• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: How do you get Timpini to cress Roll?

Share/Bookmark

How do you get Timpini to cress Roll?

I have timpini KS selected I have it set to normal sustain, but how do I switch it to a Roll? also I am getting some clicks after the attack on just hitting the timpini anyone ever run into that?

Re: How do you get Timpini to cress Roll?

Maybe I am a total moron here but I can't even get a timpini roll.
    D0 what the heck is that? do I need to load Xcustoms to get a timpini roll I shouldn't have to I can get a cymble roll, it shows the KS that i need to that but I am not seeing it for the timpini. The timpini is all one hit for keys.

There's no single key which produces a timpani roll.

You have 2 choices. You see the timpani notes highlighted on the kontakt player? With white keys between them. You can play the roll in using the left and right hands. These are the same pitches, just separated on the keyboard for easy playability.

Or use the timpani keyswitch. I think it's the "D" keyswitch. This keyswitch produces a 2nd hit of the timpani with a release trigger as the key gets released. Just keep hitting the same key and play the roll in real time using only one finger.

Jeff

Cool Re: How do you get Timpini to cress Roll?

Oddly enough, if you use the KS "D" the upper set does the "two-for-one" thing, while the lower set continues to be single. This can be helpful for finishing the roll with the flourish of a single hit OR to simulate a three-handed player!

I recall some discussions about "possibilities" of having a roll controlled (in intensity and speed) by the Mod Wheel, but I think this fell by the wayside for the GPO Update.

KevinKauai

I see all the keys except for B1 and the upper octaves highlighted to play a Timpini. White keys between them? do you use the mod wheel to get a timp roll right. Man everything is not working LOL. all the keys are dark except for B1 and the way upper octave, and everything is just one shot no matter what I do, also I am getting a small click after some hits.

ahh man this sucks...someone write a tutorial on this for us morons truly nothing I do is creating the timpni roll, and what's up with the crackling after each hit? the crackling is in anything Timpini section used, Dry, Wet, multi, bassic percussion, and it's only the timpini. Well I could use filter eq to get rid of that, but still no Timpini Roll LOL

Strangecat, assuming you are using Timpani KS instrument....
    On the GPO keyboard, scroll it down a couple of octaves until you see the orange/brown keyswitches. Hit the D key once. You won't hear any sound. Now scroll back up to the upper of the two sets of blue keys and play those. You should now get the "double hit" timp sound as described in a post above. Use these consecutively in your score to create a timp roll effect. It's not perfect but once other instruments are added, you lose the "machine gun" sound. Remember not to place each timp hit too close to the next - this helps realism. Add a little reverb and you're good to go.

In addition, you can add a 3rd hit in the roll, using the lower of the 2 sets of blue keys - thus questioning how many hands your percussionist has! I spent an hour or 2 trying to solve the same problem you are having, but with peserverence and experimentation, I managed to get the desired effect.

To help stop the clicking, reduce the polyphony from 64 to about 16 in the GPO keyboard instance. If that fails, you can always rest assured that the clicking will only appear while you work in the sequencer and should be gone once you mix down.

Hope this helps
    Regards,
    Kin
    "Life is rarely fair..." - Garlan, of Thorandall
    http://pjdeakin.blogspot.com/

Hope this helps
    Regards,
    Kin[/QUOTE]

ahh man Thanks! I am such a moron I forgot about scrolling down octaves LOL Alright yea I got it! Thanks Again!

Quote Originally Posted by StrangeCat
    ahh man Thanks! I am such a moron I forgot about scrolling down octaves LOL Alright yea I got it! Thanks Again!
    You're welcome Glad you got it sorted. Did you get rid of the clicks too?
    "Life is rarely fair..." - Garlan, of Thorandall
    http://pjdeakin.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Kinvint
    You're welcome Glad you got it sorted. Did you get rid of the clicks too?
    I am actually doing the timpini part write now doing the rolls and stuff, no clicks but getting some drop outs in Sonar LOL. maybe a memory issue or polophony even dropping the polophony I have gotten a drop out. Still I get around it. Getting clicks when playing the Timpini on the Kontakt Keyboard but not in the score.

Go Back to forum