many problems, so few answers? Marcel
    Check again to make sure that you are using only the dry instruments even though you are positive you chose them. The reason I say this is because the dry instruments don't even contain a reverb module in their structure (there's no reverb level to turn down and no knob labeled "reverb"). I've certainly never witnessed nor heard of such a problem before. As you've surmised, only the dry instruments should be used. The wet instruments are primarily intended for auditioning purposes (that's why the update re-named the folder "Wet Audition"). Even with a fast computer a collection of wet instruments will load the processor down too much. If I were you I'd reload all the instruments (dry, of course) and re-save the song file. See if the problem goes away. If you want to be absolutely sure, delete the "Wet" or "Wet Audition" folder (depending on if you've applied the update or not) so that you only have the "dry" folder available.

As to hyperthreading: The Kontakt player definitely does not like HT turned on in the vast majority of systems. It should be turned off in your computer's BIOS and also in your sequencer, if it has the option.

Tom

I'm pretty new to GPO, but what I do with my 2.8gig P4 machine (no hyper-threading) is to lower the sampling frequency on my sound card to about 22khz and push the preload to max for working with the tracks, once I have done the basic note recording (latency is not an issue at that point).

FWIW. I am working on a piece for full orchestra currently using 60+ tracks, (8 instances of GPO), and I can run it with all tracks playing even with the dreaded occasional timp roll and get no drops or crackles. When I am ready to start actual mixing, I render all the tracks at 48khz and eliminate the VSTi's (actual audio tracks use much less processing power than VSTi's).

I guess if I wanted to do a Wagnerian production I could lower the working frequency to 8khz, or something .

Thanks for the replies, guys. I really thought with my machine I should do better than I was getting. Tom, I did check that HT is Off, and it was. I will go back over the files and re-load to be absolutely sure that Reverb is not kicking in.

I'll do a few more tests and get back to you.

Thanks again,

Marcel

Red face Re: Power usage problems

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel
    Thanks for the replies, guys. I really thought with my machine I should do better than I was getting. Tom, I did check that HT is Off, and it was. I will go back over the files and re-load to be absolutely sure that Reverb is not kicking in.

I'll do a few more tests and get back to you.

Thanks again,

Marcel
    Wow, I'm seriously embarrased. I did some testing, and staring right into the eye of this thing, I would load in a "Dry" patch, and sure enough, the Reverb module WAS there! Did it again, and then it's not! One more time and staring at, before I released to load the Program, I look over to the left and sure enough, I've slipped down to the "Wet" folder!! Unbelievable! So, in conclusion, I'm driving too fast (for sure!!), my eyesight is failing after 40 (for sure; I'm now wearing Tri-focals for heaven's sake!), or that damn type is just too small! But Tom's tip was the answer... I just removed the "wet" folder! Problem solved, and I've got my CPU back!

Thanks guys,

Marcel

Go Back to forum