• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: A prelim look at VSTi hosts

Share/Bookmark

A prelim look at VSTi hosts

I have been looking for a solution for VST instrument hosts, and this is what I have found so far:

1) V-Stack. Possibly the best solution (I have not tried it but I know others who are using it ok), however it has a requirement of Windows 2000 or XP. My target does not have this. It does allow multi-midi inputs and multi-VSTi I am told. http://www.steinbergusa.net/Products/V_stack.htm?sid=0

2) Chainer. Probably an ideal solution except it is not a multi-midi input application. This fix is supposed to be in the works. Windows only. http://www.xlutop.com/index.html

3) Spin Audio ASIO FX Processor SE. Interesting, but only loads one VST instrument. Windows only. http://www.spinaudio.com/downloads_trial.html#asiofxpse

4) Plogue Bidule. VSampler shows up in the instrument list, but not Kontakt. I did not play with it enough to get any sound out of it. http://www.plogue.com/e_soft.html

5)VSTiHost. Something for you Mac people. Only hosts one VSTi. http://www.defectiverecords.com/vstihost/index2.html

6) Simple Virtual Host. I thought this was a winner. Hosts 4 VSTi, 12 VST in four chains of 4 slots, each slot with its own midi input, all more than enough for one system (64 tracks plus effects). Only problem, I could not get any sound out of it. Midi went in, the samplers were sending sound, but no sound on the output. Too bad. See www.kvr-vst.com get this. It may work for you. Or maybe I did something wrong. Freeware I believe.

Other thing I am still testing. Join the fun at http://www.kvr-vst.com/ , look at upper right hand corner for the \"Host Links\". I may have more to add later. Any other comments or ideas out there?

=============================
    NEW!
    Just found something new. I downloaded it and tried it, and darned if it don\'t work! I think I am getting this one. Its called Console and its made in Japan. There is an english version and an english tutorial:
    http://www.console.jp/eng/index.html
    Now I like this one! Drag and drop components (midi in, VSTi [like Kontakt], VST, audio out...) onto the work area, drag connectors from the ins to the outs, hit \"Play\" and it works! I used MidiOverLan to control this, no problem. It even has CPU meters and a midi piano roll just for yuks, not to mention a virtual keyboard for the midi components. Nice. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Re: A prelim look at VSTi hosts

For you do-it-yourselfers out there, find vsthost.zip [VSTHost], which has the source code included. The program may not be all that useful, but it may have all you need to start your own project, or expand the current one.

Just to jump in here, are you planning on using this for QLSO? That\'ll require 2K/XP anyway, I believe the library files are going to be over the 4GB FAT32 limit, requiring you to use NTFS and an OS that will read it.

Originally posted by SOD213:
    Just to jump in here, are you planning on using this for QLSO? That\'ll require 2K/XP anyway, I believe the library files are going to be over the 4GB FAT32 limit, requiring you to use NTFS and an OS that will read it.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I may be mistaken, but you may be mixing some things up here. A few points:
    1) While my main DAW is XP PRO, the other cpu\'s are not. And no, I have no near term plans to go QLSO just yet, but that could change in twinkling of an eye.
    2) FAT 32 is not a real limit. All of my CPUs have at least one 120 GB drive, and the whole QLSO library weighs in at about 65 gigs I am told.
    3) Memory is a limitation in WIN SE, limited to 1 GB. Which means, if you are going to use QLSO and WIN SE, your are going to need more computers to match a 4 GB mem XP systems, if you assume you want everything loaded similar to the XP systems. FXFreeze may change the way this is all calculated.
    4) I think the performance of 4 WIN SE systems will be close to 4 WIN XP systems for QLSO, if you can assume you are using DFD. No DFD and it is a lot of memory and XP as the way to go.
    5) Whatever route to take, for large templates that also use VSTi\'s, some kind of host needs to be used, which can prepare you to use a library like QLSO, or any library that is Kontakt or imported into Kontakt (or VSampler, or Halion, or SampleTank, or...).

