• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO in Logic (Q)

GPO in Logic (Q)

Has anyone set up GPO such that each instance of the player loads only a single instrument? If so, how does this work performance-wise? Is the player as "small" as EXS24 in terms of CPU/RAM usage? I think I might need to go this route in order to facilitate easier mixing with my FW1884. Right now I'm using the 8-audio-objects-routed-to-a-single-instance method, which works well. However, the FW1884 only sees that instance as ONE object, so I have to control the volume/automation with a single fader, rather than multiple faders.

Any other solutions are appreciated...

Re: GPO in Logic (Q)

It is funny that you are asking about using one sound per instance. I made the tutorial on the Garritan website about using GPO in Logic yet I found that by running one instance per sound I got a huge amount of improvement. Each instance uses about 3-4 meg of ram (empty). This is also the only way to get it to use both processors. I also use an FW1884. Do you have the probeelm of having to keep turning off/on the FW1884 initially to get it to stay connected to the firewire?

Chris - Thanks for the tip. I'll reorg my Autoload then and just have GPO setup as a "one instrument per instance" type thing. With that little overhead, it will be nice to have the flexibility of individual fader control.

With my FW1884, I actually broke down and bought another FW card. My setup also has 2 external FW drives, and since I turn the 1884 off when not in use, it was totally freaking out the FW bus of the HDs. For fear of losing data, I bought a cheap FW card, put the 2 drives on that, and have ONLY the 1884 on the internal FW bus. Since doing that, I've had no problems with this setup, and I don't have to power cycle the 1884 at all.

Got my FW card from Newegg - it was a Syba (with NEC chip) for $13.50 including shipping.

Chris - I noticed something interesting. When checking activity monitor, it appears that each instance of GPO (when a separate instance is loaded on each track) the Kontakt Player is actually taking up roughly 10MB per instance - much more than your 3MB estimate.

I'm using the latest build of Logic and GPO, with a Dual 1.8Ghz G5 and 1GB RAM. Even at 10MB per, it isn't too bad...but 3MB would be better!

How did you arrive at your 3MB number?

To compare don't you have to load one instrument patch slot in the kontact player, then do several tracks like this... then compare to a single kontact player with the same number and same exact patches loaded into various slots on the player?

I'm not really sure...? I just loaded the player without any patches in the instrument slots and each instance was taking up +/- 10MB RAM.

Please, Please, Please

People can anybody help me?
    I've bean trying to solve this for some time now.
    OK, I was never able to load more than one instrument per in GPO KONTAKT
    in LOGIC 6.4.3 ????
    It simply doesn't work as described in GPO-LOGIC manual by Kevin Rix
    Steps 10 ,11 ..... are not working.
    Once I choose new track with the same Instrument (1) and try to assign MIDI CH 2 to it, LOGIC changes MIDI CH # in track 1 to MIDI CH 2 ????
    I can't have one GPO-KONTAKT instance with loaded multi instruments in it
    assigned to a different sequencer tracks.
    Please, please, please
    As I said, this is something that I'm trying to solve for some time now and it's very, very frustrating.
    Just to mention, I use 'LOGIC' since it's ATARI-NOTATOR days back in 1988 and can't consider myself a beginner, but this one is giving me a hard time.
    Thanks everyone, I hope that someone will be able to shed some light.

Try Chris's tutorials instead - they worked fine for me:

Quote Originally Posted by Indicator
    Try Chris's tutorials instead - they worked fine for me:

Thanks Indicator
    I knew that that way it must work but wanted confirmation that Kontakt-Logic-Multi Instrument doesn't work as it's suppose to and that Kevins manual is wrong.
    Thank You very much

Go Back to forum