• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Anyone using a Keystation Pro 88?

Share/Bookmark

Question Anyone using a Keystation Pro 88?

I just received one and am starting to experiment with it. I have a few questions. In the manual, it says you can plug another keyboard into the midi in and use the USB interface to connect it to the computer, but when I connect my Yamaha piano, I get no midi data from it. I have enabled the midi out to USB function, and selected the USB device (2) in Sonar. I've tried it with other cables, but no luck. Am I overlooking something?

Also, the keyboard has a heavier action than I thought it would, although it is not unpleasant. The keys seem to bounce a bit during fast passages, and I noticed that they left off the felt strip above the keys that most piano keyboards have. Has anyone installed a felt strip, and if so, did it improve anything?

Thanks.

Re: Anyone using a Keystation Pro 88?

These keyboards are OK, but they're not great IMHO. I've used one and I ended up re-selling it and then getting an Evolution MK461C...again I ended up re-selling it because the keys felt spongy and were not very playable.

Next step is an Edirol PCR-M80. This new model has a better keyboard action than it's PCR-80 predecessor and it also has improved mod/pitch lever functionality.

I'm wrestling with myself whether to get this or to get the Novation ReMOTE 25.

I believe the Big Band, Solo Strad and GPO Advanced will have features that would make use of After-touch, correct me if I'm wrong, so maybe it would be better to get the Novation, even if it has only 25 keys. It's still possible to play most musical phrases on 25 keys, as well as most chords. If I want to I can just simply press the octave key up or down as I please. 49 and 61 keys would be a whole lot better though.

I have a friend who owns a recording studio and has been playing keyboards for the better part of his life. After his recent trek to the NAMM show and trying out the PCR-M80 he claims he will be selling his Keystation Pro 88 sighting the action bothered him on the 88.
    I've also played the Keystation 88 and found it to be bothersome playing fast passages. The PCR-M80 should start hitting the shelves in April. I believe it will be worth a visit to Guitar Center to test drive the new beast!
    As for the midi routing on the keystation, no clue...sorry
    Styxx

I've been told that the PCR-M80 keyboard quality is as good as the Novation Remote 61 and the top-end roland keyboards. That's definately a winner.

I've seen one of these in person, somebody ordered one in from overseas, and I must say the keyboard feel was incredible. Certainly a damn sight better than any other 61-note keyboard except for the Novation where I'd say it would come equal first. The PCR-M80 does not have encoders which you can turn infinitely (non-stop) and an XY touchpad that you get with the Nova, but apart from that the keyboard feel of the PCR-M80 is very much alike the Nova, a little lighter than the Nova, but definately the same league of quality and playability.

Mod/pitch lever is better, with a better higher resolution than the PCR-80. The sliders and knobs are good quality too.

Overall, this PCR-M80 is for serious musicians, it's certainly no toy keyboard, and it's leaps and bounds ahead of the M-Audio and Evolution keyboards.

If you want a cheap MIDI controller with USB functionality and don't care about the lack of touchpad or infinite encoder knobs, you can trust that the PCR-M80 will serve you well.

touchpad or infinite encoder knobs
    Benjamind, could you clue me in on these features?
    Thanks
    Styxx

You know? As much we all ask about various keyboards, (even my oldest brother is asking me about one for my neice), perhaps we need a thread at northerns sounds for this? Is that overkill? Maybe stick to harmony central for this stuff?

Sincerley,

Jonathan

I spent quite a bit of time researching and playing different keyboards, and I settled on The Keystation Pro 88. I almost bought the Edirol PCR-80, but I personally don't like the Roland lever for modulation. I wanted a mod wheel. There seems to be a lot written about the Keystation Pro 88 from people that don't have one. I did find from my research that early models had serious problems, especially with the keybed. Current models have fixed those problems, and after playing a lot of keyboards I would say it felt almost exactly like the Kurzweil 2600. I like it far better than any of the cheaper Roland and Fatar synth keyboards I played. I own a Fatar synth keyboard and a Yamaha piano, and the Keystation is much more like the Yamaha than the Fatar. The Yamaha is certainly more refined and closer to the Yamaha grand pianos I've played, but it cost more than double what the Keystation Pro 88 did. The Keystation key throw is longer, more like my 1908 upright grand, but with proper selection of a velocity curve, it is quite capable of sensitive and expressive playing. I've been using it with the Vintaudio C7 in GS3 and it sounds beautiful.
    Maybe there are inconsistancies in the production, but my experience with it has been more like the very positive Keyboard Magazine review than the negative user reviews I've read. BTW, I chose this over the Novation ReMote 61.

That said, I don't want advice on different keyboards. I want to know if users of the Keystation Pro 88 can answer my original question about the midi in jack and using it with another keyboard.

Thanks.

I did find from my research that early models had serious problems, especially with the keybed. Current models have fixed those problems,
    I tried the unit out about a week ago and the black keys were too low. Are you saying the current newly shipped batch of Keystations rectified this?
    Styxx

well these are coming out in April
    http://www.cme-pro.com/product.html
    on the Sound on Sound forum very good reports have been
    given on build and key action.

$500 for 88, $400 for 76 and $300 for 61 keys.

the c.m.e have aftertouch and apparently the Roland does not.....

p.s. if the Chinese enter the music market on a grand scale...prices...are going
    to fall...

Go Back to forum