• Register
  • Help

Topic: Score to picture

Share/Bookmark

Score to picture

As a wanna-be film scorer I have to create exercises for myself.

So a friend found this trailer but the sound effects are tied to the real music.

I've scored this without sound FX as a score to picture. It has been pointed out to me that film trailers are very sparse (Storm Drum/fx and one note ) I did this as a score to picture but I know its nearly impossible to be separated from context like that.

Anyone care to critique me on my score's tie to the picture? Is it done like a score? Does it tell you anything about the picture? That kinda stuff...

score to picture

Re: Score to picture

Your work is definitely more musical than what is used for most trailers. I found myself wanting more fx for sure - especially around the cuts.

The best (most pastiche) work was at the very end. You worked it up to a climax and then let it hang there. Very nice.

The other thing that one often finds with trailers that I found missing is the VOTA sound. (But note that the VOTA licence prohibits you from using it with trailers!) I wonder if the new EWQL choir will have similar limitations?

It's amazing how we expect a very specific formula for movie trailers, isn't it?

Oh yeah, and we need that deep, breathy voice saying "In a time without time. In a place without a place. One man...".

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by rJames
    As a wanna-be film scorer I have to create exercises for myself.

So a friend found this trailer but the sound effects are tied to the real music.

I've scored this without sound FX as a score to picture. It has been pointed out to me that film trailers are very sparse (Storm Drum/fx and one note ) I did this as a score to picture but I know its nearly impossible to be separated from context like that.

Anyone care to critique me on my score's tie to the picture? Is it done like a score? Does it tell you anything about the picture? That kinda stuff...

score to picture
    Why practice on your own so much. Call your local film school and volunteer to score some shorts then graduate to actually doing it for a living. There's no better learning tool than working.

I found the trailer to be very interesting musically. I'd probably ask you to inprove on the sound quality and I think that there are too many musical ideas for one scene or trailer. Find a motive that fits and work it until you can't work it can't take it no more then find another motive.

Keep working.

Cheers,

Jose

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SiliconAudioLabs
    I went looking for that same trailer but you found it first.

Best.

Trailer.

Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    The other thing that one often finds with trailers that I found missing is the VOTA sound. (But note that the VOTA licence prohibits you from using it with trailers!) I wonder if the new EWQL choir will have similar limitations?
    Hi Jon, Nick I believe, confirmed that this is no longer the case.
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com
    ---------------------------

"No - you're actually fired!" I love that line.

rJames - do you have the link to original movie (Imortal) so I can see how the producers intended and rolled it out?

I got it from a friend but I googled it

Immortel

Its probably here somewhere.

I didn't do it like a trailer (evidently) and don't have Choirs...yet.

I also did not listen to it before I started because I didn't want to be influenced.

I like your work better. Like John said: "we expect a very specific formula".

I for one get REAL tired of - Aahhhhhh..Aaaahhhhhh. Even if the movie is a comedy about cow tipping: AahhhhhAahhhhha..AhhhhAhhhhh - MOOOOOOoooooo - AhhhhhhhAahhhhhhh!

I have to battle all the time w/ my productions to change the preconceptions a bit and it is not easy.

The one thing that helps trailers in general is powerful acting. Rest assured the best bits are always pasted into the trailer.

Then add in the sound fx and sound design - sometimes EXTRA ramped up for the trailer.

The original clip I just listened to: Ahhhhhhh...Ahhhhhh..Ahhhhhh for the first 2/3's and of course the dialog and sfx.

One trick you could try is to get some one to pull out the dialog and do some sound fx for you and then mix your comp/mock-up with that.

You might be impressed at how well your work will stack up at that point.

Go Back to forum