are you not using a sequencer with VST implimentation, is this why? Or is it purely for a seperate machine, in which case you should really consider FXTeleport

Originally posted by KingIdiot:
    are you not using a sequencer with VST implimentation, is this why? Or is it purely for a seperate machine, in which case you should really consider FXTeleport
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I do have a sequencer with VST implimentation.
    It is not clear to me that FXTeleport can create multiple VSTi instances on the slave target. Can it? Can it also chain VST/VSTi on the slave target? If the answer is yes to both, then FXTeleport is a good solution. The only trouble I have with it is that I want to mix/process different audio streams from each targets sound card because I want to process various sections differently. This would not be an issue with QLSO.

ok

FXT works with multiple VSTi\'s. All it is is a \"wrapper\". Imagine running a VST with a software \"router\" before hand. Thats what FXT is similar too. It can load up as many VST\'s as your Sequencer will allow.

Multiple channels come back jsut like a normal VST does. If I have Kontakt I can set it to send back 8 mono and 6 stereo if I\'d like, and FXT will do this. Cubase will see ALL the channels, I can process them however I\'d like.

with regards to Audio plugs, if you need to chain multiple of them in one chain *BEFORE* you send the audio back over thee LAN you can use an app like chainer or similar through FXT (you dont Need ot do this, but it saves from compounding latency)

ANYONE..... A N Y O N E interested in running VST applications/plugs should get FXT. Its that freaking simple. I\'ve never been behind an audio product so much in my life. I dotn know anyone who cant benefit from it. NO ONE. It may not be the answer to everyone\'s problems, but its definitely usefull.

Yes, I can see the advantages of FXT, and if you (KI) are saying I can also manage to send different (processed) instruments out different channels of my Master multi-channel audio card. That would take care of the need to split up the mix with the Slaves. On reflection, I can see how Chainer/Console, which are VST themselves, could host VSTi and VST processing on Slave systems and stream over the net to the Master (via FXT), which could then send audio out over various audio channels of a multi-port audio card. Or is this not possible? Seems logical.
    If/when I add more CPUs to my LAN net (soon), that is when I will work in FXT, because I will not need an audio card ($$$), which will also save some mix input space. Hopefully FXT will be compat with the other software, like MidiOverLan.

Originally posted by dwdonehoo:
    I may be mistaken, but you may be mixing some things up here. A few points:
    1) While my main DAW is XP PRO, the other cpu\'s are not. And no, I have no near term plans to go QLSO just yet, but that could change in twinkling of an eye.
    2) FAT 32 is not a real limit. All of my CPUs have at least one 120 GB drive, and the whole QLSO library weighs in at about 65 gigs I am told.
    3) Memory is a limitation in WIN SE, limited to 1 GB. Which means, if you are going to use QLSO and WIN SE, your are going to need more computers to match a 4 GB mem XP systems, if you assume you want everything loaded similar to the XP systems. FXFreeze may change the way this is all calculated.
    4) I think the performance of 4 WIN SE systems will be close to 4 WIN XP systems for QLSO, if you can assume you are using DFD. No DFD and it is a lot of memory and XP as the way to go.
    5) Whatever route to take, for large templates that also use VSTi\'s, some kind of host needs to be used, which can prepare you to use a library like QLSO, or any library that is Kontakt or imported into Kontakt (or VSampler, or Halion, or SampleTank, or...). [/QB]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">FAT32 has a *filesize* limit of 4GB, meaning you can\'t have any single files larger than 4GB, regardless of drive size. I believe the QLSO files range in size from 5GB-13GB, meaning NTFS would be required for them.

For everything else, your assumptions are correct.

To run out to hardware you just route the same way you route stuff as if its running on your host machine.

FXT jsut tricks your host computer into thinking the VST stuff running on your slaves is still running on your host. The audio routing doesn\'t change its just the data path.

Also remember Chainer is only 2 channels right now, so its not that great for chaining VSTi\'s, but its good for VST plugins

Go Back to forum